Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Straight guy social phobia Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey TSR,

I'm a gay guy and I've only really got friends that are girls.

When Im around straight guys I feel I have to be closed cause Im afraid that if I started talking to them, theyd think bad things cause Im gay and wouldnt want to be my friends.

If you're a straight guy, do you have any gay friends? Do you not want to be friends with gay guys?

And if youre a girl do you know any S guys who have gay guys as friends?

I want to have some straight male friends but I get really closed and hide from them if one of my girl friends brings one into the same room as us.

Is it big deal?

Thank you for your time peeps

Thank you for your insight

ReputationRep:
    In my personal experience, I didn't have a gay male friend until last year.

Naturally, male instinct made me a bit uncomfortable, I sort of put it to the side because I'm more about the person rather than their sexuality.

That was until knowing him a few months in, he started to say certain things that would make me feel uncomfortable, like sexual jokes and questions. He then started having a heavy crush on my mate, who was totally straight, yet he was still persistent in finding something in him that wasn't there, it made him feel uncomfortable and in turn, me feel even more uncomfortable and lose respect for him.

It's ignorant to generalize. But you can't help fear that your friendship will come to a point where you feel uncomfortable like that, especially if you are close to that friend.

It's ironic, I'm sure alot of women perhaps feel like this sometimes!

ReputationRep:
    Aw sweets.

I can't speak for others, but in my group of friends there are straight girls, straight guys and gay guys, and it's perfectly coo'. I think as long as you don't find yourself in the company of complete tools, you're pretty much set.

ReputationRep:
    Used to have a gay mate (used to because I moved home since) and though I can't really be the best judge since I wasn't properly close friends, it didn't get weird when he came out the closet. Having said that it would have been weirder if he'd have fancied me or one of my mates so steer clear of that.

ReputationRep:
    I have a gay guy friend who also feels uncomfortable around straight guys so your not alone. He does have 1 straight guy friend though who hes been friends withs since primary school.

ReputationRep:
    One of my gay friends' best friend is straight and he has lots of straight friends and its not awkward......and he is oh so gay lol.

It depends on whether the person is tolerant or not...

ReputationRep:
    people might think that the straight guy is gay if he is always with gay people, also i dont talk to gay people because of how much they annoy me with how they talk and their personality

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dan-e)
    Hey TSR,

I'm a gay guy and I've only really got friends that are girls.

When Im around straight guys I feel I have to be closed cause Im afraid that if I started talking to them, theyd think bad things cause Im gay and wouldnt want to be my friends.

If you're a straight guy, do you have any gay friends? Do you not want to be friends with gay guys?

And if youre a girl do you know any S guys who have gay guys as friends?

I want to have some straight male friends but I get really closed and hide from them if one of my girl friends brings one into the same room as us.

Is it big deal?

Thank you for your time peeps

Thank you for your insight
    I'm straight and have a few gay friends

ReputationRep:
    Quite a lot of my friends from uni are gay. Actually I think I had more gay male friends than straight male friends.

ReputationRep:
    I dont think straight guys should be friends with gay guys anyway just in case they make them gay. I hope you respect my opinion but I am not a big fan of gay people and gay guys especially so lets make this clear some (ahem most) girls are thinking exactly the same thing as a Straight (in your case S) guy which is get him away from me.
    You are a loner that needs to get a life. Respect my opinion as i respect yours.

peace.

Also even as i read your paragraph in my head you sound gay, how gay can you get. Also do you like how gay people speak because if i was you i'd think twice you can still be gay and not have a ridiculous way of speech you should learn to speak like a human before men, unless you think your not human either. In the future i bet people are going to start thinking that they should have been animals but came out wrong. Why is this different to thinking you should have been a women? Its the order of nature dude get over it. You are stupid.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 16, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.