Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    In my first year of as level i am taking Biology, Chemistry, Sociology and Philosophy I really want to study Biology at university and am curious as to what grades i would have to get in these subjects to do that, perhaps some of you had taken simlair subject?
    Most of the universities im interested in list their typical offer at ABB but i think at this stage i only feel like im capable of getting BBB but because im doing 2 sciences is that taken into consideration?
    In all subjects so far we have done mocks to prepare us for our january exams and without doing any revision i managed to get all C's and from monday im going to do 45 mins a subject revision throughout these holidays until my 4 exams (12th,13th,14th and 15th of january) i think i got around 55%-60% in the exams but i hear that the grade boundaries for a level are very close ie an A is somthing like 85%.

ReputationRep:
    Daughter's offer for year abroad course with UEA was AAA. She is studying 2 sciences and had A*, A & B at GCSE level. Aberystwyth is based on UCAS points and comes out around CCC. Of course there is no guarantee that these will be required grades when you apply next year. Some Uni's do insist on 2 science subjects from a prescribed list e.g. environmental studies is accepted at some but not at all and some will insist on biology at grade A.

Suggest you go through all of the Uni's and courses and select a range of Unis that you like the look of with a range of grades from high to low and go from there. Who knows what the admissions tutors look for - it's not all about grades though, the personal statements also count. There was a story last year of an A level student with 5 x A* who didn't get one single offer, so this proves they look for an all round application rather than just grade focus.

ReputationRep:
    If you in your first year (AS), you havn't even sat your Jan exams, then you shouldn't be worrying about what your gonna do at uni yet. Just enjoy your course, play hard but work harder. See how you do at Jan, then see how you feel after your first year and worry about where your going to apply next year.

Most Biology degrees will require atleast 2 A levels in science if your applying to ABB universities. That means biology and chemistry for you must be atleast both at a B standard. IF at the end of AS you dont have a B in sciences, don't panic, you can retake and make big improvements. After AS I had a D in As chemistry, retook loads of chem exams in A2 year (and actually worked) and got a high B in the end. You got ages of time, just keep working hard :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amscared)
    Most of the universities im interested in list their typical offer at ABB but i think at this stage i only feel like im capable of getting BBB but because im doing 2 sciences is that taken into consideration?
    Definitely not by ABB universities. Most places (including those below that level) require that you do at least two sciences.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.