The Student Room Group

Cambridge 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 340
Original post by ArchedEdge
I'd recommend you guys start a new thread with someone updating the first post with a list of those with offers :smile:

New threads about results are not tolerated and therefore cannot be created; they are all either merged or binned. One of the moderators does not want to relinquish this "power" and thus created an "official" results thread from last May and all competition is obliterated. :eek:

Note: I have not even tried to open such a thread but noticed this puerile behaviour after having posted in more than a similar thread which was then duly cancelled.
(edited 13 years ago)
Downing College - Law
Unconditional

:smile: see you all in 9 months ish :smile:
Reply 342
Hey

I got an offer today (on my birthday :biggrin:). A*AA for economics at Robinson. Anyone else with offers for economics or from Robinson drop me a PM - it'd be great to get to know some of you before October :smile:

Congrats to all those with offers.
Reply 343
St. Catharine's - Geo

IB 41 - 776
Conditional Offer made last year, only just reached it today through a redo of TOK.

So stoked.

Anyone else at Catz / in Geo?
Subject: Archaeology & Anthropology
College: Corpus Christi
Conditiona/Unconditional offer, rejection or pool: Unconditional Offer
How did you find out and how do you feel? Found out today after pausing my constant TSR/e-mail checking for a bit of yoga. I was completely sure I'd get a rejection, actually, I'd just started working on my application to another university. I got back to my computer and saw there was an e-mail from Cambridge with the outcome as an attachment; I opened it and I just started screaming like mad!!! For a good 2 minutes, then I rechecked the letter a million times, to see if I'd read correctly, but yeah I'm in!
Reply 345
Original post by Crimsonrose22
Subject: Archaeology & Anthropology
College: Corpus Christi
Conditiona/Unconditional offer, rejection or pool: Unconditional Offer
How did you find out and how do you feel? Found out today after pausing my constant TSR/e-mail checking for a bit of yoga. I was completely sure I'd get a rejection, actually, I'd just started working on my application to another university. I got back to my computer and saw there was an e-mail from Cambridge with the outcome as an attachment; I opened it and I just started screaming like mad!!! For a good 2 minutes, then I rechecked the letter a million times, to see if I'd read correctly, but yeah I'm in!

See you around the faculty in October then!:wink::biggrin:
Original post by jonnyboy1993
I don't know :s-smilie: I got an email saying I have the offer, but the letter with the conditions in it has yet to arrive...

I see you've got an offer too, well done :party:

Oh hello, I'm glad it's worked out for you after what you were saying over on the other thread. It has for me too, so provided we both meet the conditions, hope to see you in October!
Reply 347
Woke up this morning and found the email with the offer! I wasn't expecting to hear for another week or month because I'm international (US), and even then, I was expecting assured rejection. I thought my first interview was a total disaster.
So excited!!

College:Corpus
Course: Arch/Anth
Offer: 5's on four out of five of my APs.. seriously going to start prepping like NOW :smile:
Original post by jul
Woke up this morning and found the email with the offer! I wasn't expecting to hear for another week or month because I'm international (US), and even then, I was expecting assured rejection. I thought my first interview was a total disaster.
So excited!!

College:Corpus
Course: Arch/Anth
Offer: 5's on four out of five of my APs.. seriously going to start prepping like NOW :smile:

OMG! Same course, same college! I remember, when I arrived from the interview, the guy at the entrance was like "there are 2 people who came from a more faraway place than you, one from Mauritius and one from *insert American state that starts with an A*...".... Are you from Alabama? Arizona?

Haha, PM me, we totally need to bond before seeing each other in October!
Reply 349
You know, there is one thing I absolutely don't understand. Why do users give Negative Rating to people in the "Decision" thread who write about having received an offer? Is it supposed to be communicating "Oh, I'm sorry to hear your conditions are so demanding!" or pure meanness? In the case of the latter, why on Earth? I absolutely don't see why someone writing about their offer to study Medical Sciences at Downing would get eight NR's alongside eleven PR's. And why do rejectees receive Positive Rating? Are those people so nervous they keep making random clicks about the page? :rolleyes:

Even the thread starter got an NR point :eek:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 350

OMG! Same course, same college! I remember, when I arrived from the interview, the guy at the entrance was like "there are 2 people who came from a more faraway place than you, one from Mauritius and one from *insert American state that starts with an A*...".... Are you from Alabama? Arizona?

Haha, PM me, we totally need to bond before seeing each other in October!

yess
Reply 351
Original post by metjush
Economics and Peterhouse. It's crazy I know, but I doubt it is a mistake. But I'll wait for the physical letter should anything change :biggrin:

i got an offer from peterhouse and iam international but the offer said nothing about ielts at all and the conditions were a*aa which is below my predicted grades so maybe you should call the college
(edited 13 years ago)
Christ's for MML anyone?
Reply 353
Original post by dinat
i got an offer from peterhouse and iam international but the offer said nothing about ielts at all and the conditions were a*aa which is below my predicted grades so maybe you should call the college

I am waiting for the physical letter. If the conditions are the same as in the e-mail, I will consider writing or calling them. I am not that surprised about including the IELTS (they have mentioned it at the interview), but the Band 9 is something I'm rather worried about - to score a Band 9 in any section, you need to score the full 40/40 points in that section. To achieve an overall Band 9, your average from all the sections has to be at least 8.75, that is two Band 9's and two Band 8.5's (or three Band 9's and one Band 8) from the four test sections (Writing, Reading, Listening, Speaking).
Got an offer for maths at Emmanuel!!!

A*AA plus 11 in STEP II and III :biggrin:
Reply 355
Original post by AndyXXI
St. Catharine's - Geo

IB 41 - 776
Conditional Offer made last year, only just reached it today through a redo of TOK.

So stoked.

Anyone else at Catz / in Geo?

WELL DONE!!! Catz for vet med. though I haven't heard from them yet. Sooo scared.
Reply 356
engineering
Downing college
A*AA
OFFER FROM SIDNEY SUSSEX TO READ LAW :biggrin:

I actually got told by the PA to our college principal before the letter came! Hoped it was true.

My reaction was to scream then dance around the kitchen with one of my best friends Amy to Only Girl by Rihanna.

Congrats to people with offers and those pooled (don't give up my friend got in last year via the pool) and condolences to others - do not give up hope, I was rejected by Oxford last year without interview but took this as a sign that I needed to fight and show them up. Which I sort of hope I have!

X
Reply 358
Original post by Bexxy_2010

got an offer from churchill for computer science, still shaking and so happy :smile:

anybody know what
"The College is admitting you on the basis that you are capable of achieving a First or II.1 in University examination;" means?
Reply 359
Original post by QBasti
got an offer from churchill for computer science, still shaking and so happy :smile:

anybody know what
"The College is admitting you on the basis that you are capable of achieving a First or II.1 in University examination;" means?

If you're not already at Uni, then it means they expect you to get a First class degree, or an Upper Second, when you attend. It doesn't seem worded like a condition. They're just explaining why they're offering you a place. Congratulations. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending