Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

is it immoral to want to hit somebody? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    If so, why? there are some people i wish to do so, but I need reasons why it shouldn't be so.

ReputationRep:
    so... do you actually hit them or what?
    I don't think it's immoral, depends if you actually want to beat them up or just a slap in the face,
    usually the latter for me but I tend to have pretty good reasons

ReputationRep:
    Its not immoral wanting to do it, but actually doing it is a different matter. Im sure we all feel like hitting someone at some point if people annoy us but most of us wouldnt actually physically do it.

Personally I would only hit someone in self defence, but everyone is different.

ReputationRep:
    :troll:

ReputationRep:
    You can hit anybody you want to...just make sure they dont get back up again and tell anyone about it -_-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tbm)
    Its not immoral wanting to do it, but actually doing it is a different matter. Im sure we all feel like hitting someone at some point if people annoy us but most of us wouldnt actually physically do it.

Personally I would only hit someone in self defence, but everyone is different.
    Who says this? the liberal/PC society we live in? Who is this "most"? Your own social circle?

ReputationRep:
    yes it is immoral. I was hit in the back of the neck for no reason when I was 16 by boys from my class while I was only playing in my front garden with my toys and I am now 21 and my neck always clicks it has ruined my life.

ReputationRep:
    It is the gravest sin you could ever commit. Santa Claus is coming to town in about a week and he knows if you've been bad or good. RUN FOR YOUR LIFE, OP!

ReputationRep:
    Did they **** your mum?

ReputationRep:
    There's a large part of every human being that wants to beat the living ship out of someone else. The key is not to give into it... or do it when no-one is looking. :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karateworm)
    There's a large part of every human being that wants to beat the living ship out of someone else. The key is not to give into it... or do it when no-one is looking. :ahee:
    Why? Morality differs from person to person.

ReputationRep:
    Morality doesn't exist, it's a social construct. Do whatever the heck you like when you like, but when the hammer of social convention and society pound down upon you make sure it was worth it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)
    Why? Morality differs from person to person.
    Purely because it's practical not to, it's frowned upon in society and will most likely end in social rebuke/a criminal charge. In part of Bolivia violence is seen as a good thing and children are encouraged to participate. Link here

Of course you could take the mindset that whilst it is morally ok for you, you are still causing unnecessary harm to another human being and is therefore always wrong... but as you said, that view point is subjective.

ReputationRep:
    It is not immoral to want to hit somebody. Thats perfectly natural.

However, it is immoral to actually hit them. Unless in self defence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metalthrashin'mad)
    Morality doesn't exist, it's a social construct. Do whatever the heck you like when you like, but when the hammer of social convention and society pound down upon you make sure it was worth it.
    there is no such thing as social convention

ReputationRep:
    Purely because it's practical not to, it's frowned upon in society and will most likely end in social rebuke/a criminal charge. In part of Bolivia violence is seen as a good thing and children are encouraged to participate. Link here

Of course you could take the mindset that whilst it is morally ok for you, you are still causing unnecessary harm to another human being and is therefore always wrong... but as you said, that view point is subjective.
    i disagree. in some cases, it's wholly justified.

ReputationRep:
    Want to back that up? Because although I cba to in my post I have philosophical reasons for my belief on morality from studying the subject for a number of years, that I can post if you want.

I am basically just intrigued as to how someone can deny that social convention exists

ReputationRep:
    Of course there is. Plenty of people conform to to what they think is "the right thing" just because their peers do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metalthrashin'mad)
    Want to back that up? Because although I cba to in my post I have philosophical reasons for my belief on morality from studying the subject for a number of years, that I can post if you want.

I am basically just intrigued as to how someone can deny that social convention exists
    it doesn't exist. I think if a person has the opportunity to hit, so be it.

ReputationRep:

why is it wrong to cause harm to people? i think some people deserve it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.