Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've just got a PS3 today, with GT5.

I received the console at about 1130am and played GT5 for about 15mins. The rest of the time has been occupied by doing system updates and installs.

I bought Little Big Planet, so after getting fed up with GT5 I though I would put it in the console to just install it. I've started up the game and it's telling me that it has to do an update. Fair enough I think - but there are 13 of them!

I'm on update 6 at the moment but so far have downloaded approx 450MB in updates! That's crazy. Am I actually getting some extra content or something? GT5 needed a 120mb 'update' before I played it.

Just wondering, is this what I am about to endure as a PS3 owner? Are future games going to require loads more updates and stuff before I can play them? I can guess it might not be too bad when you're on a relatively fast internet connection, with lots of bandwith but at the moment I have a good gaming connection (which I pay more for) but it doesn't have lots of monthly bandwith. Updates on xbox before have never been over 50MB, with the exception of dashboard updates.

I know this may come across as a flaming thread, but seriously, this is a truely awful first experience, and I wonder if I'm missing something fundamental.

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Updates are released to enhance the gaming experience.
    Are you complaining about that!?

ReputationRep:
    Nope, that is part of the PS3 "experience", you'll also get mandatory firmware updates every 2 weeks aswell. Microsoft limit the size of patches, but Sony don't, so therein lies much of the problem. You will probably get extra content in some of the bigger downloads though. FYI I'm pretty sure the "move controller update" for Heavy Rain was over 1GB, so maybe you have that to look forward too aswell :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by killa78)
    Updates are released to enhance the gaming experience.
    Are you complaining about that!?
    It is creating an increased attitude of "we know there are problems with our games, but we'll release it anyway as we can always patch it later". Skimping on quality control is not a problem to you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rich2606)
    It is creating an increased attitude of "we know there are problems with our games, but we'll release it anyway as we can always patch it later". Skimping on quality control is not a problem to you?
    Noppeeee
    Tbf I dont notice most of the problems the patches refer to but I notice subtle differences in gameplay that do make it better.
    If they charged me for the updates, I would have a problem with them, but otherwise no.
    The fact that they continue to support games in order to increase utility gained by the consumer is a big plus!

I'm pretty sure that Xbox games receive the same patches as well?
    Although not too sure...

In the case of LBP, I can understand the updates because its been out for a while and content has been added!
    GT5 however, was apparently rushed, so updates will continue to come out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by killa78)
    Noppeeee
    Tbf I dont notice most of the problems the patches refer to but I notice subtle differences in gameplay that do make it better.
    If they charged me for the updates, I would have a problem with them, but otherwise no.
    The fact that they continue to support games in order to increase utility gained by the consumer is a big plus!

I'm pretty sure that Xbox games receive the same patches as well?
    Although not too sure...

In the case of LBP, I can understand the updates because its been out for a while and content has been added!
    GT5 however, was apparently rushed, so updates will continue to come out.
    Yeah, Xbox has updates. But you'll get a game update that's never bigger than 10MB unless they need to patch something major with the game.

I have absolutely nothing wrong with them patching games, and would always welcome it. The thing with Xbox (and everything I can think of) is that you would just get the 'latest' update and not have to download 13 overly sized ones!

Take an iPhone for example, if you don't update to the latest FW and then a new one is released, you just get the new one. You don't have to download one, and then the next one until you get to the latest FW version.

I have heard that Plus downloads these updates for you but is there anyway that they can be scheduled? i.e. I would not mind having the console take an update at 3am when I'm not going to be using it rather than during the day when my bandwith is monitored.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skribla)
    Yeah, Xbox has updates. But you'll get a game update that's never bigger than 10MB unless they need to patch something major with the game.

I have absolutely nothing wrong with them patching games, and would always welcome it. The thing with Xbox (and everything I can think of) is that you would just get the 'latest' update and not have to download 13 overly sized ones!

Take an iPhone for example, if you don't update to the latest FW and then a new one is released, you just get the new one. You don't have to download one, and then the next one until you get to the latest FW version.

I have heard that Plus downloads these updates for you but is there anyway that they can be scheduled? i.e. I would not mind having the console take an update at 3am when I'm not going to be using it rather than during the day when my bandwith is monitored.
    Aha fair enough
    I dont have that problem so dont mind updates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skribla)

Sorry to hear your experience hasn't been great.

Yeah Playstation PLus you can schedule when you want your console to switch on.
    Personally I don't have any problem with any of the updates if it makes my experience better.

ReputationRep:
    It gets on every ones tits.

ReputationRep:
    Nah, it's just because it's new. Installing data is a pain, but it makes it run better... and most games don't ask you to do it.

those aren't big files. Get better internet :yy:. On half decent internet a 150mb update should take at most a couple of minutes... as you should be getting your full download rate for those sort of things.

(Original post by karateworm)
        Nah, it's just because it's new. Installing data is a pain, but it makes it run better... and most games don't ask you to do it.
        This is also a point: disconnect your PS3 from the internet and it won't need to update. Games autodetect a connection and find updates then automatically download them... no conection, no update, straight into the game. Of course, th game will have any bugs that that update patched... and you wont be able to play online... and you might still need to get Sony's updates to play new releases...

.......just get better internets :yy:

ReputationRep:
        LBP is an old game and so it does have alot of updates...most games release smaller updates though so don't worry too much

ReputationRep:
        In my experience, PS3's had much bigger patches than the xbox, and seems to be a lot more frequent, but none should take anywhere near as long as LBP.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
      Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.