Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Well, It's nearly the end of the year 2010, and I was looking through my list of the "Books I have read" and apparently I've read about 28 books this year (both Fiction and non-fiction). :smartass:

What about you guys? Share!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Not sure. Maybe 20 to 50.

ReputationRep:
    68 since march. but i'm an english uni applicant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a daedalus)
    68 since march. but i'm an english uni applicant
    Haha. I'm jealous.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure around 40 I think.

ReputationRep:
    Do ones with pictures count?

ReputationRep:
    68 books in 9 Months? You'd really expect your grammar to be better.
    Two books per week, how do you manage that!? I'm struggling with 2 a month Though admittedly I'm not an Undergraduate English student.

ReputationRep:
    Like... 3? I used to read a lot more, unless you count skimming textbooks idly in class...

ReputationRep:
    i havn't read a single book this year which is ****ing terrible. So next year im gonna go back to reading again, i miss it so much :daydreaming:

cant right now since im busy with uni work

ReputationRep:
    None.

But I spend about 5 hours a day reading the internet.

ReputationRep:
    Lots. I got a lot over Christmas and my birthday (January), then I ordered a lot from Amazon around July time, and then I went to Hay-on-Wye in August and bought loads more, and lastly there's ones I've bought from 2nd-hand bookshops in other places... I'm still working my way through all the books I've come into possession of over the past year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCount.)
    Two books per week, how do you manage that!? I'm struggling with 2 a month Though admittedly I'm not an Undergraduate English student.
    what's wrong with my grammar?

ReputationRep:
    Around 40, which is pretty low compared to how much I used to read.

ReputationRep:
    :bump:

Stole my thread idea. Though mine was to be more interesting because I was going to list everything I've read since January cos I keep a list of them on paper. But anyway, I can't remember exactly, somewhere in the region of 50 books perhaps. I'll post a definite figure in a few days when I finish what I am reading now and count them up.

(Original post by TheCount.)
    Don't be under the impression all English undergrads are the same. I suspect (and know plenty) that like me did not read much at all before university. In fact, I only really started reading for pleasure regularly in my 3rd year.

Perhaps the reason you are struggling with 2 a month is to do with the content of the books you are reading. I often find I can read two or three in a week if the content and genre really appeals, while other novels, whilst being interesting in their own right, can be a bit more difficult to read in a short space of time. For example, I finished The Last Song of Dusk in two days and The Reluctant Fundamentalist in one sitting, while Tender is the Night, to use but one example (since it's easier to remember books you read and really enjoyed than ones you struggled through) took me well over a week.

ReputationRep:
    26 so far. Hopefully I will manage a few more over Christmas. This is the first proper time off I've had in ages as I worked all summer. I'm sure this is the most I've ever read in a year, but it doesn't seem like much compared to a lot of people here!

Probably about 50+. (Non fiction + fiction)

ReputationRep:
    I think 26-28 although I've lost my original list. That was mainly up to September, I've not read many books this term. I've read a lot of short stories and fairy tales instead, but am not counting them.
    Hopefully I can get it up to 30 before the year's out.

ReputationRep:
    Not enough! Next year I plan to read a lot more. But I have challenged myself not to buy any books in 2011 til I've read all the books I own and not read. Winning books, borrowing and presents don't count

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zebrastripes)
    Not enough! Next year I plan to read a lot more. But I have challenged myself not to buy any books in 2011 til I've read all the books I own and not read. Winning books, borrowing and presents don't count
    How do you win books??

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.