Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to assert my age without being a **** about it? Watch

Announcements

I am just coming up on twenty years old, but look about fourteen or fifteen. Definitely no more than sixteen. Whenever I enter a restaurant, the waiter takes away the wine glasses, assuming I'm not old enough to drink alcohol.

Now, if actually did drink, it would be easy - I could say, "Oh no, leave the glass, I'll be having a white wine," and that would all be fine, I have ID to prove I'm over eighteen. But I don't drink alcohol.

So, I don't like people assuming I'm that much younger than I actually am ... but I don't actually do the thing that would prove I am an adult (drink alcohol.) I could say, "I don't want to drink alcohol, but just to let you know, I'm almost twenty and could if I wanted to" ... but that just makes me sound like a huge ****.

Is there anything I can do about this, or is it just a case of comforting myself that when I'm forty, I'll hopefully still look young and not think I've got such a bad deal then? :p:

(Original post by Anonymous)
      Is there anything I can do about this, or is it just a case of comforting myself that when I'm forty, I'll hopefully still look young and not think I've got such a bad deal then?:
      Thats what i thought at your age but now I'm 27 fastly balding and no longer look younger than I am.

And now Beatles yesterday is playing inth e background to make this even more woeful...

(Original post by kat2pult)
      What a stupid comment. Maybe you need to start acting like a 20 year old and learn that this isn't such a big effing deal. They take the wine glasses away as standard for most people, in total disregard to their age.

Also, drinking alcohol doesn't make you an adult, unless every person who doesn't drink is suddenly a kid. :mad:
      Actually, the exact same restaurant leaves them when I'm with my friends who look older. Combine that with the surprise when I pay by card, and I am pretty sure it's soley due to the age they perceive me to be.

Did you ... miss the part where I said I don't drink? :confused: I didn't say it makes you an adult, I said it would prove you were.

ReputationRep:
      dress / act like a 20 year old?

ReputationRep:
      I always get told I look young (i'm 19) it doesn't bother me.

ReputationRep:
      Actually, the exact same restaurant leaves them when I'm with my friends who look older. Combine that with the surprise when I pay by card, and I am pretty sure it's soley due to the age they perceive me to be.

Did you ... miss the part where I said I don't drink? :confused: I didn't say it makes you an adult, I said it would prove you were.
      So all the underaged yobs on Jeremy Kyle are adults? Stop being daft.

And who cares if you look younger. It's so hard to tell what age people are now, especially with make up and such like. Just be happy you don't look like a 35 year old.

(Original post by Jamie)
      Thats what i thought at your age but now I'm 27 fastly balding and no longer look younger than I am.

And now Beatles yesterday is playing inth e background to make this even more woeful...
      No, no - hope is all I have!

If you dont want to drink...what is the problem?

ReputationRep:
        Why do you need a waiter to know that you're of drinking age if you don't plan to drink? Sounds like a bit of insecurity to me.

(Original post by kat2pult)
        So all the underaged yobs on Jeremy Kyle are adults? Stop being daft.

And who cares if you look younger. It's so hard to tell what age people are now, especially with make up and such like. Just be happy you don't look like a 35 year old.
        I don't think you really understand what I mean... The act of drinking itself is nothing. Being able to order it is evidence you are an adult because it is evidence you are over the age of eighteen.

ReputationRep:
        Cherry cheese toilet mobile, doorway found meeting moon violin tin undaunted tomato mail looks lonely Hoffman, glitter tooth Allen kicks hallmark wheel pigeon fire thanks sloth until woman jailed carrot street. Jam light solveents would glimmer email tights, lotion banjo outmoded dolphin violin. You have your ID, the age thing will be a blessing in years to come, chill out.

ReputationRep:
        Haha my sister has this issue...
        On her 30th birthday she got thrown out of a pub even she showed valid ID they were convinced it was fake and insisted she left...
        And another time we went out for a drink. I was 15 and she was 28... she ordered a pint for herself and an orange juice for me. The waiter came along and plonked the pint in front of me and the orange juice in front of her.
        Some people just have that young look about them.
        Personally I would enjoy it

Someone once thought I was my older cousins mum
        It is MUCH less offensive for people to think you are younger than you are than older...

ReputationRep:
        OP.. I'm in the same position.

When I show ID (with the picture being clearly me), some people think that it's fake. I show them more ID, and they're just impressed by the quality of my forger.

Everyone in my uni in the first week thought I must be a child prodigy or something :/

ReputationRep:
        Er.. if you don't order wine, most restaurants will take the wine glasses away.

Just get over it. I'll be 25 next month and I still get asked for ID all the time - why do you care what random waiters think of your age anyway?!

ReputationRep:
        stop shaving so regularly noob mistake to make to shave so you have no stubble

(Original post by morecambebay)
        If you dont want to drink...what is the problem?
        (Original post by Planto)
        Why do you need a waiter to know that you're of drinking age if you don't plan to drink? Sounds like a bit of insecurity to me.
        That's exactly what it is - no one takes me seriously because I look so much younger than I am. I dress smartly and I talk coherently, but because I look like I'm still doing my GCSEs instead of halfway through uni and aiming towards a professional, responsible job, no one takes me seriously.

Just sometimes, I'd like a little external recognition that I am an adult.

(Original post by *pitseleh*)
        Er.. if you don't order wine, most restaurants will take the wine glasses away.

Just get over it. I'll be 25 next month and I still get asked for ID all the time - why do you care what random waiters think of your age anyway?!
        They take them away before I've even had a chance to ... and I said why in my last post.

ReputationRep:
        You even post like an adolescant

ReputationRep:
        That's exactly what it is - no one takes me seriously because I look so much younger than I am. I dress smartly and I talk coherently, but because I look like I'm still doing my GCSEs instead of halfway through uni and aiming towards a professional, responsible job, no one takes me seriously.

Just sometimes, I'd like a little external recognition that I am an adult.
        To be honest, judging by this entire thread, I doubt it's because you look young that people treat you like a child. Act grown up and people will treat you like a grown up.

ReputationRep:
        I am just coming up on twenty years old, but look about fourteen or fifteen. Definitely no more than sixteen. Whenever I enter a restaurant, the waiter takes away the wine glasses, assuming I'm not old enough to drink alcohol.

Now, if actually did drink, it would be easy - I could say, "Oh no, leave the glass, I'll be having a white wine," and that would all be fine, I have ID to prove I'm over eighteen. But I don't drink alcohol.

So, I don't like people assuming I'm that much younger than I actually am ... but I don't actually do the thing that would prove I am an adult (drink alcohol.) I could say, "I don't want to drink alcohol, but just to let you know, I'm almost twenty and could if I wanted to" ... but that just makes me sound like a huge ****.

Is there anything I can do about this, or is it just a case of comforting myself that when I'm forty, I'll hopefully still look young and not think I've got such a bad deal then? :p:
        Don't worry I know exactly what you mean. I've just turned 20 yet I look younger than my 18 year old friends, to quote some "You look about 12". I'm always asked for ID to the point where I wave my ID in their face before they get a chance to ask me. Luckily I have boobs so it's not as much of a problem as it could be. I wonder sometimes if it puts guys off me and so I would prefer to look more my age. I also get the patronising "baby" voice conversation from family friends "So what are you studying in school? When are you doing your GCSE's?".. "Actually I'm 20 years old and I'm studying a degree at university".

Submit reply
      TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 16, 2010
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.