Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm in my second year of college and will be starting training with the Royal Navy in 2011 to become an Officer. I stand to receive £3000 (£1000 per term at college doing my A levels) and I plan to spend most of it as I don't need to save! (I'll be on a wage come Sept with VERY little to spend it on and will receive a lump sum of £5000 when I pass out of training).

I've currently only been going out with my girlfriend for two months, so bare in mind these plans will be around the summer time when we've been going out longer.

Anyway, because I'm joining the Navy and my girlfriend is going to Uni, I realise that some strain will be put on our relationship. Obviously we will do whatever we can to get through it, but the fact remains that free time is VERY limited for me and there will be little time for me to visit her and I really don't want her to be lonely without me at Uni.

So, what I have started thinking about is using some of my money to have a REALLY special weekend with her before I leave - something we will remember for the rest of our lives no matter if we stay together or not.
    I've been thinking about going up to London, perhaps seeing a musical (she loves musicals) and having a romantic meal and subsequently night at The Ritz, or other luxurious hotel.

The price really doesn't bother me. I am very financially secure (I save well, contrary to this post lol) and as I said above, I've got a guaranteed job. The thing that worries me is that it would be too much - too intense for her. Most married couples have not done anything like this and by then, we'd only have been going out for around 9 months.

Do you reckon this is a nice idea, or should I not bother?
    Before anyone says - obviously I am assuming we will still be together. In fact, I'm very confident we will be.

Sorry for the essay

Probably the wrong time to post this on H&R... All the freaks who constantly watch it are nocturnal.

ReputationRep:
    I don't mean to rain on your parade, but most long-term couples have had a romantic weekend away or something similar. What you're suggesting is romantic, yes, but it's nothing novel. I don't see how it might be too much if you'll have been together 9 months by then. You say you're confident you'll still be together, but be realistic. You might not be by then. Therefore it's a bit of a risk to be investing all this money at such an early stage in the relationship. Also, if you plan this far in advance and to minute detail, it's highly likely it won't live up to your expectations. I say focus on the here and now; romantic weekends aren't the be all and end all of romance.

ReputationRep:
    do eeet! I think she'd love it, it's not too much if she understands why you're doing it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Climbontoyourseahorse)
    I don't mean to rain on your parade, but most long-term couples have had a romantic weekend away or something similar. What you're suggesting is romantic, yes, but it's nothing novel. I don't see how it might be too much if you'll have been together 9 months by then. You say you're confident you'll still be together, but be realistic. You might not be by then. Therefore it's a bit of a risk to be investing all this money at such an early stage in the relationship. Also, if you plan this far in advance and to minute detail, it's highly likely it won't live up to your expectations. I say focus on the here and now; romantic weekends aren't the be all and end all of romance.
    Oh, I'm not booking it lol - that would be stupid :p:

I've just had the idea and thought I'd see if I was being stupid or not

Obviously all long term couples have had romantic weekend(s) away, I didn't mean to say that they hadn't - What I meant was, not many have been to The Ritz for one. I just don't want to be too OTT with it (it seems perfectly fine to me) hence why I'm asking for other's opinions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blutarsky)
    Oh, I'm not booking it lol - that would be stupid :p:

I've just had the idea and thought I'd see if I was being stupid or not

Obviously all long term couples have had romantic weekend(s) away, I didn't mean to say that they hadn't - What I meant was, not many have been to The Ritz for one. I just don't want to be too OTT with it (it seems perfectly fine to me) hence why I'm asking for other's opinions
    Ok... Anon fail. Don't really know why I was anon in the first place

ReputationRep:
    Bump :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    I think you should do it, it could be really great and become one of your favourite memorys. What have you got to lose? (Aside from money?)

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 16, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.