Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Stumbled across this post on another forum, and was hoping someone on here could verify/deny this?

So I just discovered something interesting.

My friend wanted to construct a fake profile at one of the top 10 investment banks in order to practise at his numerical test and I was suppose to help him out a bit. So he created a fake profile and sent the application in. He is in a target school so last week he recieved his email, exactly three minutes after he sent in his application, with an invitation ta take a numerical test.

So now he wanted to create a fake profile in order to get another invitation to take a numerical test to practise on. However this time he put in another school, he just picked it randomly, some uk university that was not very famous.

When he sent in this fake application of a fake person who went to some not very known UK university, he expected to get the same email with the invitation to take a numerical test .

But after three minutes, guess what, no test came to the inbox, waited another 15 minutes no test. **** this, he thought, and created another profile but this time he put in Cambridge University. Sent in the application and after 3 minutes, he got an email with an numerical test.

So apparently non target schools don't seem to get the invitation to take the numerical test, and target schools get the invitation.
    We just accidentally discovered this today, maybe everyone knows this, just thought it would be fun to post.

ReputationRep:
    doesn't mean they invite all people from oxbridge to interview...

ReputationRep:
    i'm non target, and when i applied to RBS i was instantly rejected.
    However, me and a friend from my uni, which interestingly is one of the lowest ranked in the country (bottom 10) have both got internships at BBs (after multiple offers.)

So, for anyone worried about their uni, for RBS - yes it appears to matter. But for the 2 swiss banks and some of the wall street banks - no, apparently they don't care much for university status, but are more concerned about what the individual has/can achieve.

ReputationRep:
    Bank OP?

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand the point of this thread. I thought it was an established fact that banks favor certain universities over others. Btw what uni are you at zweihander?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i_hate_teeth)
    I don't understand the point of this thread. I thought it was an established fact that banks favor certain universities over others. Btw what uni are you at zweihander?
    Yes, it is an established fact that banks favour certain universities over others. It is not however an established fact that some banks apparently don't even bother to consider applications from non-target universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zweihander)
    Yes, it is an established fact that banks favour certain universities over others. It is not however an established fact that some banks apparently don't even bother to consider applications from non-target universities.
    Ok. Well I read in the FT that there is an inner and outer circle of universities that banks recruit from. Oxbridge and IC are the inner circle and UCL, LSE and Warwick are the outer circle.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/854d8a6c-d...#axzz17kdeoH4k

What uni are you at?

ReputationRep:
    Ok. Well I read in the FT that there is an inner and outer circle of universities that banks recruit from. Oxbridge and IC are the inner circle and UCL, LSE and Warwick are the outer circle.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/854d8a6c-d...#axzz17kdeoH4k

What uni are you at?
    The article is somewhat erroneous. Those 6 are the principal target universities, but in terms of numbers most interns/grads at the top tier banks come from LSE, Oxbridge, then Warwick/UCL. Most Imperial grads seem to go into Trading & Technology than other areas.

I go to a target uni, which is why I want to know if this filtering thing is true, and more importantly how common it is, because if it is true it makes my life a whole lot easier.

ReputationRep:
    The article is somewhat erroneous. Those 6 are the principal target universities, but in terms of numbers most interns/grads at the top tier banks come from LSE, Oxbridge, then Warwick/UCL. Most Imperial grads seem to go into Trading & Technology than other areas.

I go to a target uni, which is why I want to know if this filtering thing is true, and more importantly how common it is, because if it is true it makes my life a whole lot easier.

You're one of us, aren't you

ReputationRep:

I'm guessing the application from the non target university wasnt rejected but they were going to read his application before sending the numerical test?

Does seem a bit weird though. I can't believe they don't even consider non target students, although I know they strongly favour the top 6.

ReputationRep:
    Is it true that Imperial is favored over UCL?

ReputationRep:
    Dude, arent you applying for spring weeks? so youre in .. year one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drexelburnham)
    i'm non target, and when i applied to RBS i was instantly rejected.
    However, me and a friend from my uni, which interestingly is one of the lowest ranked in the country (bottom 10) have both got internships at BBs (after multiple offers.)

So, for anyone worried about their uni, for RBS - yes it appears to matter. But for the 2 swiss banks and some of the wall street banks - no, apparently they don't care much for university status, but are more concerned about what the individual has/can achieve.
    Which University?

You must have contacts at the bank, or otherwise be doing a less well-paid job.

ReputationRep:
    Bottom 10 is bottom 10, the fact is, most people on this message board are convinced if you are anywhere outside the TOP 20 you don't stand the slightest chance. I agree that the odds are against you, but it really is down to the individual, not the rank of your university. If anyone disagrees then fair enough but me and my uni mate have proved it's not the case.

neither of us have any contacts, we just did very well on the online numerical tests, gave good answers to the competency questions, smashed the A/C and have a strong knowledge of finance/markets/current affairs. Now we have multiple offers as well as grad role offers for 2012 from the banks we turned down for internships (all from BBs.)

ReputationRep:
    Bottom 10 is bottom 10, the fact is, most people on this message board are convinced if you are anywhere outside the TOP 20 you don't stand the slightest chance. I agree that the odds are against you, but it really is down to the individual, not the rank of your university. If anyone disagrees then fair enough but me and my uni mate have proved it's not the case.

neither of us have any contacts, we just did very well on the online numerical tests, gave good answers to the competency questions, smashed the A/C and have a strong knowledge of finance/markets/current affairs. Now we have multiple offers as well as grad role offers for 2012 from the banks we turned down for internships (all from BBs.)
    Well done mate! Out of interest, you in IBD or S&T?

Also, how have you secured grad roles for 2012?

ReputationRep:

bull

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamz0770)
    I'm guessing the application from the non target university wasnt rejected but they were going to read his application before sending the numerical test?

Does seem a bit weird though. I can't believe they don't even consider non target students, although I know they strongly favour the top 6.
    I have seen something worse.
    For a Chinese bank they only have the top 3 HK unis on the drop down list, while the remaining 6 uni students need to choose the option 'Others'....... :no:

ReputationRep:
    I think this whole "target University" thing has been blown of out proportion. Top 20 should is enough for any FO position, and the rest (Networks, Internships, High Grades, ECs) is down to the individual.

After three years of interviews/ACs I've seen not so great candidates gain positions over better candidates on paper. The application game is all about timing with a HUGE element of luck, and aslong as you don't go to a mediocre University then don't worry. With the right contacts you can honestly get yourself into anything you want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 10Scientist)
    I have seen something worse.
    For a Chinese bank they only have the top 3 HK unis on the drop down list, while the remaining 6 uni students need to choose the option 'Others'....... :no:
    I was under the impression in China you cant get a job in a bank unless you know someone in the bank already.

ReputationRep:
    Is it true that Imperial is favored over UCL?
    I've always thought

Oxbridge > LSE > Imperial > Warwick & UCL

Big gap between fourth and fifth, monstrous gap between sixth and seventh.

Surprised the FT article had Imperial above LSE though.

[/biased opinion]

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.