I want a JCB phone for Christmas Watch

ReputationRep:
    You can drop it onto concrete from two metres up :cool:

It floats in water :cool::cool:

You can cycle over it :cool::cool::cool:

and it still won't break.

What's more it has the legendary black and yellow JCB colour scheme

ReputationRep:
    Unlike the iPhone, it won't get you laid sadly.

ReputationRep:
    Fine, but I'm not buying it for you, if that's what you were hinting at.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey)
    iPhones are **** tho

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Orange)
    iPhones are **** tho
    Imma let you finish, but iPhone greatest phone all time

ReputationRep:
    http://www.iphonessuck.com/

"Its well known that your typical iphone owner believes apple invented a lot of the features the iphone possesses like apps, a touch screen, web browsers on mobile phones etc. Apple really don’t mind this, in fact they want you to think they are cutting edge, even if they are not. When MMS and copy and paste finally came to the iphone many people were convinced Apple had invented them.

It’s also well known by those of us who have been using decent phones for a while now that these features have been available on plenty of smart phones years before the iphone came out."

ReputationRep:

"Its well known that your typical iphone owner believes apple invented a lot of the features the iphone possesses like apps, a touch screen, web browsers on mobile phones etc. Apple really don’t mind this, in fact they want you to think they are cutting edge, even if they are not. When MMS and copy and paste finally came to the iphone many people were convinced Apple had invented them.

It’s also well known by those of us who have been using decent phones for a while now that these features have been available on plenty of smart phones years before the iphone came out."
    They invented facetime

ReputationRep:
    They invented facetime

YES!

ReputationRep:
    It's like the first Nokia with a body-builder shell.

It doesn't even have snake, though. :indiff:

ReputationRep:
    Why would you want to cycle over your phone?

ReputationRep:

I had a phone 6 years ago that I could download applications for. It didn't mean anyone ever did; they were so difficult to work out how and pieces of crap if you could get them.

Innovation in a commercial product is ultimately pointless unless you make it user-friendly, which is what Apple excel in. I'd rather have a device which wasn't the first to implement something, but was the best at it.

ReputationRep:
    *Blackberry

ReputationRep:
    Your point may have some validity if iPhones weren't so common. I'm sure you were trying to be funny but iPhones aren't all that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexs2602)
    Your point may have some validity if iPhones weren't so common. I'm sure you were trying to be funny but iPhones aren't all that.
    PAY iPhone (like mine) > a contract one.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who has attempted to maintain a conversation over a landline (or listen to music) within five feet of an iPhone will probably beg to differ.

ReputationRep:
    They invented facetime

[IMG][/IMG]
    Sorry, gotta 'burst your bubble' here. Though Apple have licensed the term, it was a little known UK company called 'Three.co.uk | 3' that actually invented 'facetime' though of course it wasn't called that. It was simply called a 'video call' and used to cost: 50p a minute and was performed over a 'live' network and NOT wifi or an equivalent.

This feature also predates anything Apple came up with by a few years and can be found in the google.groups archive as seen here: https://groups.google.com/group/uk.t...e0a5f22de9708c as you'll probably notice.

Here's one of their priceplans, of which there are more at the link provided:

The price plans are:
    Option 1: 3ToGo
    No monthly line rental
    Send emails and explore news reports, sports news and fixture
    listings, share prices, Lotto results and more for FREE until June
    30th 2003

Voice calls on 3's network to other 3 customers charged at 5p a minute
    Other voice calls start from 10p a minute
    Video calls charged at 50p a minute
    Video downloads from 50p each, depending on content, including FA
    Premier League action, cartoons, comedy and more
    Text messages charged at 10p each, picture messages at 25p and video
    messages at 50p
    Up to £10 worth of video downloads free each month for your first
    three months
    Buy two handsets and get £100 off the total price, plus a 20% discount
    off the price of your video calls.
    Other rates apply to international calls, usage while abroad,
    directory enquiries, premium rate calls and certain other special
    telephony services.
    So there you go, proof positive that Apple invented nothing of the kind, merely as always COPIED an existing idea.

HTH

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tempac)
    Sorry, gotta 'burst your bubble' here. Though Apple have licensed the term, it was a little known UK company called 'Three.co.uk | 3' that actually invented 'facetime' though of course it wasn't called that. It was simply called a 'video call' and used to cost: 50p a minute and was performed over a 'live' network and NOT wifi or an equivalent.

This feature also predates anything Apple came up with by a few years and can be found in the google.groups archive as seen here: https://groups.google.com/group/uk.t...e0a5f22de9708c as you'll probably notice.

Here's one of their priceplans, of which there are more at the link provided:

So there you go, proof positive that Apple invented nothing of the kind, merely as always COPIED an existing idea.

HTH
    You do realise I was joking, sorry for wasting your time bro.

ReputationRep:
    You do realise I was joking, sorry for wasting your time bro.
    Well obviously. That's why I went to all the trouble to write that lot out and inform you as I did.

In truth I wasn't sure you were being sarcastic with that fantastically drawn 'artwork' you included. However as the subject digressed slightly into the obligatory 'iphone is THE ONLY PHONE' as these subjects often do. I thought it a worthy contribution as not a lot of people actually realise that as was mentioned earlier, that Apple don't actually invent all the features they include with their products. The iphonesucks webpage which mentioned the cut\paste was actually spot on.

As for 'wasting your time', on the contrary it didn't waste any. Hopefully in the future should your friends tell you of the fantastic 'facetime' feature 'created by Apple' you can now enlighten them as to the actual facts.

My apologies for taking the subject even further off topic.

ReputationRep:
    Where are these people who sleep with other people because they have nice phones? I have a nice phone :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Art then not other tough phones available?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.