The Student Room Group

Cambridge 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kpatb
I wish it was like that at Christ's this year -_-
I did NOT want to like in the Typewriter block but this year you only got to tell them your preference of price band and also whether you wanted ensuite or not.

boohoo.
Anyway, I think all accommodation at Cambridge is quite good on the whole, so unless you're really unlucky, most people have nothing to worry about!

Spoiler

:indiff:

Yeah, I won't be complaining about Foundress as much now. On the plus side, if you live in New Court you'll have one of the best rooms in College...since you won't have to look at it! :wink:
Reply 2741
Original post by Tortious

Spoiler

:indiff:

Yeah, I won't be complaining about Foundress as much now. On the plus side, if you live in New Court you'll have one of the best rooms in College...since you won't have to look at it! :wink:

hahaha, actually rooms in the Typewriter Block are quite nice - they're the newest rooms in college, ensuite and good facilities. But as you said, it's probably best because then you wouldnt have to look at it :P
There are so many other nice buildings in Christ's that I just did not want to end up there, and plus the typewriter block's rooms are quite small in comparison to rooms in the rest of the college... That's why I didn't want to be there.

Note: The rest of New Court (like the Z annexe and staircase 4) is actually very nice, both inside and outside. Unfortunately, you often forget the niceness of Z and 4 due to their proximity to the typewriter block :P
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by kpatb
hahaha, actually rooms in the Typewriter Block are quite nice - they're the newest rooms in college, ensuite and good facilities. But as you said, it's probably best because then you wouldnt have to look at it :P
There are so many other nice buildings in Christ's that I just did not want to end up there, and plus the typewriter block's rooms are quite small in comparison to rooms in the rest of the college... That's why I didn't want to be there.

Note: The rest of New Court (like the Z annexe and staircase 4) is actually very nice, both inside and outside. Unfortunately, you often forget the niceness of Z and 4 due to their proximity to the typewriter block :P

Ah well, there's always next year. Hopefully you get lucky with the accommodation ballot! :p:
Reply 2743
Original post by dbou
I looked but I couldn't find anything apart from a few actual people..

It's fine :tongue: Which one you going to? Mine is Edinburgh and the dresscode is jacket, tie and collar so I don't see how it is 'informal'!

I have got something but I am staying at my girlfriend's (in England) at the minute so I haven't opened it yet. I think there was a workbook for us mathmo's that we have to complete for the 28th. :smile:

Oh right well I still haven't got anything, the website makes it sound as if I should get something, so I might leave it a couple more days then ring up if it still hasn't come.

I'd go to the Sevenoaks one if I went, don't like the sound of that dresscode though! I don't like dressing up formally :tongue: Maybe the Sevenoaks one will be a bit more casual?
Reply 2744
Yes, you get a say. :smile:

In terms of the system at Pembroke, everyone is given a form where they have to indicate the order of preference for each of the different accommodation blocks (you're told about the price and facilities of each). You might find that you don't get your first choice so that everyone can be accommodated, even in cases where you wouldn't expect it.

For instance, you're also asked about the maximum you'd be willing to pay for accommodation. Suppose you're like me and you'd prefer to live in the oldest buildings (:colondollar:) - since those rooms are smaller, they're likely to be less expensive. However, you say that you'd be willing to pay up to the cost of the second highest band of accommodation. You might find yourself in a more expensive room lower on your preferences so that someone who can only afford an "old" room can have the one you wanted.

On that basis, it's worth bearing in mind that you can complete the form strategically to improve your chances. I didn't want to live in Foundress Court, the newest accommodation and the most expensive, so I said I wouldn't be willing to pay that much for my room. That way, I knew I couldn't be living in Foundress. :nah:

i think it might be done differently at magdalene college. i was looking through the freshers pack and none of the forms were accomodation related....maybe im just being stupid!
Original post by shuyg
i think it might be done differently at magdalene college. i was looking through the freshers pack and none of the forms were accomodation related....maybe im just being stupid!

Here:

Magdalene College Website
In the first year undergraduates (‘freshers’) are allocated a room near to the centre of College. In order to integrate new College members into College life as quickly as possible, new students are often surrounded by students from several year groups. It is usually possible for first year students to specify a price range that is particularly affordable. In subsequent years, rooms are allocated by a room-ballot system, which takes place in conjunction with the College JCR, in the Lent Term.

I'm not sure why you haven't got a form - it might be worth either asking some other freshers on TSR...

TimmonaPortella
:wavey:

Have you had an accommodation form?

...or phoning/emailing the College to check you're not missing any paperwork. :smile:
Reply 2746
thank Tortious! ill probably give them a call tommorow.
Original post by kpatb
I wish it was like that at Christ's this year -_-
I did NOT want to like in the Typewriter block but this year you only got to tell them your preference of price band and also whether you wanted ensuite or not.

boohoo.
Anyway, I think all accommodation at Cambridge is quite good on the whole, so unless you're really unlucky, most people have nothing to worry about!

You won't necessarily end up in the Typewriter. En-suite rooms are also found in Z Annexe and Staircase 4.

The Typewriter isn't too bad. You have a storage cupboard, a nice kitchen which will actually fit more than 2 people in it (*cough* Z27-Z30 corridor only allows 2 if you like the other person a lot. *cough*) and you can make friends with the other people in your corridor easily. 5 of my best friends got to know each other through living in the same staircase in the Typewriter and we spent a lot of first year evenings just chatting in the corridors (which are surprisingly comfy!) :smile:

You can also fit a surprising amount of people in. We've managed 8 of us before.

Amazingly, I know a guy who liked his room there so much that when he got a first at the end of first year, he chose the same room. Apparently, another guy from our year walked past, saw him at the table and shouted "My God, does that guy EVER leave". He only moved this year on the conditions that I agree to be his neighbour and we don't move from the Typewriter...
Original post by gethsemane342
You won't necessarily end up in the Typewriter. En-suite rooms are also found in Z Annexe and Staircase 4.

The Typewriter isn't too bad. You have a storage cupboard, a nice kitchen which will actually fit more than 2 people in it (*cough* Z27-Z30 corridor only allows 2 if you like the other person a lot. *cough*) and you can make friends with the other people in your corridor easily. 5 of my best friends got to know each other through living in the same staircase in the Typewriter and we spent a lot of first year evenings just chatting in the corridors (which are surprisingly comfy!) :smile:

You can also fit a surprising amount of people in. We've managed 8 of us before.

Amazingly, I know a guy who liked his room there so much that when he got a first at the end of first year, he chose the same room. Apparently, another guy from our year walked past, saw him at the table and shouted "My God, does that guy EVER leave". He only moved this year on the conditions that I agree to be his neighbour and we don't move from the Typewriter...

I wouldn't mind living in the typewriter myself, but would prefer an ensuite (which every room in New Court has?), so the accommodation form actually suits me :smile:. Are most rooms in college in the typewriter? It seems like a much larger space than the other accommodation areas.

I know cooking facilities are limited at Christ's but exactly how limited? Do you just get a microwave and a hob (if that)? Also, would we be able to bring our own things, like a toastie maker, toaster e.t.c.?
Reply 2749
Original post by Ray_Han

I know cooking facilities are limited at Christ's but exactly how limited? Do you just get a microwave and a hob (if that)? Also, would we be able to bring our own things, like a toastie maker, toaster e.t.c.?

If you've joined the facebook group and scroll down a lot, one of the first few posts is about kitchen facilities.
Some of the students have discussed how much there is in terms of cooking facilities.

It's a bit long to post here but basically, as summarised by one of the freshers reps:
"There is a fridge in the shared kitchens which range from 1 between 3 to 1 between 6, and what i would consider ample cupboard space. There arn't really any freezers, most people tend to eat at hall when they are in a rush. Each kitchen has a kettle and toasters are easily obtainable for £5 if there isn't one already in the kitchen. Microwaves and hobs (sometimes induction hobs) are provided, but there arn't any ovens."
Original post by kpatb
If you've joined the facebook group and scroll down a lot, one of the first few posts is about kitchen facilities.
Some of the students have discussed how much there is in terms of cooking facilities.

It's a bit long to post here but basically, as summarised by one of the freshers reps:
"There is a fridge in the shared kitchens which range from 1 between 3 to 1 between 6, and what i would consider ample cupboard space. There arn't really any freezers, most people tend to eat at hall when they are in a rush. Each kitchen has a kettle and toasters are easily obtainable for £5 if there isn't one already in the kitchen. Microwaves and hobs (sometimes induction hobs) are provided, but there arn't any ovens."

Ok thanks :smile:, now I'm just wondering whether I can bring a toastie maker. I'm thinking probably not, though.
Reply 2751
Original post by Ray_Han
Ok thanks :smile:, now I'm just wondering whether I can bring a toastie maker. I'm thinking probably not, though.

Well you probably could BUT I would wait until you get there though :smile:

So far, all the people I've talked to suggested that I wait till I get to Cambridge and see my accommodation before I buy any stuff, especially as an international student because I'll need all the luggage space I have.
Original post by kpatb
Well you probably could BUT I would wait until you get there though :smile:

So far, all the people I've talked to suggested that I wait till I get to Cambridge and see my accommodation before I buy any stuff, especially as an international student because I'll need all the luggage space I have.

Yeah, I think I will get a lot of stuff when I am there, otherwise there will be too much to carry. I will hopefully be able to visit the college when I go to Cambridge next month so I will ask about things like this. See you in October :smile:.
Original post by gethsemane342

I was just wondering if everyone in a corridor is from the same year or is it a mixture?
Reply 2754
Original post by CordeliaDesdamona
Don't know how helpful this will be, but I've got a place for English at Selwyn and I haven't got anything other than a 'Congratulations' letter either. I think different colleges/subjects do everything at a different pace. I'm dying to get more info!

Thanks, that's a relief of sorts at least! I really want to know about accommodation as well, so confused haha.
Reply 2755
Original post by tobyc
Oh right well I still haven't got anything, the website makes it sound as if I should get something, so I might leave it a couple more days then ring up if it still hasn't come.

I'd go to the Sevenoaks one if I went, don't like the sound of that dresscode though! I don't like dressing up formally :tongue: Maybe the Sevenoaks one will be a bit more casual?

I think it is just the Edinburgh one which is that formal, plus we have to pay! I am a little worried that I will turn up on the night and be the only one there :tongue:

I started the maths workbook on the maths faculty website today, I can fairly say that if I sat STEP today I would get UU.... A lot of work to do before the 28th!

It seems like all the maths people on tsr are scattered across the colleges :frown:
Reply 2756
Original post by Eggs and Ham
£100 per week is so cheap! By fees I was referring to accomodation fees/rent, as in do you pay the lump sum (say a £1,000 for an ensuite) at the start of term or do you pay it weekly? Also, will my room be rented out to other people during the holidays when I'm not in my room? If this is the case, what do people do with their belongings, do they just leave it there until they come back?

Edit: Do you pay for electricity, water etc separately or is that included in the rent?

It depends on the college I think. We pay it on the college bill at the end of the term, I think that's usual practice. It certainly wouldn't be weekly. I always keep my student loan to one side and then that covers my college bill at the end of term :smile: All utilities are covered, including internet. Your room may be rented out, a lot of colleges use them for conferences. It depends on your rent though, I think most colleges have termly rents, but some have a 9 month rent so you get to keep all your stuff there when you leave. Otherwise you have to move pretty much everything out every term. I've always got away with keeping things in cupboards and so on, so there is a bit of leeway, and there is usually some kind of college storage, although in some places you're only entitled to use it if you live a certain distance away.

Original post by Mc^3
I might be wrong, but on top of the weekly amount of rent, I'm pretty sure there is a termly charge of ~£150 which is the "contribution to fixed costs", and I'm pretty sure that this and room rent together cover all costs, including internet, water, heating, electricity, insurance etc. I'm pretty sure it also includes the Kitchen Fixed Charge, which most colleges seem to have to subsidise hall food... Either way, accomodation at Emma is pretty cheap! :colondollar:

Please can you tell me whether I'm hideously wrong, the freshers pack/ECSU website is a bit unclear...

The contribution to fixed costs covers (afaik) the Kitchen Fixed Charge to subsidise hall food, and makes other contributions to things like the stuff in the gyp rooms or something. It's a bit vague as to what it is, but our hall food is verrrry cheap and not bad at all and you don't really notice the £150 KFC on top of your college bill at the end. It still works out cheaper than other colleges I think :smile:

Nope - I've had nothing accommodation related :frown:
Here:

I'm not sure why you haven't got a form - it might be worth either asking some other freshers on TSR...

...or phoning/emailing the College to check you're not missing any paperwork. :smile:

shuyg

Apparently we're supposed to email them to tell them our preferred band. I didn't read the whole booklet, so I didn't know.

:smile:
Original post by Ray_Han
I wouldn't mind living in the typewriter myself, but would prefer an ensuite (which every room in New Court has?), so the accommodation form actually suits me :smile:. Are most rooms in college in the typewriter? It seems like a much larger space than the other accommodation areas.

Typewriter probably has around 60 rooms or so. A lot of freshers will be there but there'll also be a lot in Y, W and Z. Most staircases have about 40 rooms.

kpatb is mostly right. Not all kitchens have a microwave. Or, possibly, I've had the misfortune to be in the ONLY corridor without one (Z27-Z30, stand up again!). It's not too bothersome as the nearest one is never far away. Then again, try balancing your microwave dinner on a plate through 4 doors and 2 narrow corridors!

There are very small ovens in W. You can make cakes. I've not heard of anything larger being managed in them.

Toaster and kettle are fine. (My toaster was easily one of the most useful things I brought with me). I imagine you'd get away with a Toastie Maker.

Original post by nadz123456
I was just wondering if everyone in a corridor is from the same year or is it a mixture?

Not everyone in a corridor will be from the same year but you're very likely to be with at least one other fresher. I have heard of a few people who get put on floors/staircases by themselves but they generally try and keep freshers together. If you're in Z or Staircases 1,2 or 3, you're likely to only be sharing with freshers. Y and W, there'll be a mix of 3rd years and freshers. S and T, very few freshers, same with P and Q. 4, you'll be with a mix but there's likely to be freshers nearby :smile:

Quick Reply