Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Computer Decisions GPU replacement vs CPU replacement Watch

ReputationRep:
    My stats of my PC:
    Dell XPS 420 (Everything is stock from when I bought it)
    Intel Core Quad Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz
    4GB RAM
    Nvidia GeForce 8800GT (512MB)
    Windows Vista SP2 (32 bit)
    Power Supply is around 370W (relevant)
    Monitor Size : 1680x1050 (Maybe relevant)

So, my question is, with my CPU and GPU:
    Intel Core Quad Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz
    Vs
    Nvidia GeForce 8800GT (512MB)

Which one should I replace? I have a 200-250 pound budget (for a christmas present basically) so I can afford a new one of these, but the extra upgrades that are potentially involved worry me.

I want a AMD Raedon HD 6950 (2GB) which is priced in my allowance of 250 pounds, it has only come out this week, but its stats are available anyways:

http://www.yoyotech.co.uk/item-detai...cts_id=4371165

The Processor I would probably go for is....im not sure honestly, all my research has gone into the GPU

So, id appreciate any advice and suggestions, I don't want to be spending (I am getting money to buy the card you see).

ReputationRep:
    The GPU. Your processor is already a powerful one.

ReputationRep:
    GPU, CPU is fine (assuming you've overclocked it, yes?)

But don't get the new AMD cards, they're pretty disappointing.
    Try picking up a second hand better Nvidia card for a similar price, or just get new one. You should be able to get 2x GTX460s for around £260-270, which scale really well and are much, much better than the new AMD offerings

ReputationRep:
    You'd see a bigger performance boost by replacing the GPU. OC your CPU as well.

ReputationRep:
    I guess you're interested in games, so go for the GPU. Otherwise go for the CPU.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone talking about OCing - it's a Dell. Can't be done.

Personally, I'd go for the GPU, as with games getting more multi-threaded that CPU will probably do okay for a while longer.
    Alternatively, if the XPS case supports it (not sure if it does) get a standard ATX motherboard made by a company which isn't Dell (the foxconn blackops, like the one I bought recently for £60, would be an excellent choice, although it needs DDR3 ram), a decent CPU cooler and a 5850.
    The 5850 is still a very fast card, and there are places online you can pick them up for £120.
    Mine gets a 3Dmark 11 xtreme score better than my friend's 480GTX, so they are very overclockable...
    The only issue you may have is with power usage. Dell PSUs don't have much overhead, and you might run into problems there.

So if you can't switch motherboards I'd say get a 5850 to tide you over until that CPU becomes obsolete, then do a custom build PC, which will last you much longer.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 16, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.