Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Driving instructor's new car and test tomorrow! Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have my driving test tomorrow and my instructor did not warn me that he was getting a new car. I kept stalling and my reference points have now changed, as if I haven't enought to remember!

ReputationRep:
    That's a mighty fine reason for changing your instructor. It sounds like he's been teaching you by rote rather than the correct procedure. This usually manifests itself with a change from diesel to petrol.

You should be able to drive any car and your instructor should have given you advice that enables you to do this. All you would need in a new car is a little familiarisation and the feel of a slightly different bite point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Advisor)
    That's a mighty fine reason for changing your instructor. It sounds like he's been teaching you by rote rather than the correct procedure. This usually manifests itself with a change from diesel to petrol.

You should be able to drive any car and your instructor should have given you advice that enables you to do this. All you would need in a new car is a little familiarisation and the feel of a slightly different bite point.
    To be fair this is true. However as a learner a change of car in such late notice is unfair. Yes she will probably be able to drive any car once she has passed, but on your test you need to drive perfectly. And i am certain most of us don't drive perfectly everyday. I mean I can probably drive a Range Rover Sport now I have passed, but i'm sure that on my test day...if i had to drive one..i would have failed. (And i'm not a bad driver..passed with 2 minors)

ReputationRep:
    at least you'll look good to the people outside looking in...fresh car and all that

ReputationRep:
    your instructor probably wants you to fail, so he/she got a new car knowing that there is a greater chance of you failing, and therefore you can have more lessons... driving instructors are money whores

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by air-ninety-one)
    your instructor probably wants you to fail, so he/she got a new car knowing that there is a greater chance of you failing, and therefore you can have more lessons... driving instructors are money whores
    This.

ReputationRep:
    Because spending a vast amount of money on a new car is totally worth it for an extra hundred quid or so in lessons, if she fails :rolleyes:

OP, if you can't pass the test on a different car, you're not ready.
    Do you drive different cars at all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TShadow383)
    Because spending a vast amount of money on a new car is totally worth it for an extra hundred quid or so in lessons, if she fails :rolleyes:

OP, if you can't pass the test on a different car, you're not ready.
    Do you drive different cars at all?
    actually genius it depends if the instructor is with a company or independent. my instructor was from red driving and he got his car's for free as they have to upgrade after 6 months.

ReputationRep:
    my instructor was from red driving and he got his car's for free as they have to upgrade after 6 months.
    So you've just said that his car exchange cycle is a fixed one, so he can't be deliberately doing it to charge for more lessons, can he? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    My instructor did this a week before my test, and I passed. Don't worry OP you will be fine just concentrate. Stalling isn't necessarily a fail if you deal with it safely.

ReputationRep:
    Just seen you posted 4 days ago, so you've already had your test. Oh well, hope you passed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Advisor)
    So you've just said that his car exchange cycle is a fixed one, so he can't be deliberately doing it to charge for more lessons, can he? :rolleyes:
    not fixed, up to 6 months...

and it depends if he is an independent or with a company.

or i could be wrong

fin

ReputationRep:
    No instructor (at least no instructor with a brain) deliberately changes car to sabotage a pupils chances of passing their test. Some instructors drag out the lessons, but it isn't quite as common as you might think.

Independents or small schools are less likely to take you for a ride, as the majority of their work is via word of mouth recommendation, so its in their interest to get you though your test first time. The national schools don't have to worry about customer service quite so much as they have massive advertising budgets to patch up the reputational wounds.

ReputationRep:
    My test is on Tuesday 14th 0ctober, my instructor turns up to my last two hour lesson before test in a different car..Livid and confidence blow understatement. .went from a 1.2 ford fiesta to a ford focus 1.6 and feels so much different. . I hate the new car with a passion..I dont think its fair to put even more pressure on someone just before a test..

ReputationRep:
    I done my test in a new car it's not as bad as you think it'll be just be extra cautious with your distances etc. Ask for more lessons to get used to the car first? I told the examiner it was a new car aswell just incase it made a difference. I passed though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.