Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am currently doing AS: Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Physics and I am doing well in all of these subjects (predicted A*A*AA). I am worried about if I can get into LSE L100 or L101 because of my bad GCSE grades:

English Language B
    English Literature A (3/200 marks away from an A*)
    Maths A*
    Double sciences AA*
    Product design A (13/300 marks away from an A*)
    Business Studies B
    Business and information technology A*
    Chinese A*
    ICT (OCR National) 2A*s2As
    Religious Studies (Short course) A (5/100 marks away from an A*)

Achieved bad GCSEs grades since I got into a bad school when I was doing my GCSEs. And now I have got into a good state school so I would like to know if I still have a chance of getting into LSE or do I need to resit all of my GCSEs which I haven't got an A* on ? Will LSE consider the overall academic results of my old school? If I don't stand a chance of getting into LSE, which universities will fit me? Thank you

P.S. I definitely want to do straight economics or economics with maths in university.

ReputationRep:
    how are those bad gcse grades? i bet you felt like showing off... well done for embarrassing yourself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by air-ninety-one)
    how are those bad gcse grades? i bet you felt like showing off... well done for embarrassing yourself
    To be honest, I am not showing off. Do you think I if I have a chance to get in ? Most of the people applied for LSE have an insane number of A* for their GCSEs.....

ReputationRep:
    this

ReputationRep:
    again, this.

ReputationRep:
    So 6 A*s? cba to check. it's worth applying. Comes down to your personal statement imo.

ReputationRep:
    Don't bother doing resits, they won't accept them. And I might apply to LSE with 4 A*, 1 A, 5 B and a C depending on how my AS and A2 turn out so you won't be the worst candidate, but it will be more difficult than if you had a straight-A profile obviously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EDM)
    To be honest, I am not showing off. Do you think I if I have a chance to get in ? Most of the people applied for LSE have an insane number of A* for their GCSEs.....
    your as/a2 matter much much more than gcse's. i can't really see the significance of gcse's when applying to uni. i got an offer from UCL and I didn't get any A*'s in gcse's. i got an A in maths and AB in science double, and B in English... I'm sure as long as you pass with a C or above in English, maths, science, they wouldn't mind.

ReputationRep:
    You've got about the average number of A*s for a successful applicant for L101. Possibly just under, but not by far enough to be significant. To compensate (and put yourself in as strong a position possible), don't just aim for As at AS but for 90%+ in every module. If you can manage that, it's all down to showing interest in and flair for the subject.

ReputationRep:
    And getting really good UMS at AS would compensate for the GCSEs, so yah..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCC-MGS)
    Don't bother doing resits, they won't accept them. And I might apply to LSE with 4 A*, 1 A, 5 B and a C depending on how my AS and A2 turn out so you won't be the worst candidate, but it will be more difficult than if you had a straight-A profile obviously.
    Don't they really accept resit? I thought they did.... Thank you for your advice by the way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asdfg0987)
    So 6 A*s? cba to check. it's worth applying. Comes down to your personal statement imo.
    But those 4 grades for ICT (OCR National) 2A*s2As are not real GCSEs, they ar ejust equivalence.... So will LSE still consider them ?

ReputationRep:
    your as/a2 matter much much more than gcse's. i can't really see the significance of gcse's when applying to uni. i got an offer from UCL and I didn't get any A*'s in gcse's. i got an A in maths and AB in science double, and B in English... I'm sure as long as you pass with a C or above in English, maths, science, they wouldn't mind.
    But I guess you did really well in A-level and had a strong personal statement, didn't you ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philosopher-of-sorts)
    You've got about the average number of A*s for a successful applicant for L101. Possibly just under, but not by far enough to be significant. To compensate (and put yourself in as strong a position possible), don't just aim for As at AS but for 90%+ in every module. If you can manage that, it's all down to showing interest in and flair for the subject.
    I will try my best, tank you for your advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EDM)
    I am currently doing AS: Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Physics and I am doing well in all of these subjects (predicted A*A*AA). I am worried about if I can get into LSE L100 or L101 because of my bad GCSE grades:

English Language B
    Maths A*
    Double sciences AA*
    Business Studies B
    Chinese A*

Achieved bad GCSEs grades since I got into a bad school when I was doing my GCSEs. And now I have got into a good state school so I would like to know if I still have a chance of getting into LSE or do I need to resit all of my GCSEs which I haven't got an A* on ? Will LSE consider the overall academic results of my old school? If I don't stand a chance of getting into LSE, which universities will fit me? Thank you

P.S. I definitely want to do straight economics or economics with maths in university.

Yeah your GCSEs are sooooooooo bad.

ReputationRep:
    I just remember reading they look into your GCSE subject profile, don't know if they'll consider the 4 grades. Call them up/email!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EDM)

English Language B
    Maths A*
    Double sciences AA*
    Business Studies B
    Chinese A*

To be frank, universities wont be interested in "oh but I was only a couple of marks away..." The fact is, you never got them.

Regarding the actual grades achieved, I wouldn't advise you to apply to LSE; they're very picky with grading, and wouldn't accept things such as "Business" as a credible GCSE.

Although, your chances would be strengthened if you applied to Oxford; they're more concerned with your A-Level grades.

ReputationRep:
    1. Applying to LSE

2. Applying to Economics

Please don't just randomly comment in a thread when the poster is actually looking for advice from people who know a bit about the topic.

The bit in bold is beyond funny given 1. and 2.

(Original post by EDM)
    But I guess you did really well in A-level and had a strong personal statement, didn't you ?
    Don't listen to him.

Your GCSEs aren't great for LSE L100, but by no means too bad. Just do your best in AS exams (are you sitting them in June or have you got them already?). You have strong subjects so not all is lost

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    1. Applying to LSE

2. Applying to Economics

Please don't just randomly comment in a thread when the poster is actually looking for advice from people who know a bit about the topic.

The bit in bold is beyond funny given 1. and 2.
    how? loads of people have gotten into top uni's without As and A*s at GCSE's. i got mostly C's apart from the core subjects and i got an offer from LSE.

you are the second person to embarrass themselves in this thread... (look at 2nd post)

ReputationRep:
    how? loads of people have gotten into top uni's without As and A*s at GCSE's. i got mostly C's apart from the core subjects and i got an offer from LSE.

you are the second person to embarrass themselves in this thread... (look at 2nd post)
    For LSE L101? The average GCSE profile of a successful candidate for L101 is around 8A*, if I remember correctly. There are 16 applicants per place, and while it has been known for candidates with as few as 2A*s to get on, its exceedingly rare.

As I said earlier, with a very strong AS result (e.g. 90%+ in each module) he could stand a good chance, but otherwise it's a 'super-reach', in American terminology. Danny is pretty accurate in what he's saying (one would hope he would be, since he is on the course).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.