Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Making appointments with GPs. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Why are the opening times for the surgery so small?

They're open about 6 hours a day. But the trouble you have to go through to get an appointment! There's a 10 minute window to book your appointment, if you miss it too bad.

People will be standing outside the surgery 50 mins before it opens to get one, and today I tried to book over the phone since it was so cold. I rang at 3.35pm on the dot. Busy. Then redialed every couple of moments to then get answered and find out that all the appointments are gone. This was at 3.42pm. I really need to get my prescription before the weekend. Since surprise surprise they don't open on weekends.

I assume that they are busy doctors filling every working hour with love and care but couldn't they increase 1on1 patient doctor time?

ReputationRep:
    Have the same problem where I live, you have to ring up at 8.30am otherwise theres no chance of getting any appointments unless you get lucky and some one randomly cancels.

It's very stupid when you have a minor problem that could easily be sorted and sometimes you're forced to go into A & E at the Hospital so you get seen.

ReputationRep:
    My GP surgery is really good, I book all my appointments online so its really handy. They open at 7am and close at 6pm most days too.

Is it just a repeat prescription you want? If so they might be able to do it for you if you ask, they've done them for me in the past.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tbm)
    My GP surgery is really good, I book all my appointments online so its really handy. They open at 7am and close at 6pm most days too.

Is it just a repeat prescription you want? If so they might be able to do it for you if you ask, they've done them for me in the past.
    That sounds really good!

Well I need a repeat prescription because I lost my old one, but I also need another prescription.

Annoying this is that their opening times are at the same times as my college lessons.

(Original post by CoffeeStinks)
      Why are the opening times for the surgery so small?

They're open about 6 hours a day. But the trouble you have to go through to get an appointment! There's a 10 minute window to book your appointment, if you miss it too bad.

People will be standing outside the surgery 50 mins before it opens to get one, and today I tried to book over the phone since it was so cold. I rang at 3.35pm on the dot. Busy. Then redialed every couple of moments to then get answered and find out that all the appointments are gone. This was at 3.42pm. I really need to get my prescription before the weekend. Since surprise surprise they don't open on weekends.

I assume that they are busy doctors filling every working hour with love and care but couldn't they increase 1on1 patient doctor time?
      For every 7 minutes you spend in the GP theres another 2 or 3 minutes work they have to do (write up notes, send referrals etc) per patient. Not to mention she loads of daily letters, home visits, repeat prescriptions (many GPs have a facility where you put your repeat prescription in and they then authorise it for another prescription)

So whilst a GP may only have surgery hours between 8 and 5 with an hour long lunch break you can bet your bum when you walk by at 7am they will be already there, and when you walk past at 8pm they will still be there.

ReputationRep:
      That sounds really good!

Well I need a repeat prescription because I lost my old one, but I also need another prescription.

Annoying this is that their opening times are at the same times as my college lessons.
      Are you able to do it online?
      I only just found out recently my surgery had been dong repeat prescriptions online for ages. Dead handy

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by chemical_bex)
      Are you able to do it online?
      I only just found out recently my surgery had been dong repeat prescriptions online for ages. Dead handy
      Ooh yeah it does. But I still need to see them to get one of my other creams that can't be put on repeat.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
      I turned up for my appointment to be told that they are sorry for not informing me that my doctor called in sick and i had to kick up a real fuss by saying i had waited for 4 weeks for this appointment and really really needed to see someone to get to see a doctor and then other patients got really arsey cos there were so many people waiting.

ReputationRep:
      Ooh yeah it does. But I still need to see them to get one of my other creams that can't be put on repeat.

Thanks.
      You could always ask for an emergency appointment if it can't wait?

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 16, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.