The Student Room Group

Does anyone have Law a level essay writing techniques??

I'm re-sitting my a level law (with AQA doing criminal law) and I think its the way i'm writing my essays that is letting me down...I read somewhere that writing a law essay is nothing like writing say a history essay :frown:

I was just looking for some tips on how to write an essay? How do you structure it? Would you include an intro and a conclusion? The reason I think that I am going wrong with the way I am writing it is because I achieved a grade E (ahhhh!) at As level and A level....although when I got my papers back there is ticks and underlinings all over it which makes me think i got the content right! I wish the examiers would write some feedback! haha
any help would be soo appreciated!! :smile:

p.s I realllllly would like a private tutor, I know its a long shot, but if anyone knows of one in the Derbyshire/Cheshire area....
What sort of essay are you referring to? Do you mean scenario questions?

Or more general things? If you'd like, I can post some of my essays (I'm doing the same subject now) that were graded "A".
Reply 3
Hey, I took Law A Level, if your interested PM me and I can email you some of my essays to give you an idea if it helps?
Reply 4
Original post by Vase-Smasher-18
I'm re-sitting my a level law (with AQA doing criminal law) and I think its the way i'm writing my essays that is letting me down...I read somewhere that writing a law essay is nothing like writing say a history essay :frown:

I was just looking for some tips on how to write an essay? How do you structure it? Would you include an intro and a conclusion? The reason I think that I am going wrong with the way I am writing it is because I achieved a grade E (ahhhh!) at As level and A level....although when I got my papers back there is ticks and underlinings all over it which makes me think i got the content right! I wish the examiers would write some feedback! haha

p.s I realllllly would like a private tutor, I know its a long shot, but if anyone knows of one in the Derbyshire/Cheshire area....

This is what my college has taught us when writing a Law essay:

Introduction - outline the area of law the scenario relates to (e.g. non-fatal offences, murder or involuntary manslaughter).

Describe the law involved - this includes the actus reus and mens rea elements, as well as causation.

Apply the law to the scenario - do this systematically in the order you described the law in the previous paragraph to make the order more logical.

Defences - if any defences apply, outline the law relating to the relevant defence (e.g. provocation or diminished responsibility for voluntary manslaughter or consent for a non-fatal offence etc.).

Apply the defence to the scenario - explain whether or not the defence can be successfully pleaded by the defendant.

Conclusion - suggest the outcome of the scenario; whether or not the defendant is liable for their offence or not.

I hope this helps!
Reply 5
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent

Or more general things? If you'd like, I can post some of my essays (I'm doing the same subject now) that were graded "A".

HI,

I have just started A'Level Law and am sort of hitting a brick wall. Do you have a paper i could look at so i know the structure i am meant to follow.

Many thanks

Daz
Reply 6
Original post by DiZZeeKiD
Hey, I took Law A Level, if your interested PM me and I can email you some of my essays to give you an idea if it helps?

HI....Can you send me pleaseeee :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Hi, nice to meet you. I'm BowYee. I'm taking A level Law and I'm really appreciate if you can share me some of your essays and some writing or answering technique. Thanks.
Identify what crime is involved, identify the law which is associated with that crime, apply these to the scenario, identify if any defences could apply, identify the law involved with these defences, apply the defence, then the verdict in the conclusion
Original post by DiZZeeKiD

Hi can you send me some essays please on Negligence?

Hi do ou have any criminal law essays? Or on law and morality or anything to do with Alevel law?
Reply 11

Give anything and everything you have because I am like sitting for A levels law fourth time in a row, tried everything (I am a private candidate) still got an "e" and failed my A level,...I need ya help. Send me anytime and everything you have! And also let me know about every advice you find helpful during this course
Original post by Vase-Smasher-18

im in the same boat as you. we got about 2 and a half moths left until the real thing and im stressing out for the same reason. i mean i have an answering structure for nearly all the topics but its alot to memorise and i feel like i cant memorise any of it beofre the actual exsams .

Quick Reply