Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who said Virginia Woolf's greatest contribution to literature was her suicide? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I can't remember and it's bugging me... for once, Google has failed me!

Ta if you can help.

ReputationRep:
    Someone said that? How rude!

I've just tried googling and nothing came up, but I'd be interested to know too.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Would you mean in the same way that Van Gough's best contribution to his art was his death>

ReputationRep:
    it's not on google so.... nobody did

ReputationRep:
    If anyone said that they deserve to die! My ancestors used to live just round the corner from her...nice bit of trivia for you

ReputationRep:
    Irene Coates's book Who's Afraid of Leonard Woolf: A Case for the Sanity of Virginia Woolf holds that Leonard Woolf's treatment of his wife encouraged her ill health and ultimately was responsible for her death. This is not accepted by Leonard's family but is extensively researched and fills in some of the gaps in the traditional account of Virginia Woolf's life. Victoria Glendinning's book Leonard Woolf: A Biography, which is even more extensively researched and supported by contemporaneous writings, argues that Leonard Woolf was not only supportive of his wife but enabled her to live as long as she did by providing her with the life and atmosphere she needed to live and write. Accounts of Virginia's supposed anti-semitism (Leonard was jewish) are not only taken out of historical context but greatly exaggerated. Virginia's own diaries support this view of the Woolfs' marriage.
    Might be because her suicide brought attention to both her work and her own situation. Whoever said it wasn't necessarily being callous.

I'm assuming this was an essay question titled "'Virginia Woolf's greatest contribution to literature was her suicide'. Discuss." rather than an actual quote. Your teacher made it up.

ReputationRep:
    ...or said person could've hated her novels so much that they consider the best way she could benefit the literary world is by ceasing to be in it...

ReputationRep:
    Don't blame whoever said it. I was reading 'To the lighthouse' when I decided to drop English Literature.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asdfg0987)
    Don't blame whoever said it. I was reading 'To the lighthouse' when I decided to drop English Literature.
    :unimpressed: I've just ordered To the Lighthouse. Just finished Mrs Dalloway, too. Can't see why everyone hates her...

LOL! Probably Morrissey.

ReputationRep:
      I have no idea but if they are still alive and said it in front of me, it could be their last words.

She furthered literature in general and women's writing such an enormous amount that even those who do not like her work should appreciate the tremendous innovation in her work and how her pioneering spirit paved the way for so many excellent writers throughout the twentieth century and beyond.

I would suspect that if that remark really was made in the context I imagine it was, it was made by some smartarse Romantic fetishist or neo-Victorian sentimentalist who failed to understand that literature did not end when the twentieth century began.

ReputationRep:
      Virginia frickin woolf!

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 21, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.