Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there TSR, need your opinion on something.

So, I've decided to do an Intensive A-Level this year to help with future university applications and have enrolled part time at City of Westminster College.

By not being on benefits, and being over 19, I had to stump up £760 to sit one A-Level. Costs included enrolment, admin, exam fees, and tuition.

I have a part time job so while the amount wasn't insignificant, I paid up.

Fast forward a few months, and one of my teachers has been brilliant, while the other crap. She was always late to lessons (despite the fact that the whole class was always there 9am on the dot for her lesson), and for the past 2 months or so, she has been away ill. While being away she has not left us any work, not left the cover teachers any material, and didn't bother to disclose a lesson plan for us to follow independently. Nor has she answered any questions from students thus far via email.

On top of that, the college has been happy to give us clueless cover teachers, and have shown no real interest in the fact that without structure, people are falling behind schedule, and that exams are coming up in less then a month.

Now before people tell me it's my responsibility to learn etc, I would like to say that I HAVE been teaching myself and I am more or less on track for the January exams. My beef here is that I paid for a service, which I did not receive from the college.

Thus I want a partial refund based on how many lessons we've had without a teacher.

Am I being reasonable to expect this? I've typed up a letter, it's sitting sealed on my desk waiting to be posted should I decide to go ahead with a formal complaint.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if you can get a refund or not.. But have a free bump, whilst I tell you that's ridiculous if you've paid for a service and have not received it - imo, you should get a partial refund.

ReputationRep:
    yes, make a formal complaint. you paid for tuition and you did not receive it. they are obliged to teach you so you should definitely seek a refund/compensation. do you have a contract you could take a look at to find your legal stance?

ReputationRep:
    I think it's reasonable yes, try your luck.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.