Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Favourite guitarists and why Watch

ReputationRep:
    My all time fave guitarist is Tony Iommi from Black sabbath. He is simply the master of the riff, there are more good riffs on one side of a black sabbath album than most bands will write in their entire career. Not only can he write some of the most evil riffs ever (Slayer aside) but he is an incredible lead guitatist too. I think the song Turn up the night show cases both sides of his guitar playing, as does Heaven and Hell. My favourite black sabbath song is megalomania, 9 minutes of non stop epicness. This band also started an entire genre singlehandedly, and are possibly one of the most influential artists of all time, other than the Beatles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYzI5vKexS8 - turn up the night
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN5UW-PXXME - megalomania

Ritchie Blackmore - Deep Purple/Rainbow. While most of his riffs are incredibly simple and easy even for someone who can't play guitar to play, he is simply THE best lead guitarist there is without any doubt. I can't even describe it, but listen to child in time by deep purple, or any live version of catch the rainbow by rainbow. His guitar playing is so beautiful and mesmerising. Unlike a lot of modern bands that assume that good lead guitar is playing really fast and just a load of self abuse on guitar lol.

This video should be mandatory viewing for anyone who ever wants to pick up the guitar. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg4yWdJNaOI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nbt8_j09e50&NR=1 (the songs 2 parts) or sing, I have never heard a more heartfelt vocal performance than on this song, (Freddie Mercury on these are the days of our lives and the show must go on aside)

I am bored of writing now, but other fantastic ones are:
    Victor Santura from Dark Fortress
    Ihsahn from Emperor
    Chuch Schuldiner from Death
    Blasphemer, ex mayhem
    Brian Tatler from Diamond Head
    Jimmy Page from Led Zeppelin.

Probably my favourites, what about everyone else?

PS - listen to the mother****ing song. Both parts - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg4yWdJNaOI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nbt8_j09e50&NR=1

ReputationRep:
    Brian Tatler is good.

I enjoy Buckethead, Carlos Santana and Ted Nugent as well though.

This is among my favourite guitar songs of all time, so mellow.

ReputationRep:
    Matt Bellamy. Just because he is a beast of a man. Possibly even a god. Will have to look into this...

ReputationRep:
    Eddie Van Halen and Jimmy Page are Gods amoung men.

ReputationRep:
    Not good with names but I have to say my favourite guitarists are:

Buckethead - his compositions are always so different but they're all very soothing and melodic. Also love his modesty.

Andy McKee - never heard an acoustic sound so... full. Possibly one of the best known acoustic players IMO.

ReputationRep:
    Steve Vai - Not only good at guitar but also an incredible musician.

EVH - I love his fills at random intervals. He popularised obscure techniques, and possibly pioneered others!

Eric Johnson - Bit of a cliché since Cliffs of Dover, but I have his albums, and his use of pentatonic scales is INCREDIBLE. His solos go on for ages and are just truly brilliant.
    He can seemingly take a pentatonic scale and make 5 minutes of guitar solo, without repeating himself.

ReputationRep:
    Does this really need to be asked?

edit: oh, favourite.

ReputationRep:
    Megalomania is one of my favourite songs atm. :thrasher:

John Petrucci - Timing :adore:
    Jeff Beck - Makes his guitar sing. Incredible.
    Dimebag - Killer solos.

others: Blackmore, EVH, Cantrell

ReputationRep:
    David Gilmour. Plays the guitar like few people can. I keep saying it but Echoes is just musical perfection.

On the acoustic side of things, Tommy Emmanuel and Andy McKee are right up there. Seeing them both live together was something special.

ReputationRep:
    john lennon

ReputationRep:
    Slash.

Because.. let's be honest he has style.

ReputationRep:
    Jonny Greenwood (Radiohead). Legend!

ReputationRep:
    Johnny Marr - The Smiths. His jangle is orgasmic. He makes the guitar sing. I beg you to listen to Barbarism Begins at Home. That juxtposition between Morrissey's wailing voice and Marr's jangly happiness is sublime.

ReputationRep:
    Not heard of some of those guitarists before. Definitely going to search them.

ReputationRep:
    My favourite would have to be Omar Rodriguez-Lopez; there aren't many more technically able or creative players out there IMO (maybe apart from Buckethead, but I'm a Mars Volta fanboy )

ReputationRep:
    Chuck Schuldiner, Jeff Loomis, Jason Becker, Dimebag and Muhammad Suicmez because their riffs and solos are outstanding. Guthrie Govan wins for best allrounder.

ReputationRep:
    JACK JOHNSON

Not the most skilled guitarist ever but his layed back attitude makes me instantly forget about all my worrys. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4O7u...eature=channel

ReputationRep:
    Kirk Hammett, because he's worth it!

ReputationRep:
    It's a tough one, there's been at least 10 mentioned already on the first page that I could easily say are my favourite and not be lying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metalthrashin'mad)
    My all time fave guitarist is Tony Iommi from Black sabbath. He is simply the master of the riff
    Let's be honest, Dimebag is master of the riff.

But my favourites, besides him.

Jeff Loomis (Nevermore) - I love him for his solo album, Zero Order Phase

AJ Minette (The Human Abstract) is just amazing. The intro to Vela, Together We Await The Storm and the solo for Mea Culpa are amazing. And generally his riffs and solos are flawless.

I equally love Thomas Youngblood (Kamelot) and Gus G. (Firewind) for their amazing power metal riffs and solos. Plus they are so good live. Leon Kemp (Anterior) churns out one epic solo after another, especially in Seraph plus the breakdown in The Silent Divide is awesome. And finally Ettore Rigotti (Disarmonia Mundi), even though he doesn't do live shows, he comes up with some of the best melodeath riffs since ****ing Jester Race.

Also my favourite acoustic guitarist is J. Loren Wince (HURT). Oh my, he's good.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.