Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why is football still in the dark ages? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Suffers from racism, violence and homophobia to a much higher extent than say tennis and other sports.

ReputationRep:
    i thought you were going to talk about the technology used compared to other sports such as tennis or cricket.

violence there may be, homophobia may exist in sub-groups of hardcore football hooligans but generally people don't care (and believe it or not gays can like football too) and i think you'll find there is no racism in football whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    It's the most popular sport in the world, and therefore it attracts a higher volume of fans compared to other sports.

Simply with the sheer number of football fans, you're bound to get more *****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Margaret Thatcher)
    Suffers from racism, violence and homophobia to a much higher extent than say tennis and other sports.
    great decision by blatter to give the 2018 and 2022 world cups to russia and qatar, no?
    what a prick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NOBODY MOVE!)
    great decision by blatter to give the 2018 and 2022 world cups to russia and qatar, no?
    what a prick.
    Jealous much? It is the world cup, at least give them a chance.

ReputationRep:
    Football is thoroughly anti-racist. Violence? In the 1980s mainly. Since the EPL, there has seldom been much violence in stadia. And homophobia? Perhaps, but I think general British opinion on that is mixed. I don't personally think it's as looked down on as racism or sexism. it depends on one's social circle mainly.

ReputationRep:
    what a prick.
    You tool. :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    Have you just managed to post from the 1980's or something??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewroll)
    Jealous much? It is the world cup, at least give them a chance.
    explain to me why would i be jealous? =))))
    lithuania didn't enter to host the event. and i wouldn't say my country, as it is, would be capable of hosting one for decades

...besides, lithuania has never qualified for world cup, or european championships ;(

ReputationRep:
    explain to me why would i be jealous? =))))
    lithuania didn't enter to host the event. and i wouldn't say my country, as it is, would be capable of hosting one for decades

...besides, lithuania has never qualified for world cup, or european championships ;(
    Well seeing as your location says your in London, UK, i assumed you were English.
    And still give the countries a chance, lets see what they do first before we say how it was a bad decision ¬_¬

ReputationRep:
    Because a lot of working class people like football, things like tennis and cricket are more middle class.

Heh heh heh.

ReputationRep:
    becuz it's ****?

(Original post by WelshBluebird)
      Have you just managed to post from the 1980's or something??
      When was the internet invented? Maggie's got a time machine :awesome:

ReputationRep:
      Maggie Thatcher is still alive you know, although apparentely she's going senile.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by CB91)
      You tool. :facepalm2:
      He's right though.

It's going to be fun for all the black players in Russia.

And it's going to be fun for all the gays in qatar.

Absolute joke to give it to either of them.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by DontBuyTheSun)
      He's right though.

Well I still think we should give them a chance. And remember, they wont want to make themselves look bad in front of the whole world. I think the racism and homophobia could be turned down a bit in these countries. As long as the gays dont be gay in Qatar they should be fine.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Broderss)
      i think you'll find there is no racism in football whatsoever.
      That's quite a claim? Racism in football does exist and there are a variety of contemporary incidents such as Emilie Heskey's subjection to racial chants while playing for England against Croatia and Russia's record on racism in football is far from unblemished.

Racism within football predominantly exists outside Britain but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by DontBuyTheSun)
      He's right though.

People were saying the same sort of things about South Africa. That everyone was going to be mugged, shot or buttraped. Guess what? No-one was. Stop generalising.

Like another guy has said in this thread, its the World Cup. Not the Lets-only-give-it-to-developed-western countries Cup.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Margaret Thatcher)
      it's a pleb sport :awesome:

ReputationRep:
      Homophobia is an issue everywhere, tbh.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.