Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have got an offer from Reading for geog and economics as well as from Lancaster. However, looking at the league tables I find that reading isn't as high as I would of thought.
    Does it have a good quality reputation?

ReputationRep:
    I think there both reputable universities, neither are the best in the contry but they are a very long way from the worst and a degree from either would be respected

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eddiedaboss)
    I have got an offer from Reading for geog and economics as well as from Lancaster. However, looking at the league tables I find that reading isn't as high as I would of thought.
    Does it have a good quality reputation?
    Reading is not a bad place. It has a better reputation than Lancaster. Between the two, go for Reading.

J.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Reading is excellent in the Earth sciences - having a large research facility with NERC (the people who fund earth sciences research in the UK) and being the centre for meteorology in the UK (it's the only uni that is recognised by the meteorological society).

I'd definately go 4 lancaster. Reading as a town is just a large business park!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by watford110)
    I'd definately go 4 lancaster. Reading as a town is just a large business park!!

Well although Lancaster may beat Reading in attractiveness...it would be more convenient to chose Reading - its only an hour from London.

ReputationRep:
    That makes it more expensive though, and although Reading has a better rep than Lancaster, Lancaster averages 12 places higher in the league tables.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by watford110)
    :eek: Reading is not just a business park! Infact, there are only 2 major business parks in Raeding, 1 at junction 11 and 1 at junction 12 of the M4. Ands those are situated there because of the proximity and ease to get to London (i'm sure geographers have heard the phrase 'M4 Corridor' before). I'd say Reading would be a much better place than Lancaster, abeit more expensive. I certainly enjoyed living in Reading anyway, there are far more worse places to live i'm sure!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 22, 2004
Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.