Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

i think i may want to drop out of university Watch

ReputationRep:
    delete.

ReputationRep:
    I think you need to try and address the problems you're having with your uni work before you think about dropping out. Is there anywhere you can go to get help on your essay writing? I bought a wall planner at the start of the year and it really helps you remember your deadlines, speak to your tutor about your concerns, see how it goes after the Christmas break, things may start to improve.

I completely understand about the friend situation because I'm in a similar one myself, is there any way you can join a club or society? Try and force yourself to go out with your flatmates one night, even if it's just for an hour or two, you never know you may start to like it and people are often a lot friendlier when they're drunk!

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hey =)

I'm so sorry to hear that you feel like that. I felt the same way when I started university 2 years ago except I only lasted until mid October and then dropped out, so you've done way better than me already!

I think you need to look at it from 2 perspectives before you decide anything. Firstly the university itself. Are you unhappy because you have no friends? Do you think you would feel differently if you had friends? When I started uni first time round, I didn't really have friends but I just had this feeling that even if I did, I just wasn't in the right place, you know, just a gut feeling about it. You mentioned that your university is in quite a big city - do you think you would be happier in a smaller city? I was at Glasgow initially, and I'm from a small village and I realised I would just be happier in a smaller city. Maybe that's something you should think about? If you don't think that the university itself is the problem, maybe you should be looking at ways to get yourself out there and make friends - maybe look at joining clubs or societies? I bet there are loads.

Second, it sounds as if you need to think about whether your course is right for you. Did you just pick it because you were good at it at school? You need to think about what job it's going to get you at the end of it (if any) and if you can see yourself doing something english related for the rest of your life. In my case, yes I was interested in my subject but it wasn't going to get me the job I wanted, so I switched unviersity AND course onto a more vocational course. If you think the course IS right, then there are ways to help you get around your problems with the email and library. My uni has IT support services who help you with all that, and the librarians are really friendly and always around to ask. You just need to work up the courage to ask!

So I think you really need to weigh things up, what is making you unhappy, and are there things that you can do to fix it and make yourself happier, or would you still be miserable in that university environment even if you had friends? If you decide that there is no way anything is going to fix how you feel, based on what I've said. Then talk to your parents about dropping out. They probably already realise how miserable you are. I expected my parents to hit the roof when I told them, but actually they realised I was unhappy, and were proud of me for taking a scary decision and admitting that I had picked the wrong course/university. Think about what you would do, would you reapply to a different uni, or get a job and work for a while? I worked in a shop for a year after I dropped out, and honestly, it was the best experience of my life. I grew up SO much in that year, learned about valuing money that I've earnt myself.

I hope all of this rambling helps, and that one way or another you'll be happy. Don't be scared to drop out because it was the best decision I made. I'm now in second year at a new university on a new course, and I'm much much happier!

ReputationRep:
    You sound unhappy mate you can always go to another uni next year, you really don't sound happy make a careers appointment and then make a decision?

ReputationRep:
    It's never to late to make friends, are there some societies you could maybe join?

ReputationRep:
    Go to your student advice centre and just explain your situation. Look into other possibilities but don't rush it. If need be finish this year of uni and if you're still sure that the uni/course/etc. isn't for you then withdraw and perhaps apply elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles0ox)
    It's never to late to make friends, are there some societies you could maybe join?
    I'm not very independent, or a big mixture, I'd be too scared to go to a society on my own. Most people here make friends in their lectures and go along to a society with them. I did join the English Society, but the first meeting was at 9 at a bar, and i didn't fancy walking there on my own at night. And I haven't got any further updates.

Thanks for all the replies so far. Really helpful advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkmonkey3)
    I'm not very independent, or a big mixture, I'd be too scared to go to a society on my own. Most people here make friends in their lectures and go along to a society with them. I did join the English Society, but the first meeting was at 9 at a bar, and i didn't fancy walking there on my own at night. And I haven't got any further updates.

Thanks for all the replies so far. Really helpful advice.
    ah okay, well atm i dont really have much advice
    good luck anyway

ReputationRep:
    where are you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rob1000)
    where are you?
    in a city university in ireland

ReputationRep:
    In all seriousness, there is more to life than University - that's what my parents and grandparents always tell me. There is plenty more out there that you can get on with and will enjoy doing.

I myself am joining the Navy as an officer straight out of college and I often think to myself, do I really want to be going to war for the rest of my life? I want a family and I want to be able to spend as much time as I can with them. I then remind myself that in life, anything can happen. You may well be stuck at Uni doing a crap degree, bored out of your mind at the moment, but if you think about 15 years into the future, you could be in the job of your dreams. You may not know what that is right now, but you've got all the time in the world to figure it out

If you are really really sure that you will not regret it later, I would advise dropping out of Uni - cutting your loses and moving on with life.

A prime example of going from zero to hero is Seasick Steve. He once said:

"Hobos are people who move around looking for work, tramps are people who move around but don't look for work, and bums are people who don't move and don't work. I've been all three."

Now look at him - he's a world famous blues musician. I'm not saying grow a beard and buy a guitar, I'm just saying - life takes us down strange roads.

ReputationRep:
    talk to your personal tutor about the problems with your course and tell your parents how you feel im sure they would understand, try to make things better before you decide to leave though. i've been quite unhappy in uni and i've emailed societies and going to join them after christmas which is a good way to meet new people and i hated the course at first but i'm at least going to do the first year. if you still feel unhappy then do what you feel is right but at least give it a go first, you dont wanna regret anything

ReputationRep:
    From your title, I was going to say you're unsure so make certain you know what you want ... but (and I don't usually like doing this, it's up to the individual to decide how they feel, not for someone to tell them it) you sound dreadfully unhappy. That said, you do also still sound confused.

There is no way you can avoid losing money on this now, so go home over Christmas and get away from uni. Being somewhere else, somewhere calmer, can really help get some perspective on it. Have a think over Christmas, and if you decide you don't wish to return to uni, contact them then and start the procedure to leave.

Good luck.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.