Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in my first year of a Biochemistry degree and I'm pretty certain that I want to go into postgrad study afterwards , if I'm good enough I'll try and get into a PhD course instead of doing a Masters first but I have a few questions

When is the best time to apply? I'm not talking about at times during a year since universities have different starting points. What I mean is at what point in my undergrad studies should I apply? Would it be possible to apply during the final year and treat it the same way as the transition from A-levels to undergrad? Or would it be best to get some more experience to help with the application first by taking a year or more out? I'm aiming to get an industrial placement but that may not be enough.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Bump

Yes it is possible to apply towards the end of your final year, your applications will be accepted as long as you have a good academic record from previous years and predicted at least a 2:1 degree. You have to convince the person that is interviewing you that you can do what you promise and this is really difficult especially without holding a degree yet. Now it is too early to be thinking about postgraduate study. In the next years you will see what modules you like the most (and being good in) and this will help you decide the direction of your postgraduate degree. The only problem is that applying without a Masters (some nowadays require MRes) might make it more difficult for you to get some funding and studentships from the Research Council. Usually you need a 2:1 first degree or a 2:2 with a Masters. As I've said it is too early to be thinking about this at the moment, concentrate on your degree because it is impossible at this stage to know what your academic strengths are, the first year at university is a piece of cake compared to the 2nd and final years.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.