The Student Room Group

Cambridge 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2720
So happy for my friend who managed to get in. He got S and 2 in step but his offer was 1 and 1, so he got pooled. He got fished out by Sidney Sussex so is going to Cambridge after all :biggrin:
Original post by Zoedotdot
Is that the one that was inspired by some kind of Japanese partnership with Pembroke? Or am i totally making it up? I went to Pembroke on the MML open day and remember some kind of Japanese inspiration story... It looks nice anyway :smile: All my memories of Pembroke are sort of blurry because the last time I was there was for the May Ball, and I spent most of that eating, drinking or on the dodgems :p: The big downside to Emma accommodation is the lack of decent cooking facilities - my room has a little kitchenette next year, but it only has a sink and a microwave, not so good.

:sexface: :mmm:

Better than my recent memories of the place! Mine all revolve around the insane amount of litter on the floor and really hating the dodgem users because of the amount of litter by there :wink:
Reply 2722
Original post by gethsemane342
Better than my recent memories of the place! Mine all revolve around the insane amount of litter on the floor and really hating the dodgem users because of the amount of litter by there :wink:

I can safely say that none of that litter was dropped by me, I had a litter picking job a couple of summers ago and as well as scarring me the experience instilled a need to put all my rubbish in bins to make life easier for the people who have to pick it all up :p:
I can safely say that none of that litter was dropped by me, I had a litter picking job a couple of summers ago and as well as scarring me the experience instilled a need to put all my rubbish in bins to make life easier for the people who have to pick it all up :p:

I (retrospectively) love you :smile:
Reply 2724
Original post by dbou
Thanks, but I had 62 marks in paper II so I was on the boundary! STEP III was supposed to be a fair paper this year, so getting an S in it means you are proper Cambridge S-material. In scotland we split Pure, Mechanics and Statistics into seperate subjects, and you can normally only take two of those. The reason why Scottish students don't take III is that our course places different emphasis on different things (we always have to do our own thing :tongue:) so we don't have the equivalent of a Further Maths a-level. I suppose you know of any Churchill mathmo's?

It's all right for you, I got 61! :tongue: Don't really mind though as long as I have a place...

Scotland like to be different I suppose, do you still get free uni fees if you go to an English University?

And no I'm afraid I don't, I don't even know of any King's mathmo's yet!
Reply 2725
Original post by tobyc
It's all right for you, I got 61! :tongue: Don't really mind though as long as I have a place...

Scotland like to be different I suppose, do you still get free uni fees if you go to an English University?

And no I'm afraid I don't, I don't even know of any King's mathmo's yet!

61?! That's just silly :tongue: Yeah, at the end of the day STEP doesn't really matter after your degree :smile:

Nope, I have to pay £3000 like everyone else. At least its not £9000 though...

It would be so much easier if everyone just went on TSR! Hopefully there might be some Churchill or Maths people at the local party thing :crossedf: You going?

Oh, and aave you got anything through the post yet?
I've been told to send photocopies of my certificates to my college. Will using the photocopy button on my scanner be fine aswell, i'm assuming they want it photocopied by an actual "photocopier" because it cannot be tampered with (as pictures from a scanner can be photoshopped).
Reply 2727
Original post by dbou
61?! That's just silly :tongue: Yeah, at the end of the day STEP doesn't really matter after your degree :smile:

Nope, I have to pay £3000 like everyone else. At least its not £9000 though...

It would be so much easier if everyone just went on TSR! Hopefully there might be some Churchill or Maths people at the local party thing :crossedf: You going?

Oh, and aave you got anything through the post yet?

Ah that's a shame about the fees, but yeah it's the ones after us that have it really bad.

Have you checked facebook at all for anything about Churchill? There's a King's College Freshers group I've found, there could well be a Churchill one too.

I hadn't really thought about those local things yet, I saw it before results and decided not to think about it until I had them. I think I probably will go though, thanks for reminding me about it :tongue:

And no I haven't had anything through the post yet, I was just worrying about that this morning actually. Well I've had the UCAS letter, but nothing from King's.
No, track was frozen until results day so you wouldn't have been able to see anything.

My ensuite room with living room is costing me ~£100pw next year. But Emma is a pretty cheap college in terms of accommodation so I don't know if that's representative. If you have student finance your fees are paid in two instalments - once in October and again around February. I don't know if there is a different pattern for those without tuition fee loans though!

£100 per week is so cheap! By fees I was referring to accomodation fees/rent, as in do you pay the lump sum (say a £1,000 for an ensuite) at the start of term or do you pay it weekly? Also, will my room be rented out to other people during the holidays when I'm not in my room? If this is the case, what do people do with their belongings, do they just leave it there until they come back?

Edit: Do you pay for electricity, water etc separately or is that included in the rent?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2729
Does Emma's accomodation include Electricity and water?
If yes, it's SO much cheaper! :eek:
Reply 2730
I haven't got any letters from the college yet! Why? Will they still send it to me?
Reply 2731
I had no idea about the parents thing - that sounds like it could be pretty fun :smile:

I hope September hurries itself by, absolutely buzzing for October. Cant wait to get there :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2732
Original post by kpatb
Does Emma's accomodation include Electricity and water?
If yes, it's SO much cheaper! :eek:

I might be wrong, but on top of the weekly amount of rent, I'm pretty sure there is a termly charge of ~£150 which is the "contribution to fixed costs", and I'm pretty sure that this and room rent together cover all costs, including internet, water, heating, electricity, insurance etc. I'm pretty sure it also includes the Kitchen Fixed Charge, which most colleges seem to have to subsidise hall food... Either way, accomodation at Emma is pretty cheap! :colondollar:

*Emmawisdom*
Please can you tell me whether I'm hideously wrong, the freshers pack/ECSU website is a bit unclear...
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Groat
To anyone interested why they may have been asked for UMS details, this article has a paragraph at the bottom about how UMS results will be collected from Year 13 offer holders to see how this affects Tripos performance. The data will also be used to see how AS UMS and A2 UMS correlate.

This may have already been answered (I'm sorry for asking again if so!), but with the A2 module UMS scores they ask for after successful results, if you resat a module in June and did better than you did in January, do you need to write down both results or just your best one??

Any help would be much appreciated :biggrin:
Original post by Groat
It's simply for statistical purposes and won't affect you in anyway, shape, or form, so I'd write them both down.

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 2735
Original post by tobyc
Ah that's a shame about the fees, but yeah it's the ones after us that have it really bad.

Have you checked facebook at all for anything about Churchill? There's a King's College Freshers group I've found, there could well be a Churchill one too.

I hadn't really thought about those local things yet, I saw it before results and decided not to think about it until I had them. I think I probably will go though, thanks for reminding me about it :tongue:

And no I haven't had anything through the post yet, I was just worrying about that this morning actually. Well I've had the UCAS letter, but nothing from King's.

I looked but I couldn't find anything apart from a few actual people..

It's fine :tongue: Which one you going to? Mine is Edinburgh and the dresscode is jacket, tie and collar so I don't see how it is 'informal'!

I have got something but I am staying at my girlfriend's (in England) at the minute so I haven't opened it yet. I think there was a workbook for us mathmo's that we have to complete for the 28th. :smile:
Reply 2736
what UMS scores? I haven't been told to send it off. did i miss anything?
Reply 2737
do you guys know how accomodation is assigned. i here the college does it for you. does this mean we have no say as to what type of room we want or how much we want to pay for accomodation?
Original post by shuyg
do you guys know how accomodation is assigned. i here the college does it for you. does this mean we have no say as to what type of room we want or how much we want to pay for accomodation?

Yes, you get a say. :smile:

In terms of the system at Pembroke, everyone is given a form where they have to indicate the order of preference for each of the different accommodation blocks (you're told about the price and facilities of each). You might find that you don't get your first choice so that everyone can be accommodated, even in cases where you wouldn't expect it.

For instance, you're also asked about the maximum you'd be willing to pay for accommodation. Suppose you're like me and you'd prefer to live in the oldest buildings (:colondollar:) - since those rooms are smaller, they're likely to be less expensive. However, you say that you'd be willing to pay up to the cost of the second highest band of accommodation. You might find yourself in a more expensive room lower on your preferences so that someone who can only afford an "old" room can have the one you wanted.

On that basis, it's worth bearing in mind that you can complete the form strategically to improve your chances. I didn't want to live in Foundress Court, the newest accommodation and the most expensive, so I said I wouldn't be willing to pay that much for my room. That way, I knew I couldn't be living in Foundress. :nah:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2739
Original post by Tortious

In terms of the system at Pembroke, everyone is given a form where they have to indicate the order of preference for each of the different accommodation blocks (you're told about the price and facilities of each). You might find that you don't get your first choice so that everyone can be accommodated, even in cases where you wouldn't expect it.

I wish it was like that at Christ's this year -_-
I did NOT want to like in the Typewriter block but this year you only got to tell them your preference of price band and also whether you wanted ensuite or not.

boohoo.
Anyway, I think all accommodation at Cambridge is quite good on the whole, so unless you're really unlucky, most people have nothing to worry about!

Quick Reply

Latest