Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Central/Eastern Europe trip 2011 - advice needed ! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,
    Im planning on going to Europe next September/October using the 1 month continuous interrail ticket, it will be the first time for me to travel that long, and on my own

My current route is to fly to munich, then begin interailing, --> prague -->Vienna --> Bratislava --> Budapest --> Zagreb --> Ljubljana --> Venice --> Milan--> Zurich, and fly back from Zurich

What do people think of this? are there too many destinations to try and cover in 30-35 days?
    Also, can you recommed any other places that are must sees along this kind of route?
    All tips and advice appreciated

ReputationRep:
    I'd definitely recommend Berlin - it's an incredible city to explore , I'd also mention Krakow in southern Poland. In fact, you could start in Berlin, take an overnight train to krakow and then easily work your way to the rest of your destinations. The consensus I got on Zagreb was that it was fairly unimpressive but Split on the western coast was raved about. My personal view of Vienna was a lot of grandeur but not particularly a great interrail destination - perhaps Salzburg instead? You could proabably do this trip on the 10 in 21 day interrail pass, it's not as if you'll be using the pass everyday seeing as you will be spending 2/3 nights per city.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the guy above, Berlin and definiately Krakow. After all, you can't get more central in Europe than Poland

ReputationRep:
    The interrail pass is usually overpriced. Unless you particularly do not want to plan, it's better to buy tickets in advance & travel that way. This way of doing things in Europe is A LOT cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    I visited Krakow last October and loved it ! its a beautiful place not sure if i want to go back on this occasion though, but definatly will in the future. How safe are overnight trains? Have any of you been to Dubrovnik? the pictures ive seen of it are stunning, would it be worth visiting there if i did go to Split instead of Zagreb?
    Also, with the 10 in 21 interrail pass, does it mean that i can only travel using the interrail pass for 21 days max?
    one last question, how much money would you think i would need for the month or so? to live comfortably i mean?
    Thank you for the advice guys

ReputationRep:
    Can't comment on the interrail tips, but I agree with the above that Vienna is pretty poor. Definitely wouldn't spend more than a day there tbh, we had a three day trip there and had exhausted all possibilities well before our time was up.

Prague is awesome though :moon:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RachelLouiseMorgan)
    Hi Guys,
    Im planning on going to Europe next September/October using the 1 month continuous interrail ticket, it will be the first time for me to travel that long, and on my own

My current route is to fly to munich, then begin interailing, --> prague -->Vienna --> Bratislava --> Budapest --> Zagreb --> Ljubljana --> Venice --> Milan--> Zurich, and fly back from Zurich

What do people think of this? are there too many destinations to try and cover in 30-35 days?
    Also, can you recommed any other places that are must sees along this kind of route?
    All tips and advice appreciated
    thats not too much for 35 days - my brother did about 15/20 destinations in 30 days. you've got some good cities - but definitly try and fit in Krakow - southern poland. Absolutely beautiful city (have stayed with family in Poland many a time, and Krakow is definitly the best out of Polish cities, IMO.) If you go, go towards june/july rather than late august, much more going on then (from when I've been...) but if you go in august, visit the pierogi festival! it's awesome and theres free pierogi. Any questions about krakow, feel free to ask.

ReputationRep:
    Applemilk1992: How did you stay with a polish family? did you know them or were they a host family? i would like to stay with some host families along the way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    The interrail pass is usually overpriced. Unless you particularly do not want to plan, it's better to buy tickets in advance & travel that way. This way of doing things in Europe is A LOT cheaper.
    This. Even if you do want to do things on the spur of the moment, if you're spending most of your time in Eastern Europe, I still think it's just cheaper to buy tickets as you go along, particularly due to the reservation and sleeper train-related charges on a lot of trains. I also went on some routes that were privately owned and therefore interrail tickets wouldn't have been valid anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Dubrovnik, or how ever you spell it, is in souther Croatia, its really hard to get there, and theres no trains, so you have to get a coach, or ferry, either way its costing you alot more and its quite far out of your way. I tried to do it in the summer bit it didnt happen.

You definately dont have too many places on there, I did 13 in 38 nights I think, inc. budapest, lubljana, krakow, berlin, prague. I recommend you go to Lake Bled, in Slovenia, its pretty epic, although the weather wont be as nice when you go I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RachelLouiseMorgan)
    Applemilk1992: How did you stay with a polish family? did you know them or were they a host family? i would like to stay with some host families along the way
    You could try couchsurfing

ReputationRep:
    If you go to venice I would recommend 'a venice fish' hostel, it's not high quality accommodation but it's run by other 'travellers' and it's great for meeting people because they give you evening meals where everyone sits round a table then take you on a pub crawl (which was 1 pub but was still mint)

If you're in ljubljana you should go to lake bled if you like nice views as it's a beast and is only about an hour away by train

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Radekal)
    I agree with the guy above, Berlin and definiately Krakow. After all, you can't get more central in Europe than Poland
    Sure you can, try Slovakia sometimes :P

ReputationRep:
    Budapest is amazing!! It's so beautiful and really interesting! I love that city!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 22, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.