Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering how are Warwick at placing people into bulge bracket investment banks?

Also how good are Imperial College, Cass and UCL?

Assuming finance masters are being studied.

ReputationRep:
    UCL does not offer finance masters......

Imperial College is probably more prestigious in terms of brand name.

Cass is the worst among these options.

ReputationRep:
    Economics for UCL. Is IC the better bet? I just got rejected from LSE and waiting to hear back from Oxbridge for the mphil economics courses. Do you think an mphil in Economics is competitive as MSc in Economics since Oxbridge normally pulls more weight then the others? Thanks for the opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ineedaplace)
    Economics for UCL. Is IC the better bet? I just got rejected from LSE and waiting to hear back from Oxbridge for the mphil economics courses. Do you think an mphil in Economics is competitive as MSc in Economics since Oxbridge normally pulls more weight then the others? Thanks for the opinion.
    UCL MSc Economics is extremely strong... probably the best in Europe if you want to do Game Theoreis and Microeconometrics...

Cambridge economics department is the worst among the best in Europe. Since you are rejected by LSE, I doubt you will be admitted by Oxford.

I don't understand your last question.

ReputationRep:
    OP... I have a question. I have the sense that you are trolling in this forum... I hope I am wrong

ReputationRep:
    Warwick is awesome. So is UCL and Imperial. CASS isn't, but it it is still good.

ReputationRep:
    no taru i am not trolling the forum. i just got rejected from LSE today...

My question is mphil in economics regarded highly in investment banking. You answered my other post too, i graduated top 1% in rank 12th university + had a few courses post grad in Harvard and got a LSE rejection. I am genuinely trying to decide where to go as the fees are extortionate and want to get the most for my money,

I was thinking it doesn't hurt to apply to lse and oxbridge considering I couldn't really of done better in undegrad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tarutaru)
    UCL MSc Economics is extremely strong... probably the best in Europe if you want to do Game Theoreis and Microeconometrics...

Cambridge economics department is the worst among the best in Europe. Since you are rejected by LSE, I doubt you will be admitted by Oxford.

I don't understand your last question.
    Why do you say that....LSE and Oxford are two completely different institutions. People can easily get rejected by one and accepted by the other.

OP good luck and just chill out until you get all your responses.

ReputationRep:
    Bulge bracket is still a hilarious phrase.

ReputationRep:
    If you want good value for money, don't study in the UK!!!!! Courses in continental Europe are A LOT cheaper. Check out SSE in Sweden and some top bs in France (ESSEC, Ecole Poly, ....). And the good thing with the continental schools is that many offer an internship at the end of the program so you're more or less guaranteed a job. In the UK, you pay £30,000 and you're not even guaranteed a job :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I want to study in the UK because I will be working in the UK. Couldn't imagine going to a French or Italian university. Taru said forget about Oxford because I got the LSE rejection and he seems to know what he is talking about, that is why. To be fair I think Warwick will be OK even though I did really want to go to LSE or Oxbridge. I don't think I will bother with Imperial College of London either, think Warwick might be a bit better for me. Know anyone who would pick imperial college over warwick?

ReputationRep:
    I'd pick Imperial over Warwick! But hey I'm bias, I went there lol... OP back to ur original question (about chances of getting into BB). The 2 most important factors are 1) Undergrad uni and 2) Internship. If you have those 2 then doesn't really matter which postgrad uni u go to. If u have neither u will still find it hard (although it will be easier) to land a job in a bb. thats y i think the opportunity of an internship as part of the masters is so great but thats just my opinion.

all the best with ur choices

ReputationRep:
    emac thanks for the insight. I didn't go to a good enough university for undergraduate Although top 1% graduation and maybe that makes me a borderline applicant. The internship into a bb would be great and open up many many doors but i guess i do really want to study a masters too for the sake of studying a masters. One time give me a good internship+ Oxbridge offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tarutaru)
    UCL does not offer finance masters......
    Imperial College is probably more prestigious in terms of brand name.

Cass is the worst among these options.
    Yes it does. MSc Financial Computing. Google it. And no, it is not a course in software engineering. If in doubt, find the true definition of the term computing.

This course is known to have landed graduates into IB jobs.

And you're wrong, CASS offers an excellent masters in finance that is no worse than Imperial College's (if anything, CASS's finance programme is better established than ICL's. Regardless, I doubt there is too big a difference. Either are excellent in landing many of its graduates in financial/banking jobs).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sine nomine)
    Yes it does. MSc Financial Computing. Google it. And no, it is not a course in software engineering. If in doubt, find the true definition of the term computing.

This course is known to have landed graduates into IB jobs.

And you're wrong, CASS offers an excellent masters in finance that is no worse than Imperial College's (if anything, CASS's finance programme is better established than ICL's. Regardless, I doubt there is too big a difference. Either are excellent in landing many of its graduates in financial/banking jobs).
    Hey Sine,

What are your opinions on Warwick compared to Imperial compared to Cass (mathematical trading and finance), I'm waiting for an offer from imperial, so granted, I may not get in, but I just thought I'd see you views on each.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.