Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey
    Can someone describe the selection rule that controls the value of the extinction coefficients in octahedral complexs please

Oh and why are the values for the extinction coefficient higher in tetrahedral complexes?

Thanksyouuu!

ReputationRep:
    Assuming I have got the 'right end of the stick' the selection rules are as follows:

Transitions (of electrons) between like orbitals i.e p to p, d to d etc are formally forbidden (laporte forbidden). Transition between different orbitals e.g. s to p, p to d etc are allowed.

Chaning the spin of an electron in a transition is formally forbidden as well.

I hope from my memory I have quoted those right.

The extinction coefficient in tetrahedral complexes would be higher because the gap between tetrahedral homo and lumo (t2g to eg) are less than that of octahedrals, thus electrons are able to be excited into higher orbitals easier and create a visiable spectrum.

Does that make sence?

ReputationRep:
    Spin selection rule and Laporte selection rule.

- The spin-selection rule can be overcome by spin-orbit coupling. This causes a mixing of states which partially allows transitions. This is weak for 1st row transition metals therefore absorbtions will also be weak. For heavier metals, spin orbit coupling is stronger.

-The Laporte selection rule can be overcome by vibronic coupling. This causes the loss of a centre of symmetry in your octahedral complex which allows a mixing of p and d orbitals. This then leads to P - D transitions which is partially allowed (since delta l = +/- 1 ).

Tetrahedral complexes have a higher coffecient because they are non-centrosymmetric . As a result, mixing of p and d orbitals occurs to a greater extent and therefore d-d transitions are more probable.
    Also tetradehedral complex are capable of charge transfer (either ligand to metal /metal to ligand) which are intense absorbtions.

I'm studying this **** as we speak...exam tomorrow ****!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.