The Student Room Group

Driving test next week but need glasses!

So realised earlier today on a driving lesson that I need glasses (can't read a licence plate from 20m away) but as I was booking my eye test (which is Friday) they said they probably can't get glasses in time for my test (which is Tuesday) so I'll probably fail the eyesight test...

What should I do? Should I cancel my test now so that I get money back or should I wait and see if I can get glasses in time?

If your eyesight is not up to the legal minimum requirement, you will be committing an endorsable offence while you a driving. Whoever is supervising you will also be committing an offence, by aiding and abetting you. You will be uninsured, because the policy requirements will not be met; also an endorsable offence. That means points on your licence, and your instructor's, and a fine. All before you've even taken you test.

The legal minimum for eyesight is frighteningly low. Even if you were to scrape through on the measuring tape, it creates a bad impression with the examiner. You might find that you frighten yourself when you get your glasses and realise how much of the road you've not been seeing!

Do the sensible thing, Ramjam. Get some practice driving with corrected vision, then book your test.

Take a look at this video, created by a Driving Examiner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfjFn9JHsWo

All the best

Victor
Reply 2
I actually passed my test and drove around for nearly two years without glasses and it wasn't until I went and had my eyes tested that I realised just how bad my sight is - I really didn't think that I had a problem. Quite frankly, I'm amazed that I didn't have an accident during those two years due to my eyesight and even more amazed that I passed the sight test in the exam - I could barely read the plate I was asked to read. I think I was very, very lucky and just had a pretty lax examiner. If I were you, I would cancel and reschedule as it'd be pretty **** if your test was failed before you even started driving.
Reply 3
Try Vision Express, I've had glasses made up the same day by them before. They make them instore, whereas I think most other firms sub contract the work out.
Reply 4
Original post by Ramjams
So realised earlier today on a driving lesson that I need glasses (can't read a licence plate from 20m away)
I'm surprised your instructor didn't test your eyesight before allowing you to drive. This means that you drove illegally on that lesson.

If you still have time to postpone your test without losing your fee, I suggest you do so. Not only do you want confidence that you can see properly and pass your test, but failing on eyesight usually means that DVLA will revoke your licence until you prove to them that your eyesight is back up to standard.

Original post by victormeldrew
Take a look at this video, created by a Driving Examiner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfjFn9JHsWo

That video is bloody brilliant!

And 95% accurate too, with the only two inaccuracies being that Mary didn't spend 5 minutes slowly writing her new address on the counterpart that she hadn't done before arriving for test. Also, she gave the wrong answer to the tyre question far too quickly. Normal candidates tend to waste a further 5 minutes going "er... um... er..... ooh, we just did this one..... sorry, i'm really nervous.... can you repeat the question please!"

If you wonder why your examiner seems a little peed off on test, this is why. How hard can it be to follow simple instructions?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Wow thanks for all the guilt trips everyone :P Its alright though, even though I managed to get glasses in time for today my test was cancelled anyway :P
just get contacts fam

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending