Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    im really stressed and worried that i wont get offers from my first choice unis! ive heard from people receiving offers or being rejected from them and ive heard nothing! it's been 5 and 1/2 weeks!

could this be because theyre considering me but waiting to see if any other applications that come through are better?

why do unis put us through this looooooong wait!?
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amie93)
    im really stressed and worried that i wont get offers from my first choice unis! ive heard from people receiving offers or being rejected from them and ive heard nothing! it's been 5 and 1/2 weeks!

could this be because theyre considering me but waiting to see if any other applications that come through are better?

You can not really tell as each case is different. Some universities don't consider any applications until 15th January deadline. I believe St. Andrews is one of these universities. Don't worry, enjoy Christmas and just sit tight. Think of it this way as well, I would rather be on the maybe pile than the rejected one.

ReputationRep:

So this is at the same unis, yes? It could mean a couple of things. It could mean that these other people were in an earlier batch that has been considered, whilst your batch has yet to be considered ... or yes, it could mean they have looked at you and decided to weigh you up against others.

As toronto says, don't worry; you haven't been rejected either, and some people have to win from the 'maybe' pile. Just enjoy your Christmas and wait to see what happens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    So this is at the same unis, yes? It could mean a couple of things. It could mean that these other people were in an earlier batch that has been considered, whilst your batch has yet to be considered ... or yes, it could mean they have looked at you and decided to weigh you up against others.

As toronto says, don't worry; you haven't been rejected either, and some people have to win from the 'maybe' pile. Just enjoy your Christmas and wait to see what happens.
    yes same unis, and they sent their ucas AFTER me, so i am on the maybe pile
    thankyou anyway
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    thankyou anyway
    You may not be on the maybe pile, but you are not on the rejected pile. Be thankful for that.

ReputationRep:
    No news is good news - it means they haven't rejected you (though of course they still might).

ReputationRep:
    Relax, it's December. There are many unis that don't give out offers until after the deadline. Of course they may give out rejections before the deadline, but as you haven't received a rejection I'd stop worrying. Enjoy your Christmas!

ReputationRep:
    No news is good news. If you haven't received a rejection then you're still in the running.

ReputationRep:
    im trying to take my mind of it as much as poss. but i just know i will be rejected especially as they are top unis-Aston and Warwick

thanks though guys for the reassurance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    You may not be on the maybe pile, but you are not on the rejected pile. Be thankful for that.
    i suppose, but the unis have been giving out offers, so it is blatent that im in the maybe pile. sorry, i sound so negative and depressing
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    i suppose, but the unis have been giving out offers, so it is blatent that im in the maybe pile. sorry, i sound so negative and depressing
    It isn't clear where you are in the process. As I said: a) they have to consider you on equal basis so don't worry because you don't have an offer yet and b) being on the maybe pile (IF YOU ARE) is better than being rejected

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    It isn't clear where you are in the process. As I said: a) they have to consider you on equal basis so don't worry because you don't have an offer yet and b) being on the maybe pile (IF YOU ARE) is better than being rejected
    but people who applied after me have already got offers so they are the ones who the unis obviously want for definite, whereas if i was one of them, id have an offer too by now, but i dont so my guess is im on the maybe pile. but thankyou for your reassurance. ive probably annoyed you with my rant haha

ReputationRep:
    Maybe is better than a rejection definately! I applied last month and 2 rejections and an interview all within 2 weeks
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    but people who applied after me have already got offers so they are the ones who the unis obviously want for definite, whereas if i was one of them, id have an offer too by now, but i dont so my guess is im on the maybe pile. but thankyou for your reassurance. ive probably annoyed you with my rant haha
    Not at all, but I can say that my experience of the system is that you can't predict what is going to happen. Their offers mean nothing. They are applying to different unis with different admissions tutors. Each university and each department does things differently. You may have 5 offers in Feb and they may have 1 or 2 in Feb.

ReputationRep:
    What course have you applied for and have to people who have heard back from the same unis applied for the same course?

They go through different admissions people so different departments may do things at different times. Just something to consider

I've been waiting three weeks and heard nothing still so I imagine 5 and half is killing you haha

ReputationRep:
    As trappers said, did you apply for the same course? Like I know some people have heard from Bristol, but for my subject they don't reply until feb. If it's for a different subject, don't stress too much. As people have said, departments are different.

ReputationRep:
    thankyou anyway
    Same issue I applied six weeks ago & my two friends four weeks ago and they both heard back off Cardiff for psychology (1 offer, 1 rejection). & off Swansea for psychology (both had offers) so I know how you feel :/ I guess like everyone else we should be thankful we're not rejected & a few people have suggested to me that it may be alphabetically (their surnames begin with E & J, mine T) but I don't know myself. Chin up and good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.