Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Could I have done something? What if he was dying? :( Watch

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

This has just happened to me when I walked up the road with my boyfriend. This road is never safe to walk alone but it is a short cut to my house. On the side of the road it is a big big park, very very dark.. you can hardly see anything. This area is usually assiciated with crimes - mugging, raping...etc.

There were onl two of us and when we were walking we heard someone shouting 'HELPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!', really really loud for three times. After the third time we stopped and look back to see if anything was there. But nothing was.

There was no more shouting but I am sooo scared. I mean, I told my boyfriend we shuld go back and look and maybe help cos someone might be in danger. But he said there is nothing we can help we are so far away from the park already and its so dark we wont be able to see anthing. He prefer to keep both of us safe....

But i am feeling so bad cos it might have been a guy getting mugged and being beaten up... I knew if i was there i would be hardly helpful but i just think maybe i could have done something rather than just walk away.

I am never going down that road again. So scaredd...

If you were me, what would you do?

I mean, tomorrow there might be a news about this guy - he died etc...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by street.lovin')
    Hi all,

This has just happened to me when I walked up the road with my boyfriend. This road is never safe to walk alone but it is a short cut to my house. On the side of the road it is a big big park, very very dark.. you can hardly see anything. This area is usually assiciated with crimes - mugging, raping...etc.

There were onl two of us and when we were walking we heard someone shouting 'HELPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!', really really loud for three times. After the third time we stopped and look back to see if anything was there. But nothing was.

There was no more shouting but I am sooo scared. I mean, I told my boyfriend we shuld go back and look and maybe help cos someone might be in danger. But he said there is nothing we can help we are so far away from the park already and its so dark we wont be able to see anthing. He prefer to keep both of us safe....

But i am feeling so bad cos it might have been a guy getting mugged and being beaten up... I knew if i was there i would be hardly helpful but i just think maybe i could have done something rather than just walk away.

You shoulda gone and looked tbh. One reason this country is so ****ed up is people dont give a **** about each other. Like one guy i saw faint outside a shop once and everyone just walked by like selfless bstards

I would have gone. But i'm a fool looking to kick ass.

ReputationRep:
    The only thing that you could do now would be to go to a police station and tell them what you've told us. No point in regretting that you didn't check things out at the time, but if someone was in trouble, and is still lying injured in the park, then the police might be able to go and help them.

ReputationRep:
    police?

ReputationRep:
    You should have phoned the police!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uktom91)
    You shoulda gone and looked tbh. One reason this country is so ****ed up is people dont give a **** about each other. Like one guy i saw faint outside a shop once and everyone just walked by like selfless bstards
    i think you mean selfish?

ReputationRep:
    i'd phone the police and you can always remain anonymous if you feel silly
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemma :)!)
    The only thing that you could do now would be to go to a police station and tell them what you've told us. No point in regretting that you didn't check things out at the time, but if someone was in trouble, and is still lying injured in the park, then the police might be able to go and help them.

(Original post by Bubbles0ox)
    police?

(Original post by pamelaa)
    You should have phoned the police!
    But I am not sure whether it was a crime though.
    That park has a reputation of people getting drunk and mess about. If nothing was actually happening will I get arrested for wasting th epolice time?

ReputationRep:
    Your BF seemed reluctant to stop you from helping...hmmm. What was he doing before you were with him that night?

ReputationRep:
    That park has a reputation of people getting drunk and mess about. If nothing was actually happening will I get arrested for wasting th epolice time?
    better safe than sorry

ReputationRep:
    What's your boyfriend like? 'cause you don't sound like much of a tough cookie and if he didn't think he was going to be in a position to do anything then he did the right thing, as much as it will weigh on his conscience if something terrible did happen yesterday I can't imagine how I'd feel if I went off on a righteous ram(bo)page to someone's aid despite being a skinny ******* and my girlfriend got hurt as a result.

ReputationRep:
    don't you think that is a little strong? I do agree with you however it is similar to the kitty genovese incident. People will not help someone if it puts themselves at risk. Bystander apathy. Although that doesn't explain wh people didn't help the guy who fainted.

ReputationRep:
    Not in this case.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

if he died or was seriously injured you should feel very guilty. you couldve gone back and helped him, called an ambulance or something. your a terrible person
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    I have phoned the police. They said they will go there and check.

I hope it was just nothing.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCC-MGS)
    What's your boyfriend like? 'cause you don't sound like much of a tough cookie and if he didn't think he was going to be in a position to do anything then he did the right thing, as much as it will weigh on his conscience if something terrible did happen yesterday I can't imagine how I'd feel if I went off on a righteous ram(bo)page to someone's aid despite being a skinny ******* and my girlfriend got hurt as a result.
    My boyfriend would help if he could. He just wanted to keep both of us safe. He is not a big guy and he said that people who beat someone up or mug other people are usually someone with big. He got mugged before and he got beaten a bit. That is probably why he did not want to do anything cos he knew he would be no help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amsie/)
    i think you mean selfish?
    (Original post by Hooj)
    Your BF seemed reluctant to stop you from helping...hmmm. What was he doing before you were with him that night?
    (Original post by faisal786)
    retard !!!!
    (Original post by air-ninety-one)
    if he died or was seriously injured you should feel very guilty. you couldve gone back and helped him, called an ambulance or something. your a terrible person

Ok well i'm gonna be enormously sexist here and say there's not a lot OP could have done, which just leaves her BF. Now put yourself in his position. He either go back with her, possibly towards someone with a knife or gun, or leave her alone in a dark alley and go back. Obviously if I was on my own I wouldn't even hesitate, but when you're effectively putting someone else's life in danger too sometimes it's not so simple.

ReputationRep:
    I would have phoned the police at the time. I wouldn't bother doing anything now.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:

If there was osmeone fainting then definitely I would have helped!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 20, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.