Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've just received some very sad news from a family I stayed with in Germany last year... I'd like to send them a sympathy card but I'm not sure of any idioms used in German.

Can anyone help?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    well there is '(mein) Beileid bekunden' which means to offer (my) condolences, but it really depends on how formal you want to be. 'es tut mir (schrecklich) Leid' means 'I am (terribly) sorry'.

perhaps if you were to say what sort of thing you wanted to put in the card?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

It doesn't need to be too formal since I do know the family, but I want to be able to express how sorry I am without getting all the grammar wrong or saying one thing and meaning something completely different!

ReputationRep:
    If it deals with the loss of a family member keep it that way:

Ich war sehr traurig diese Nachricht zu hören. Ich kann nur erahnnen wie schlecht es euch jetzt geht und möchte an dieser Stelle sagen, dass ich mit euch fühle. Ich kann von hieraus nihct viel für euch tun, aber wenn es doch etwas geben sollte, dann lasst es mich bitte wissen.

Traurige Grüße aus ....

do you understand what I have written? I could translate it in case it is needed.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I understand it, thanks! It expresses what I'm trying to say a lot better than what I attempted to write. Thanks again, it helped a lot.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.