Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

World Darts Championship 2011 Watch

• TSR Support Team

IT all kicks off today on Sky Sports, how I always look forward to Sid Waddel commentating on events like this, as he says it is gonna be a belter, full draw below. I highly doubt anyone is going to steal Phil 'The Power' Taylor's crown.

FIRST ROUND

Phil Taylor (Eng, 1) v Mawson/Gionzon

John Part (Can, 32) v Laursen/Krcmar

Paul Nicholson (Aus, 16) v Steve Farmer (Eng)

Co Stompe (Ned, 17) v Peter Wright (Sco)

Ronnie Baxter (Eng, 8) v Scholten/Viinikka (Fin)

Mark Webster (Wal, 25) v Steve Maish (Eng)

Colin Lloyd (Eng, 9) v Andree Welge (Ger)

Steve Beaton (Eng, 24) v Mark Hylton (Eng)

Adrian Lewis (Eng, 5) v Tony Eccles (Eng)

Mark Dudbridge (Eng, 28) v Alex Roy (Eng)

Andy Hamilton (Eng, 12) v Dennis Smith (Eng)

Robert Thornton (Sco, 21) v Nigel Heydon (Eng)

Simon Whitlock (Aus, 4) v Steve Evans (Wal)

Denis Ovens (Eng, 29) v Artut/MacKenzie

Wayne Jones (Eng, 13) v Rob Modra (Aus)

Vincent van der Voort (Ned, 20) v Mansell/Ridd

James Wade (Eng, 2) v Antonio Alcinas (Spa)

Michael van Gerwen (Ned, 31) v Mensur Suljovic (Aut)

Wes Newton (Eng, 15) v Darin Young (US)

Kevin Painter (Eng, 18) v Brendan Dolan (NI)

Terry Jenkins (Eng, 7) v Joe Cullen (Eng)

Jelle Klaasen (Ned, 26) v Steve Brown (Eng)

Mark Walsh (Eng, 10) v Justin Pipe (Eng)

Alan Tabern (Eng, 23) v Richie Burnett (Wal)

Mervyn King (Eng, 6) v Caris/Burger

Andy Smith (Eng, 27) v Shane Tichowitsch (Aus)

Gary Anderson (Sco, 11) v Padgett/Hashimoto

Dennis Priestley (Eng, 22) v Bernd Roith (Ger)

Raymond van Barneveld (Ned, 3) v Steve Hine (Eng)

Barrie Bates (Wal, 30) v Kevin McDine (Eng)

Colin Osborne (Eng, 14) v Chris Thompson (Eng)

Jamie Caven (Eng, 19) v Petersen/Madhoo

PRELIMINARY ROUND

Magnus Caris (Swe) v Dietmar Burger (Aut)

Devon Petersen (SA) v Norman Madhoo (Guy)

Gary Mawson (US) v Juanito Gionzon (Phi)

Michael Mansell (NI) v Preston Ridd (NZ)

Roland Scholten (Ned) v Veijo Viinikka (Fin)

Jyhan Artut (Ger) v Scott MacKenzie (HK)

Per Laursen (Den) v Boris Krcmar (Cro)

Matt Padgett (Eng) v Morihiro Hashimoto (Jpn)

ReputationRep:
    I don't think Taylor comes into this at the same level he has in the past, so he is there for the taking (by his standards).

I think Stompe has been playing really well lately and he could have a good run, but assuming you've listed the draw in order (which would be the only sensible thing to do) then he would more than likely have to play Taylor in the third round.

It's amazing to see the draw and see just how many good players there are in the game these days. All of the seeds are very good, if not great, players and some of the others are no pushovers, like Shcolten and Roy.
    • TSR Support Team

Taylor was awful tonight despite his 3-0 win, he missed so many doubles. Shock of the night was Steve Beaton losing 3-2. Webester beat Maish 3-1 while Nicholson was booed the whole night despite his 3-0 win.

(Original post by Rock Fan)
      Taylor was awful tonight despite his 3-0 win, he missed so many doubles. Shock of the night was Steve Beaton losing 3-2. Webester beat Maish 3-1 while Nicholson was booed the whole night despite his 3-0 win.
      Which is the usual, this year I think is a real chance for Taylor to get beat - with him after the World Sporting Record this year.

- anyhow thoughts on Lloyd?

And OP - you could alter that with the 10 results in so far

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by TheMagicRat)
      I don't think Taylor comes into this at the same level he has in the past, so he is there for the taking (by his standards).

I think Stompe has been playing really well lately and he could have a good run, but assuming you've listed the draw in order (which would be the only sensible thing to do) then he would more than likely have to play Taylor in the third round.

It's amazing to see the draw and see just how many good players there are in the game these days. All of the seeds are very good, if not great, players and some of the others are no pushovers, like Shcolten and Roy.
      Erm...Yeah, I know what I'm on about.

(Original post by Matthew_Lowson)
      Which is the usual, this year I think is a real chance for Taylor to get beat - with him after the World Sporting Record this year.

- anyhow thoughts on Lloyd?

And OP - you could alter that with the 10 results in so far
      He did come back well and towards the end he was playing some pretty good darts. Same old problem of consistency with him though. I think set play suits him better because you can have a dip in play and not be totally out of it.

I did love the banter between him and the crowd though. They did give him some stick, but fair play to him for taking it well and giving a bit back.

ReputationRep:
      The drunk idiot should have been defaulted for that
      • TSR Support Team

I heard Lloyd went a bit mad during the game haha, I seem to remember though Phil Taylor had a bit of a dodgy start last year, I reckon he is luring the competitors into a false sense of hope.
      • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
      I heard Lloyd went a bit mad during the game haha, I seem to remember though Phil Taylor had a bit of a dodgy start last year, I reckon he is luring the competitors into a false sense of hope.
      I was watching the highlights on SSN as i was out last night and i couldn't believe what i saw, shame on you Jaws. How did the crowd react to him?

I'm not so sure on Taylor this year. Wouldn't be suprised if we saw another 2008 style final.
      • TSR Support Team

(Original post by sr90)
      I was watching the highlights on SSN as i was out last night and i couldn't believe what i saw, shame on you Jaws. How did the crowd react to him?

I'm not so sure on Taylor this year. Wouldn't be suprised if we saw another 2008 style final.
      Apparantly the crowd weren't impressed.

ReputationRep:
      Jelle Klassen <3
      • TSR Support Team

The Americans don't seem to be very good at darts, one of them just got bounced out 3-0 tonight. John Part seems to be struggling as well.

Its on the way down, the Americans did really well when the PDC was set up and Mawson recently made the UK Open final - that said, for Mawson the draw wasnt that kind - but Young was hopeless.

Part looked bad, - so ill, but the Dane had to do a job on him, and he seemed really pleased with the result.
        • TSR Support Team

Part was knocked out to another American couple years ago but tonight he didn't at all well but still it is a great result for Per Laursen who gets Phil Taylor next (who was runner up tonight in Sports Personality). I agree though Young looked total rubbish.

Part was knocked out to another American couple years ago but tonight he didn't at all well but still it is a great result for Per Laursen who gets Phil Taylor next (who was runner up tonight in Sports Personality). I agree though Young looked total rubbish.
          I remember that, and like tonight, the set scoreline can tell a different story - in matchplay it would have been 9-5 to Per, comprehensive no doubt but 3-0 doesnt tell the whole story, like when he lost to Davis, the thing for Part is now he's got to build up the money and form he had previously - the WC money loss in 2010 is the reason he was 32nd seed anyway.

Pretty much going by the form book, 14 of 16 seeds safely through
          • TSR Support Team

Trouble is he seems to be in a bit of a rut lately anyway losing against people he would normally brush aside, I just hope he is not in terminal decline.
          • TSR Support Team

Another shock tonight Kevin 'The Artist' Painter knocked out by Brendan Dolan, James Wade is looking very impressive.

Another shock tonight Kevin 'The Artist' Painter knocked out by Brendan Dolan, James Wade is looking very impressive.
            Dolan looked really solid, and to be honest, he hasnt the most difficult draw in round two - I'd fancy Dolan to win that match. Wade was always the likely winner - he wasnt going to let Alcinas beat him a second time. Though being honest 3-0 in sets was a little harsh on Alcinas, had he played anyone else he would have had more of a chance.

Ovens looked decent enough, raised his game when he needed to
            • TSR Support Team

(Original post by Matthew_Lowson)
            Dolan looked really solid, and to be honest, he hasnt the most difficult draw in round two - I'd fancy Dolan to win that match. Wade was always the likely winner - he wasnt going to let Alcinas beat him a second time. Though being honest 3-0 in sets was a little harsh on Alcinas, had he played anyone else he would have had more of a chance.

Ovens looked decent enough, raised his game when he needed to
            Wade was on fire last night, as long as he doesn't go to sleep during matches he will give Taylor a hard time. Can't believe the amount of missed doubles between Richie Burnett and Alan Tabern. Ovens I think did really well considering he wasn't very well, he only lives a few miles from me.

Looking forward to tonight now when we have three Dutchmen playing.
            • TSR Support Team

What a brilliant match between Terry Jenkins and Joe Cullen (who will surely be a star in the future) he's already beaten Phil Taylor on the PDC tour this year.
            Two dutchmen have gone, Klassen and Van Guerwen, neither of them played well, however no messing about from Van Der Voort. Tomorrow it's the last dutch man Raymond Barneveld.

On a side note it was so funny when they had Andrerw Flintoff in the commentary box with Sid Waddell

ReputationRep:
            What a brilliant match between Terry Jenkins and Joe Cullen (who will surely be a star in the future) he's already beaten Phil Taylor on the PDC tour this year.
            Two dutchmen have gone, Klassen and Van Guerwen, neither of them played well, however no messing about from Van Der Voort. Tomorrow it's the last dutch man Raymond Barneveld.

On a side note it was so funny when they had Andrerw Flintoff in the commentary box with Sid Waddell
            I've never seen John Gwynne and Sid Waddell be silenced like they were when Flintoff took over the commentary box, it was a great effort. It's been a very poor showing by the Dutchmen so far, I fancied Stompe to have another good run in the tournament, and for me Stompe's loss is the shock of the tournament so far.

Wayne Jones is looking like doing some damage, he's been very impressive this year, performing well in almost every major so far, and it's been nice to see him transfer his floor game to the stage this year. I can't wait for round two to begin, watch out for Gary Anderson this year.

Submit reply
          TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 7, 2011
        • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
          What newspaper do you read/prefer?
          Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
        • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
          Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.