Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:

^ You should probably perfect that.

ReputationRep:
      Grammer am teh hard.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
      You could speak to your tutor if someone was really letting you down. Besides from that I don't think there's much else you can do. Teamwork at Uni is like real life, you have to learn to deal with the different types of people and do best with what you have.

ReputationRep:
      I didn't cry but I almost thought of praying even though I don't pray ever. Thought the deadline was so near and I may need to go over it again but whilst spell checking just went erm, butted in and tried to fix everything as much as possible.

(Original post by *mMmMm*)
        I had another group deadline same time too, 5000 words. That group was larger and the weighting marks for it were less, the group was amazing! We handed it in a day early.

Yes, we had many group meetings and met up early even on the weekend. I wasn't controlling though and didn't want nor would want to be, prefer someone else is in control. So I edited the report so it makes sense, expected people to have good English since were were all actually, group participants, born in UK and live here. Not the case though, with everything I edited there was debate and discussion as to what the word means etc. I kept having to butt in and say that things are in the wrong context or there are some repetitions of words in the same sentence etc and think it was pissing people off; but I had to as I obviously wanted atleast a 2:1 grade, seeing as it was worth a lot. Ended up being 50 pages I printed Hope we did well, as I did check it and before sending it well there was a spell check and I nearly cried, it picked up so much spelling errors and I thought holy...???!!! :confused:

Spell check doesn't pick up grammatical errors.

What? No. What I meant was that if you are going to come on here complaining about other peoples spelling and grammar, you should make sure that your post is perfectly written.

ReputationRep:
        A girl I know goes to Portsmouth and repeatedly spells the world 'should' as 'sud'

No joke.

ReputationRep:
        I'm so glad I do a science. The lack of group-work means I'm never culpable for the plebeian shortcomings of others...

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
        I know a girl at Aberystwyth who thought Argentina was in Europe - she studies Economics at uni, and got an A in A-Level geography.

Another girl I know is at Durham - she thought it was in Spain :facepalm: ...also got an A in A-Level geography

ReputationRep:
        People at high ranked Universities still have spelling and grammar issues, though not to the extent that you describe. I have a brother studying Maths at Cambridge, and he says his tutor still corrects their grammar in their supervisions. Though I suspect he's correcting their spoken grammar - I doubt much prose is written in a Maths supervision - perhaps their written grammar is fine.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Barden)
        I know a girl at Aberystwyth who thought Argentina was in Europe - she studies Economics at uni, and got an A in A-Level geography.

Another girl I know is at Durham - she thought it was in Spain :facepalm: ...also got an A in A-Level geography
        Seems Prince Andrew may not have been correct about the UK having the best geography teachers. Or perhaps just not the best geography students...

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
        I honestly have a friend who decided to work with a group of Chinese people so he could let them do the work really well and then go through and make sure it all made sense! Sadly these are the times we live in.

ReputationRep:
        I recently did a group project and we left the collation of individual contributions and submission to one person. Suffice to say we ended up with 58% and an appalling report!

So, I know how you feel. One thing I've learnt from it though is that if you channel their enthusiasm in another direction or area of the project that doesn't require amazing grammar, spelling or punctuation then you don't have to tell them they're bad and they continue to put as much effort in.

-JT

ReputationRep:
        i hate group work, basically carrying others through a degree...

ReputationRep:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
      Useful resources
      Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.