The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Do I stand a chance of getting into LSE?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by air-ninety-one
how? loads of people have gotten into top uni's without As and A*s at GCSE's. i got mostly C's apart from the core subjects and i got an offer from LSE.

you are the second person to embarrass themselves in this thread... (look at 2nd post)

1. I simply don't believe you.

2. Assuming you speak the truth and got in to LSE for BSc Economics with no As or A* at GCSE level, then that is a rare exception. You can't fool people, and give them wrong hope.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by danny111
1. I simply don't believe you.

2. Assuming you speak the truth and got in to LSE for BSc Economics with no As or A* at GCSE level, then that is a rare exception. You can't fool people, and give them wrong hope.

well i firstly said, i know people, and secondly i said, i got mostly C's apart from in the core subjects. being maths A, english A and science AB. everything else was a C or maybe 1 or 2 B's. i said this exact same thing earlier in this thread
Reply 22
I have an unconditional offer for Law from the LSE and I have relatively poor GCSE grades (well at least for the typical LSE candidate), you can check my profile to see those. They definitely take on board the caliber of your school and seeing as you're doing amazingly well in your A-Levels thus far I'd say you definitely stand a chance! Obviously a lot rests on your personal statement so you need to make sure it conveys a real passion to study the subject.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 23
well i firstly said, i know people, and secondly i said, i got mostly C's apart from in the core subjects. being maths A, english A and science AB. everything else was a C or maybe 1 or 2 B's. i said this exact same thing earlier in this thread

What subject?

And yea I know people, too. All of them have a lot of A* on the econ course. Now I am not claiming all 200 or so of them do, but since all the ones that I know do, I know what I think.
Original post by EDM
I am currently doing AS: Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Physics and I am doing well in all of these subjects (predicted A*A*AA). I am worried about if I can get into LSE L100 or L101 because of my bad GCSE grades:

English Language B
English Literature A (3/200 marks away from an A*)
Maths A*
Double sciences AA*
Product design A (13/300 marks away from an A*)
Business Studies B
Business and information technology A*
Chinese A*
ICT (OCR National) 2A*s2As
Religious Studies (Short course) A (5/100 marks away from an A*)

Achieved bad GCSEs grades since I got into a bad school when I was doing my GCSEs. And now I have got into a good state school so I would like to know if I still have a chance of getting into LSE or do I need to resit all of my GCSEs which I haven't got an A* on ? Will LSE consider the overall academic results of my old school? If I don't stand a chance of getting into LSE, which universities will fit me? Thank you :smile:

P.S. I definitely want to do straight economics or economics with maths in university.

Look, I'm not going to say that you're trying to 'show off' your GCSE grades, but one thing needs to be made clear to people on TSR.

DO NOT ASSUME THAT THE MEMBERS OF TSR ARE WHOLLY REPRESENTATIVE OF THE ENTIRE STUDENT BODY. THEY ARE NOT.

The people who post on TSR tend to be people very interested in their education, and in particular, university study. Looking around at people's GCSEs on here, you will probably calculate that an average student has GCSEs such as...A*A*A*AAABBBB. That's not what the average student has. Christ, those GCSEs are fantastic compared to most. Getting that many A*s and As will probably put you in the top 85% of students.

Bad GCSEs would be something like CDEEEUUUUUU. Those would be bad GCSEs. I really wish people would stop referring to their GCSEs as bad when they have a collection of As and A*s. Compared to most TSRians, your GCSEs are above average. Compared to the student body as a whole, they're great.

As for your LSE application, your predicted A2 grades are very good, you have 6A*s, yes you stand a chance of getting into LSE.
Reply 25
Original post by EDM
I am currently doing AS: Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Physics and I am doing well in all of these subjects (predicted A*A*AA). I am worried about if I can get into LSE L100 or L101 because of my bad GCSE grades:

English Language B
English Literature A (3/200 marks away from an A*)
Maths A*
Double sciences AA*
Product design A (13/300 marks away from an A*)
Business Studies B
Business and information technology A*
Chinese A*
ICT (OCR National) 2A*s2As
Religious Studies (Short course) A (5/100 marks away from an A*)

Achieved bad GCSEs grades since I got into a bad school when I was doing my GCSEs. And now I have got into a good state school so I would like to know if I still have a chance of getting into LSE or do I need to resit all of my GCSEs which I haven't got an A* on ? Will LSE consider the overall academic results of my old school? If I don't stand a chance of getting into LSE, which universities will fit me? Thank you :smile:

P.S. I definitely want to do straight economics or economics with maths in university.

5A*3A2B? Quick check yeah..?
These are considered to be quite poor in the case of applying for economics at LSE, don't worry most people are ignorant of the fact.
You have not totally ruined your chances mind.
First check my blog, you will find advice on:
i) What A levels to choose for LSE, Oxbridge, UCL and Warwick etc.
ii) Your personal statement - this will as you know be crucial to LSE
iii) Get your referee to mention how bad your school is on a reference.

You will fit all universities (Warwick, UCL could be an issue - Oxbridge don't care as much as people think about GCSEs), people have got into LSE L100 with worse GCSEs.but have fantastic personal statements and AS results.
how? loads of people have gotten into top uni's without As and A*s at GCSE's. i got mostly C's apart from the core subjects and i got an offer from LSE.

you are the second person to embarrass themselves in this thread... (look at 2nd post)

fickle FAIL http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=28723240&postcount=3
Loads of misinformation in this thread. OP ignore all of air-ninety-one's posts.

Your GCSE profile is A*A*A*A*(A*A*AA)AAAABB. I don't know about how they deal with equivalents but in any case 4A*-6A* is below-average for a typical LSE L101 student. Your A-level subjects are perfect and your prediction is very good.

I think overall you should go for it but you absolutely must write a superb personal statement and balance your UCAS choices with realistically obtainable universities.
Reply 29
Sorry, I found this thread quite weird.

I study law at the LSE so maybe I don't count. But my friend doing straight econ didn't get such good grades at GCSE; 2A*s, 5As and 2 Bs. (I'm proofreading his CV and cover letter now so I have the grades in front of me lol) That is an excellent grade no doubt, but no where near as high as your 5A*s...

And with your excellent AS results and expected A level grade, I'm sure you stand a very good chance, given you have a good PS.

My GCSEs, if it helps, weren't even GCSEs. They were overseas grades.

Plus my module grades in AS for some of them were shockingly low... I remember for Biology, getting a C in one module... and the university knew I was resitting them because I didn't put my grade in for the third module.

I hope you get in.
Reply 30
EDM
OP

1. Applying to LSE

2. Applying to Economics

Please don't just randomly comment in a thread when the poster is actually looking for advice from people who know a bit about the topic.

The bit in bold is beyond funny given 1. and 2.

Don't listen to him.

Your GCSEs aren't great for LSE L100, but by no means too bad. Just do your best in AS exams (are you sitting them in June or have you got them already?). You have strong subjects so not all is lost :smile:

I am sitting them in June.
Reply 31
EDM
OP

But did you get all A* in your A-level subjects and have a really strong personal statement?
Have you got any interviews before you get in?
Reply 32
EDM
OP
Original post by Sports Racer

Original post by Sports Racer
Loads of misinformation in this thread. OP ignore all of air-ninety-one's posts.

Your GCSE profile is A*A*A*A*(A*A*AA)AAAABB. I don't know about how they deal with equivalents but in any case 4A*-6A* is below-average for a typical LSE L101 student. Your A-level subjects are perfect and your prediction is very good.

I think overall you should go for it but you absolutely must write a superb personal statement and balance your UCAS choices with realistically obtainable universities.

Can you give me some examples of 'realistically obtainable universities'? I am confused.
Reply 33
Original post by EDM
I am sitting them in June.

Well if you get >90 UMS in them then defo apply. If not but still good I would still say apply, you have 5 choices so why not aim high for some. Just don't get your hopes up too high (and the 90 is just a rough guide, that I used because it is the A* boundary I think and a nice round number).

Also, make sure you write a really good PS. That is very important for LSE. Prepare it over the summer between year 12 and 13 and have it looked at by someone in the PS help forum, preferably someone who did/does econ (at LSE would be best, or any other top uni who wrote a PS themselves that got them into the top unis).
:confused:

Yah you deleted your post lol
Reply 35
Original post by EDM
Can you give me some examples of 'realistically obtainable universities'? I am confused.

Check the TAELT in the economics forum to see a ranking of competitiveness. In my eyes this in your case means applying to 1 (2 if you are risk averse) outside the top 10. Although this does depend on your AS scores.
Reply 36
Original post by v1311
Hi,

Im an international student applying for Bsc Environmental Policy with Economics.
Im taking IB Diploma with Predicted 44

HL Econ: 7
HL Math: 6
HL English: 7
HL Chem: 7
SL Computer Science: 7
SL Spanish: 7

What do you think my chances are of getting in?
thanks!

I'll tell you this, if you filled your PS with stupid and pointless statements like the one above, you will not get accepted.
Please do not embarrass yourself.
Reply 37
Original post by GeorgeZl
I'll tell you this, if you filled your PS with stupid and pointless statements like the one above, you will not get accepted.
Please do not embarrass yourself.

This is your first post?

What is wrong with you?
Reply 38
People have gotten in for LSE with 3 A* and people havent gotten in with 11 A* so therefore it only means its one part of your application if on your ps you make it seem like a complete know theyre not gonna accept you so if I were you make sure you show unbelievable amounts of passion for your subject in your personal statement because they would rather take on someone with passion and bad grades rather than the opposite :smile:
Original post by EDM

Basically what danny said.

LSE is by no means a university you can be sure to get an offer from. Therefore, it's wise to have a bunch of universities that you can confidently say will give you an offer. A lot of people do 2-2-2 i.e. two ambitious, two probable, two backup. Use TAELT in the economics forum to help you decide.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending