Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Facebook + embarrassing parents= disaster! Watch

ReputationRep:
    I know, my own fault for having my mum as a 'friend' on Facebook but I had to accept or she would have nagged me endlessly!

She's so embarrassing though, she clicks like on every single status and comment on my wall and leaves comments which are cringe worthy and sometimes don't even relate to the status or make sense!

I've gone as far as changing my privacy settings a couple of times so she couldn't see my wall or couldn't click like or comment but then she just had a massive teenage-hissy-fit about it and I had to change the settings and asked her politely to not click like on everything I do but it didn't work and she still clicks like on everything! I don't actually update my status that often but it's usually with something witty and having my mum like it, makes it less witty imo.. She, on the other hand practically lives on Facebook and it's stupid games (farm-thing for example) which I refuse to go on and her own wall is filled with things she has achieved on these games.. :rolleyes:

Does anyone else have this problem with a parent/ other relative, or perhaps a solution lol

I tried to find a 'my mum likes all my statuses group' to join so she would get the hint but no such luck!

ReputationRep:
    Get her a hamster or anything. Massive cringe.

ReputationRep:
    You need to give her a proper lesson on Facebook etiquette - she's behaving like a 12 year old!

If that fails, tell your Mum you're leaving Facebook, block her, then make sure never to use it in front of her.

ReputationRep:
    delete your facebook acc. thats what i did. people kept stalkin me. fb is a waste of time

ReputationRep:
    I don't mean to be rude, but my response would be "So what?"

If you still can't get over it, then I'd suggest you tell your mother that her facebook activity is an embarrasing pain the arse (But you may re-phrase that slightly)

ReputationRep:
    My nana and grandad put up a picture of me of where I'm just in my underwear (as a toddler). Luckily they never tag it so no one will ever see it.

I can't see the big deal about your mother liking your status.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RightSaidJames)
    You need to give her a proper lesson on Facebook etiquette - she's behaving like a 12 year old!

If that fails, tell your Mum you're leaving Facebook, block her, then make sure never to use it in front of her.
    I know right! In the past she's even gone as far as adding my friends!! (ones she's never met!) I could understand a couple of my friends who went round my house a fair few times but people she doesn't know is ridiculous!

She added a guy on my course who added her back thinking she was my cousin or something because of the surname, I think he removed her when I told him who it was and apologised many amounts :s: then told her to back off and not add people from my list (this didn't go down well). She's also peeved with me because she added my gf and I told my gf to please not add her back so she hasn't but apparently this is so highly offensive. She's friends with a load of randoms she doesn't know irl and they have tried to add me so I don't want them trying to add my gf. How is this so bad? /rant over (for now)

Also to clarify, she moved abroad so it's our main point of contact (she doesn't know how to log into her email accounts and never bothers with skype and phoning is too expensive) also we have a few mutual friends (my cousins, brother, uncle, old neighbours etc) ... My 14 year old brother uses Facebook less than she does!

ReputationRep:
    my mum does the same stalks my facebook comments on everything........at one point i removed her from my facebook friends that didn't go well she acted as if i'd stabbed her or something oh dear.

ReputationRep:
    Shouldn't have added her in the first place, just delete her from your friends list.

ReputationRep:
    Get in a relationship with her.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Just explain to her that it's embarrassing! Or you can alternatively leave this lying around with a route drawn on which goes past the "Do you care if you if your parents 'like' everything you do?" and very clearly the answer is YES!

I've got my mum, brother, aunts, uncles, granny on facebook and they are very good. From time to time they comment on my status but make it relevant, they like the occasional status, and from time to time my mum or brother write on my wall.

The one embarrassing thing was when my mum somehow managed to comment on one of my friend from uni's status which I had commented on, not sure how, but she did! AWKWARD!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacktri)
    my mum does the same stalks my facebook comments on everything........at one point i removed her from my facebook friends that didn't go well she acted as if i'd stabbed her or something oh dear.
    yes exactly the same, as if I'd stabbed her! I had to make up some lame excuse about how I'd accidentally changed the privacy settings for everyone just to make her shut up

ReputationRep:
    Be honest with her, otherwise it will get worse.

ReputationRep:
    Haha if it was my mother I would have told her already to stop flooding my page with her presence or I would block her from finding me on there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aleathiel)
    I know, my own fault for having my mum as a 'friend' on Facebook but I had to accept or she would have nagged me endlessly!

She's so embarrassing though, she clicks like on every single status and comment on my wall and leaves comments which are cringe worthy and sometimes don't even relate to the status or make sense!

I've gone as far as changing my privacy settings a couple of times so she couldn't see my wall or couldn't click like or comment but then she just had a massive teenage-hissy-fit about it and I had to change the settings and asked her politely to not click like on everything I do but it didn't work and she still clicks like on everything! I don't actually update my status that often but it's usually with something witty and having my mum like it, makes it less witty imo.. She, on the other hand practically lives on Facebook and it's stupid games (farm-thing for example) which I refuse to go on and her own wall is filled with things she has achieved on these games.. :rolleyes:

Does anyone else have this problem with a parent/ other relative, or perhaps a solution lol

I tried to find a 'my mum likes all my statuses group' to join so she would get the hint but no such luck!
    Who squeezed who out of a vagina? Have some respect.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps you could compromise and have a Facebook for your Mum and other family members, then another for everyone else. That way you can keep in touch but your Mum won't be getting in the way.

ReputationRep:
    You and your friends are old enough to know that you can't control what your mum does online--as long as she's not posting embarrassing personal information I think your best bet here is to let things lie. If she lives abroad and it's her only point of contact with you, I expect she's lonely and just likes to feel close. My guess is that'll ease off a bit as she settles in. In the meantime, I think you're a little old to be this embarrassed by it--no one thinks less of you because your mum comments on your fb a lot. Try to relax a little and see things from her perspective.

ReputationRep:
    make a new status

"had the best shag last night, guys **** was huge, can still taste him when i finger myself."

If that doesnt stop her nothing will.

If she goes mental say your account was hacked or something.

Im so glad i have a cool mom

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RightSaidJames)
    Perhaps you could compromise and have a Facebook for your Mum and other family members, then another for everyone else. That way you can keep in touch but your Mum won't be getting in the way.
    I may just do that! Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    You could hack her account and delete your friends from her list.

After that, make sure to change the settings on every post to prevent her from seeing them. Let one or two go through, so she thinks she can see all of them (but you know better )

The trick is moderation. Let her see enough that she thinks she's seeing all. I do that with my family (26 people overall - cousins, aunts, dad, uncle etc). They can see only 1/4th of my albums and posts. They don't suspect a thing!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.