The Student Room Group

Cambridge 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by plinguu
got an offer for economics at jesus
anyone else??

Original post by ejh1992
I've got an offer from Jesus, for Education, impressive results! Do you know what the financial guarantee form really means?

heyy fellow jesus-ians. could you fill me in on that form thing too? cos i have absolutely no idea. i wanna apply for a student loan - what does it mean?
Original post by bs_482
Course: NatSci (Biological)
College: King's
Rejection, Pool, Offer: Conditional Offer A*AA (incl. Chemistry)

I can't believe it! I got the letter last Thursday and still check it every now and then to make sure I read it properly and I'm not just imagining it! Sort of crashed down from "cloud 9" when I remembered I have exams over the next few weeks, one of them which determines whether I get that A*...

Any other people with offers from King's?

Meeeeeeeeeeeee

For Geography, I have my letter under my pillow and read it like every night (kinda weird but still)

Also I know what you mean about crashing down, i'm trying to stay positive and not depressed. The pressure is starting to really build up :frown:
Reply 682
Original post by VaVe
I got an offer from St Catherine's for medicine.
The shock has worn off and I am now just completely terrified.

Congratulations! :smile: Yay! More St Catharine's offer holders! :biggrin:

Out of curiosity, why completely terrified?
Original post by ejh1992
I've got an offer from Jesus, for Education, impressive results! Do you know what the financial guarantee form really means?

congrats! umm no i haven't quite perused the forms in great detail as of yet. the idea i got was something to do with giving them a letter confirming you have money to pay.
Reply 684
Original post by Luckyalways

Original post by Luckyalways
heyy fellow jesus-ians. could you fill me in on that form thing too? cos i have absolutely no idea. i wanna apply for a student loan - what does it mean?

From what I gather, the college fee status form is to see whether we have to pay only £3375 (university fee) - Home Students or the university fee plus college fee (4,500) which I think international students have to pay. The financial guarantee form relates to how much money we are willing to pay, its a bit of an 'IOU', but whether this guarantee is from our own funds or from the student finance bodies I dont know :s-smilie:
Reply 685
Can anyone add anymore info to this?
Reply 686
Original post by r_u_t_h

Original post by r_u_t_h

Not sure, I wasn't expecting it and now I have to actually do some real work this year? Or possibly because last year the person my college sent to Cambridge was impossibly good at everything etc. and I don't have a clue why they gave me an offer
Reply 687
Original post by r_u_t_h
Congratulations! :smile: Yay! More St Catharine's offer holders! :biggrin:

Why do you have conditional from Cambridge and unconditional from Edinburgh?
Reply 688
Original post by mangotree93
congrats! umm no i haven't quite perused the forms in great detail as of yet. the idea i got was something to do with giving them a letter confirming you have money to pay.

Yes that's right. When you apply for your student loan and after they've processed your application, they'll send you a couple of forms telling you how much money you'll receive. The financial guarantee is usually the form with the big barcode on top.

You usually have until late august to send the financial guarantee to your college.
Original post by Melanie-v
I'm from Germany, so I'm EU - I have the home fees. Ab initio ^^ did you ever go to Italy? Very brave of you. It's meant to be a beautiful language though.

You've also applied to Durham and Bath as well :tongue:
Durham hasn't gotten back to me yet. :angry: How long did Bath take to update track? I got the offer letter in November, but it just says I've been accepted, and nothing else. No changes to Track yet either. :rolleyes: Will that be your back-up?

Track finally updated :biggrin:
It feels much more official now!

Bath updated fairly quickly - I think it came through in the last week of October but all depts are different. Did you visit? (I know its a long journey!)

I'm really torn for my back-up: I have no idea what Bath's like but the course looks fantastic. I know Manchester really well and I have family there but I wouldn't like being in such a huge community.
If I ever get an offer from Durham I'd probably go there. I'm just praying I'll get an A* and it won't come to that!

Vielen Glück (Ich habe Deutsch studiert für drei jahre - If that makes any sense!)
Original post by UnderControl
Track finally updated :biggrin:
It feels much more official now!

Bath updated fairly quickly - I think it came through in the last week of October but all depts are different. Did you visit? (I know its a long journey!)

I'm really torn for my back-up: I have no idea what Bath's like but the course looks fantastic. I know Manchester really well and I have family there but I wouldn't like being in such a huge community.
If I ever get an offer from Durham I'd probably go there. I'm just praying I'll get an A* and it won't come to that!

Vielen Glück (Ich habe Deutsch studiert für drei jahre - If that makes any sense!)

Yes, my track updated maybe an hour or so ago :biggrin: you're right, it makes it a whole lot more sure.

No, I didn't visit Bath. I like the sound of it, but apparently it isn't as good at fundamental physics as other universities. Did you? What's it like? ^^ It still hasn't updated track. :angry:
Durham and UCL haven't replied yet. I like both. Durham has the collegiate system and traditional feel I like, and UCL is just... UCL. :tongue: My maths teacher was there... as a random fact.

I like the kind of community/extended family feel of colleges. Manchester has a good rep though. Is family living there a good or bad thing? :ahee:

I'm also terrified of missing my offer now. :ahhhhh: Then again, I'm procrastinating on here right now...

Ja, das macht Sinn. :cool:
Reply 691
Original post by the_13th
Why do you have conditional from Cambridge and unconditional from Edinburgh?

Cause I've done Scottish Highers :biggrin: (5 band 1 As :smile: )
Reply 692
Original post by UCAS.LOVER
Does the A* have to be in Geoggers?

Not that I know of... the letter didn't specify which subject that the A* had to be in, although at the moment I thing that geoggers is my most likely anyway! :smile:
Reply 693
Original post by VaVe
Not sure, I wasn't expecting it and now I have to actually do some real work this year? Or possibly because last year the person my college sent to Cambridge was impossibly good at everything etc. and I don't have a clue why they gave me an offer

Same, I was genuinely surprised when I read my letter! And they don't just give offers out for no good reason, so you obviously DO deserve it :smile: I know I'm one to talk as I keep wondering why on earth they picked me, but still...

Long sentence short, we should cheer up! We have offers from CAMBRIDGE! :smile:
Original post by ejh1992
Education with biology, i sent you a message, msg me back :wink:

Another education applicant!!!! Actually was starting to think it was just me :tongue:
Geography at St Catherine's. WOOP WOOP. Any geography people or St Catz people PM me :smile:
Original post by plinguu
got an offer for economics at jesus
anyone else??

congrats! am doing economics at queens' haha :smile:
Reply 697
Original post by r_u_t_h
Long sentence short, we should cheer up! We have offers from CAMBRIDGE! :smile:

Woo! Now we just need to revise =]

Original post by JakeNielen
Geography at St Catherine's.

Yay! More people =D
(edited 13 years ago)
Any Gonville and Caius students? I feel like I'm on my own here!
Original post by ragaa
what was your bmat score?

6.3, 6.2, 3B I was pleased, but they're definitely not as good as loads of other offers, the more I see other people with fantastic bmat scores rejected I can't quite believe they accepted mine :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending