Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Best real time strategy game? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    ...for the PC

...and Why? Try to qualify your answer.. how many RTS games have you played to compare it to?
    How long did you play it for?

ReputationRep:
    Command & Conquer Red Alert 2 (the Yuri's Revenge expansion pack was also brilliant ~ shame EA decided to ruin the franchise)

ReputationRep:
    tribal wars

ReputationRep:
    Chess.

ReputationRep:
    Age of Empires 2.

ReputationRep:
    Total War series.

ReputationRep:
    StarCraft - without a doubt, the defining game of the RTS genre.

Check out SC2 if you want some fast paced gameplay with a mixed skill level in multiplayer.

ReputationRep:
    There's only one contender...

ReputationRep:
    Age of Empires II and Company of Heroes are awesome games...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    AOEII is the ultimate really. Other games surpass it in terms of graphics and complexity, but AOEII will always have a special place in my heart.

ReputationRep:
    Total War series.

Trust me. Amazing games.

I would advise starting on Rome or Medieval Total War 2 because they are easier to handle.

Empire Total War is really in depth and is pretty vast to be honest. I found it a bit overwhelming when I first played it. So, I am not sure it is best to buy that first.

ReputationRep:
    Starcraft By far, most people stating othwise probably have not even played it yet.

Not to mention the Online multiplayer is EPIC : )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Orange)
    Command & Conquer Red Alert 2 (the Yuri's Revenge expansion pack was also brilliant ~ shame EA decided to ruin the franchise)
    Red Alert 2 was good, and has nice graphics, but is absolutely blown out of the water for sheer gameplay by it's predecessor: C+C Tiberian Sun (1999). I have been playing this online since 2004. It takes a few games for you to realise you're going to get totally destroyed by the other players. Anyway I've played maybe 400+ online matches. Average time 30 mins each.

(Original post by 01010000 01001010)

Check out SC2 if you want some fast paced gameplay with a mixed skill level in multiplayer.
    The defining game of the RTS genre!!?! Wow haha. I'm downloading it. Sorry, I mean.... ordering it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 01010000 01001010)

mixed skill level... too right, I won 5 games in a row today then lost 1 against a guy in a lower league and got demoted. seriously?

ReputationRep:
    Some great suggestions above.

I'd personally recommend Heroes of Newerth. It's solely multiplayer mind you and very intense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swiftylol)
    Starcraft By far, most people stating othwise probably have not even played it yet.

Not to mention the Online multiplayer is EPIC : )
    Yep. Honourable mention to warcraft III Frozen Throne as well.

Shame WOW killed its online community

ReputationRep:
    Supreme Commander and Sins of a Solar Empire.

ReputationRep:
    World in Conflict.
    Made something that could so easily have come true into a video game!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Empire earth is pretty epic.
    Rise of nations/Legends

But red alert 2 has to be the best game.

ReputationRep:
    Red alert 2. Played all the C&C's preceding it and while they're good (and even stand the test of time), RA2+ yuri's revenge addon was the high point of the entire series imo.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What time of year is the worst for students?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.