Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why are there so many uninformed and bigoted people around? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Whenever I read the news on the internet, I look at the comments at the bottom. 99% of them are super-rightwing, hateful comments which i would disagree with completely.

For example, with the guy who was nearly killed in the student protests its all 'he got what was coming to him' etc.
    With the tuition fees, everybody says 'why should we pay our taxes for them to go to uni'
    When it comes to young people they are always a 'disgrace'

Possibly the most worrying comments are the ones regarding immigration, filled with implications that 'they' are somehow inferior to people born in the UK, and that British people 'deserve' to live comfortably whereas immigrants don't.

Also anything to do with Islam, many are under the impression that every Muslim is only here to try and turn Britain into some fundamentalist islamic state.

When it comes to human rights, people just don't seem to care, many would like to see the return of the death penalty, and for the human rights of criminals to be removed.

I know that you would expect this in the comments section of the daily mail or other similar newspapers, but is it worrying that there are so many people around in the UK with extreme views?

ReputationRep:
    Why are people so goddamn stupid right?

ReputationRep:
    Most of the nice people don't bother leaving comments because they have interesting things to do because they're nice people. It's only the prats, who make up a very small part of the population, that you're seeing.

ReputationRep:
    Extreme views aren't based on thin air- although it is wrong to generalise there is some reason behind most generalisations. Also the ignorant tend to be a minority that almost seems to come across as a majority. So there is a small number of people who are ignorant in the Uk - so what? These people are everywhere, so to worry about the UK, especially since in general it is actually fairly liberal compared to most of the rest of the world is silly.

Concentrate on the positives, as they are few and try to just chill out about the negatives because they are a constant and will always be there in great numbers. There is no point getting wound up about things you cannot change.

ReputationRep:
    Right, so right wing = bad?

Eugh, people like you annoy me. The internet is for everyone, not just people who agree with you. You don't like the comments on a site? Either stop going there or get over it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChewyMeister)
    Extreme views aren't based on thin air- although it is wrong to generalise there is some reason behind most generalisations. Also the ignorant tend to be a minority that almost seems to come across as a majority. So there is a small number of people who are ignorant in the Uk - so what? These people are everywhere, so to worry about the UK, especially since in general it is actually fairly liberal compared to most of the rest of the world is silly.

Concentrate on the positives, as they are few and try to just chill out about the negatives because they are a constant and will always be there in great numbers. There is no point getting wound up about things you cannot change.
    Well yeah, the UK is arguably the most liberal major country in the world. In comparison with most other countries it is far better.

Is it right to say we can't change the fact that there is an ignorant minority though? If they were all properly educated and everything would the situation be different?

ReputationRep:
    Opinions on the internet =/= opinions in real life. Some people just want to rile people up for entertainment. Although I have to say, just because a view is controversial or maybe you disagree with it, does not make it 'wrong' and the person stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steevee)
    Right, so right wing = bad?

Eugh, people like you annoy me. The internet is for everyone, not just people who agree with you. You don't like the comments on a site? Either stop going there or get over it.
    No, not right wing = bad. extremist = bad.

All im really saying is that the internet exposes that there is quite a lot of racism etc. out there.

Im posting my views on the internet just like you are... so listen to your own advice, don't have a go at me just because you don't necessarily agree with my views.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dnaalpha)
    No, not right wing = bad. extremist = bad.

All im really saying is that the internet exposes that there is quite a lot of racism etc. out there.

Im posting my views on the internet just like you are... so listen to your own advice, don't have a go at me just because you don't necessarily agree with my views.
    There's difference, you're complaining about people having their own views, my criticism is perfectly valid. :rolleyes:

Yes, there is a lot of somewhat disconserting sentiment around, but you're only afraid of it because of his PC society we live in. In the real world not everyone gets on, and some people hate oher people for stupid reasons.

If we lived in a society mature enough to acknowledge that then there would be less of these sentimnts about, but because at every turn you are told you can't say this about them, and no, you can't do that because of this people end up angry than when they started.

People air thir true views when they can be anonymous. You probabley have friends who are secretly a bit racist, or homophobic, but you don't know it because they can't say it. No doubt you have you're own prejudice. So just grow up. It's not like those people's comments affect you, hell some of them are probaly a great del more enlightend than you, just because they have a view that doesn't fit in with this PC nonsense doesn't mean they're ignorant or bigoted.

ReputationRep:
    The views you define as "extremist" (criminals should be punished harshly, immigration is bad for the country, men and women are fundamentally different, nobody has the right to take what others have worked for) were entirely mainstream only a few decades ago. When we look back we see that England in the mid 20th century was by far a more pleasant and harmonious society than the one we see today. Hence the reason why there are many of us who wish for a return to "bigoted and uninformed" traditional values.

ReputationRep:
    So im supposed to accept your views but your not supposed to accept mine?

Mid C20 England was more pleasant and harmonious... thats a big statement to make. Can I ask how?

ReputationRep:
    Can somebody tell me why those who have violated the society which gives them rights deserve any?

Can somebody explain to me how this country can sustain excessive immigration without reducing the quality of life for everybody else?

Can somebody explain to me the problem with executing a man who is not only a rampant drug addict, but cannot be deported, costs 30k a year to keep incarcerated and has raped/murdered a young girl...

Can somebody explain to me...?

ReputationRep:
    Human intelligence lies on a bell curve. The average IQ is 100, and roughly 50% of cases in the UK will be below that.

Disclaimer: It's a joke you eejit.

ReputationRep:
    being against immigration is obvious with an unemployment rate as high as ours it is an idiot move to have more people moving in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dnaalpha)
    So im supposed to accept your views but your not supposed to accept mine?

Mid C20 England was more pleasant and harmonious... thats a big statement to make. Can I ask how?
    I accept your views, I just don't agree with them. And note that I haven't called you bigoted or uninformed for holding them.
    England was better in too many ways to mention. But I can list just a few:

-Crime was 900% lower
    -Alcohol consumption was 50% lower
    -We had rich and beautiful culture, not the Sun/Big Brother/Katie Price etc trash we see today.
    -Nearly all children had a father in the home, compared to only three quarters (less than the number with televisions in their bedroom) today
    -Less than a million people were unemployed
    -We were respected (if not always loved) in every corner of the globe
    -We had a sense of identity and community and knew about our history. Expressions of patriotism weren't treated as suspect by authorities.
    - We had a gerater degree of liberty and weren't spied on 24/7 by CCTV, nor was our DNA taken forcefully or our right to defend our homes denied.

ReputationRep:
    1. This country has an immigration problem.

2. This country has a broken education system.

My solution:

1. Leave EU and limit further immigration only to those skills the country needs (the latter requires the former). Right now because of the EU that's not happening. We should limit immigration to keep our country's culture a British culture. None of you want to live elsewhere right? So I guess you like British culture and would happily limit immigration - that doesn't make you a fascist. Wearing leather boots makes you a fascist. Also, immigrants take jobs of graduates so it isn't in the personal interests of you the student who wants a job when he/she graduates to support immigration.

2. Because so many people have degrees they are now meaningless titles so my solution would be to make them COST NOTHING. Let's make them FREE. Don't make students mortgage their lives for something completely worthless. Let's make tertiary education free BUT reform the education system so that there are more practical, vocational courses that would actually help students get a job... this is what students want, useful education to help them get on in life.

My explanation for the comments is the existence of problems 1 and 2. Until you accept these are problems you won't understand why people are angry. You don't have to agree with their solutions so propose your own... but it's time more students recognised the problem with immigration and their education system.

Is it really extremist to want lower taxes, to expect successful graduates to pay for their investment instead?

You say you don't just think right-wing = bad, but judging from that example, I really do think you just don't want people to disagree with your views.

ReputationRep:
      its simple, you are a student so you feel strongly against things that personally effect you (rise in tuition fees) and when you are 50 you will feel strongly about things that effect you as well.

most people when they grow up lean to the right because:
      a) common sense prevails
      b) they start paying taxes

ReputationRep:
      Oh yes, I hate it when people disagree with me. Ignorant bigots.

ReputationRep:
      Our modern liberal attitude is to a large degree a front.

People wouldn't say bigoted things in public, but would behind closed doors.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.