Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What's the best Afro/Black male hairstyle in your opinion? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of changing my hair within the next few weeks. At the moment I just have an afro (been growing it out just under two years) and i'm getting really bored with it and want to do something different.

BUUUT, I want a style that would cover up my forehead. It's giant and I really hate it, people tease/diss me for it from time to time so I was thinking something that could cover it up slightly.

Maybe something like this? Your thoughts? I wouldnt mind straightening my hair btw, I think it looks cool for black guys.

ReputationRep:
    If you'r black then please don't straighten your hair :erm:

This should help with your forehead issue:

:teehee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by In2deep)
    but it looks cool

and that afro kinda looks fake...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBlackMonster)
    but it looks cool

It doesn't look, cool it just looks like you have identity issues. I would say the best style is a low fade. Are you full black or mixed race btw? Because unless you are mixed race I doubt you can even come close to pulling of straigtened hair.

ReputationRep:
    I saw a black guy with straightened hair on TV, it took me a few seconds to work out what was strange about him but then I was :rofl:ing.

ReputationRep:
    Wear a headband?

I like mine clean shaven or semi-afro, had it like that all my life, so can't suggest many styles.

ReputationRep:
    I can only really think of a mohican .. not a really big one .. just average size, with a simple border and shape up .. it wont make your forehead smaller but it wont get as much attention as the mohican diverts that. I've seen alot of black boys with mohicans and it looks good.

- And also i agree with the guy above, i dont really think straightened hair on a black guy would really suit .. it depends tho. The dude in the pic gets away with it .. but it doesnt look good, just odd. sorry

ReputationRep:
    but it looks cool

Keep it simple

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of changing my hair within the next few weeks. At the moment I just have an afro (been growing it out just under two years) and i'm getting really bored with it and want to do something different.

BUUUT, I want a style that would cover up my forehead. It's giant and I really hate it, people tease/diss me for it from time to time so I was thinking something that could cover it up slightly.

Maybe something like this? Your thoughts? I wouldnt mind straightening my hair btw, I think it looks cool for black guys.

Imo, short and neat (like Drake or Marvin from JLS - his forehead isn't exactly tiny). I don't like Aston's (also from JLS lol) hair, he blatantly straightens it and it looks odd.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe cornrow the sides and have a quiff or mohawk with the rest of it

ReputationRep:
    nah, i'm straight up black. and I was thinking of a fauxhawk actually, but a bigger than usual one...

ok, what about this guy? he looks black and not mixed race.

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by In2deep)

This should help with your forehead issue:

:teehee:
    :rofl::rofl2::rofl3:

Oh I2D, you joker :laugh:

Wish I could rep you for that.

ReputationRep:
    You want to end up looking like this?

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CombineHarvester)
    I saw a black guy with straightened hair on TV, it took me a few seconds to work out what was strange about him but then I was :rofl:ing.
    Would you say there is a difference though between a black person such as I to straighten my hair as opposed to an Asian person (I presume) such as your self to cover their hair in gel, which is typically a western style. :holmes:

(Original post by CombineHarvester)
    :indiff:
    BTW: I do not straighten my hair, I was merely posing a question.

ReputationRep:
    None, black hairstyles are awful, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Entity)
    None, black hairstyles are awful, sorry.

this

sheep hair

ReputationRep:
    http://memegenerator.net/Inception/I...E-ALL-THE-RAGE

and dude about the straightening hair thing, if you really want but just visualise yourself and how you'll look, be reasonable with and make sure you don't look too ridiculous

Black guys can pull off straight hair. Yes. Try it if you're sure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Facticity)
    Would you say there is a difference though between a black person such as I to straighten my hair as opposed to an Asian person (I presume) such as your self to cover their hair in gel, which is typically a western style. :holmes:
    "asian" and "white" people have t the same texture of hair so would apply the same hair products... People of african/caribbean origin have a different texture of hair so apply different products to their hair..... Nothing to do with race/culture, but rather texture of the hair......

nothing wrong with straightening your hair.... depends how "frizzy" the hair is and if it suits the individual...

ReputationRep:

looks good if you're mixed race...... if not you might end up looking like one of those black american pimps.....

ReputationRep:
    Don't get any of those moist hairstyles that have been posted before

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 3, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.