Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you care if you don't have a lot of friends on facebook? Watch

Honest answers please

ReputationRep:
    done a million times but no i couldnt care less about the number of internet friends i have

ReputationRep:
    No, not at all. I don't really use Facebook very much.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really care.

ReputationRep:
    No. I somehow have 309 but that doesn't make me feel any better than somebody with fewer 'friends' or worse than somebody with more of them. I plan on doing a clearout soon to make sure I actually see/may see in future everybody I'm friends with...

ReputationRep:
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    Don't use Facebook. I don't need the internet to know who my friends are.

ReputationRep:
    I don't care. Although, having said that, I have over 450 friends on Facebook...I don't add people to make up numbers though, they're all people I know and want to keep up with.

ReputationRep:
    I only have 162 friends lol, im so uncool in school as well. I mean i don't except people that add me even though i have never spoke to them before, but like if you like someone, for example a girl and she has somewhat 700 friends and you only have 162 friends and when you post something on your wall no one 'likes' it, society these days judges your social status based on that. So to an extent yes i do, because i want to atleast show i have some friends and im not a loner or nobody likes me, but then again its facebook and people accept anyone, so if you want more friends just go 'add' galore lol, the majority will accept!

ReputationRep:
    No. I have 83. I used to have double that but I deleted a bunch of people. I'd delete more if not for the fact that I don't want to offend people by deleting them off Facebook. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Well people care about how others perceive them, as long as everybody else makes a big deal about number of fb friends then they will be judging those who don't have many.

So although people may not care about having no friends itself, they (not all) will care about being perceived as a socially inept loner...because apparently that's what having a small friends list means - welcome to the new social dynamics in the world of facebook!

I don't have facebook so it's irrelevant to me, but I find it highly frustrating how a mere networking site has had such influence over peoples' real lives. Society and its conventions have been truly hijacked by it :yep:

Not that facebook itself is bad, I think it's a great idea and good when used for its direct purpose...but the side-effects are so bad.

ReputationRep:
    Nah, I have like 140 or something like that, all people who I know well. I don't use it that much tbh and I don't see much point in adding loads of people who are just vague acquaintances...My live feed thingy will just get cluttered up with messages from a load of people who I couldn't care less about and hardly ever speak to.

I was listening to these two girls in the year below and they were having this really in depth convo about how many likes their profile photos got and doing that "subtle" competition thing girls like to do e.g.

Girl 1: OMG do you remember that time my profile picture got 14 likes in, like, 10 minutes.
    Girl 2: Yeah I know right, there was this one time I got 30 likes in 5 minutes!1!!!11!!
    Girl 1: YOU got thirty likes? I don't remember that at all ******y laugh*

etc.

This went on for the remaining 10 minutes I was in the car with them. TBH, I find it sad and stupid how so many people's life revolve around the website and how they come across on it. People like this would care, I guess...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah :sad: I lose sleep over it. Add me

ReputationRep:
    Never really cared, but apparently at Uni the more friends you have the cooler you are.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 16, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.