Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I didnt know that grapefruit juice inhibits oestrogen. Over the last few days I have drank 0.75L of grapefruit juice diluted with a little bit of orange juice. Also taken my pill every morning.
    How likely is it that my pill has stopped working?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Grapefruit juice is a CYP3A4 inhibitor, and therefore does not affect the metabolism of Oestrogen. If anything, bioavailability of Oestrogen would increase if metabolised by the same pathways. There are no vailidated or known interactions.

Source: BNF.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kathrin)
    Hi guys,

I didnt know that grapefruit juice inhibits oestrogen. Over the last few days I have drank 0.75L of grapefruit juice diluted with a little bit of orange juice. Also taken my pill every morning.
    How likely is it that my pill has stopped working?

Thanks
    I'm not sure of the exact answer, as I need to know which drug it is. Have you looked at your patient information leaflet?

Also if you are worried, go and take your medication with you to a pharmacy and talk to a pharmacist and see what they say.

Hope that helps!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 17, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.