The Student Room Group

Cambridge 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Im Magdalene for Law!
Reply 981
Original post by katey_doodles
Mine was on the 8th December. Our school formal was on the day before, so I had to miss it - best decision I ever made! :biggrin: When was yours?
And what is it you want to do? Given that you've applied for education I assume some form of teaching? :tongue:
It's not that it's really that regular, well, in my town anyway (which is fairly small). This year was a bit of an anomaly, as there were three of us from my town who applied to Cambridge (and amazingly, all of us got in!) but that wouldn't be the norm.
At my interview I met two MML applicants from Dublin. Would there be a lot of people from around your area who'd apply?

Mine was on the 14th December. Yeah you can say that again! I originally applied to study pure English but they offered me Education/with English which I think may be the best place for me. I'd like to write particularly for film in the future. That's such a big coincidence,it's quite out of the ordinary. A girl in my year applied to Oxford,in ym school I think you'd find some applying every couple of years.
Original post by dwalsh20
Mine was on the 14th December. Yeah you can say that again! I originally applied to study pure English but they offered me Education/with English which I think may be the best place for me. I'd like to write particularly for film in the future. That's such a big coincidence,it's quite out of the ordinary. A girl in my year applied to Oxford,in ym school I think you'd find some applying every couple of years.

Wow, no way! That's soooo interesting - I'd love to write for film, but I don't think I'd be anywhere near good enough. And I'd say Education/English is a good call - I've read about the course and it sounds terrific :smile:
Original post by QBasti

the only thing, that annoys me about the abitur system, is the huge difference in difficulty between the 'bundesländer' (states).. but my admissions tutor told me, that they keep that in mind when composing the conditional offers..

now that are the best news i have had so for!
thanks for sharing :wink:
i hope all universitys have that in mind somewhere :smile:
Reply 984
Original post by ScotlandLiv
Any Land Economists or Magdalene people here?
Would like to talk to people before October :P
Send me a message :smile:

I'm philosophy at Magdalene! There's a facebook group, only like 8 members at the moment though :/ . Everyone join!

Downing, Land Economy :smile:
Original post by QBasti
i can only support that. sure, some teachers are unable to compose a real 'mündliche note', and it sometimes depends on the teacher's opinion,what grade you get.
but I have a lot of good teachers, who can tell who's just talking nonsense to get a good grade. and the broad variety of subjects we are taught in the final years, i think, wonderfully contributes to general knowledge and an abstract and independent way of thinking. i'm glad, i didn't have to choose 3 subjects right away (2 years ago, i wouldn't have the slightes clue what to take =P)

the only thing, that annoys me about the abitur system, is the huge difference in difficulty between the 'bundesländer' (states).. but my admissions tutor told me, that they keep that in mind when composing the conditional offers..

I agree. Although I´ve applied for Classics I also love other subjects like Physics, Maths, Biology, Politics etc and I´m glad to have 10 interesting subjects rather than 3:smile: Of course an earlier specialization has advantages as well, but since I like languages and natsci i wouldn´t have been able to choose only three subjects:wink:
Reply 987
Original post by katey_doodles
Wow, no way! That's soooo interesting - I'd love to write for film, but I don't think I'd be anywhere near good enough. And I'd say Education/English is a good call - I've read about the course and it sounds terrific :smile:

Thanks it's nice to get another person's view besides my parents on it. If that's genuinely what you want to do,go for it. Honestly I wouldn't regard myself as god enough,maybe I'm just blissfully unaware but that's what I want to do. My head's always buzzing with ideas,it sucks in my view that I've to get this Leaving Cert out of the way first.
Reply 988

Magdalene laww :smile:
Reply 989
Original post by bs_482
I came across one with an offer for Geography and another person doing classics (I think you're doing classics?) but apart from that no one!

I have an offer (unconditional) from King's to read Bio nat sci :smile:
Reply 990
Anyone out there with an offer to read English at Girton? or any other prospective Girtonians in general? Get in touch! :smile:
Original post by katem32
Anyone out there with an offer to read English at Girton? or any other prospective Girtonians in general? Get in touch! :smile:

i'm girton, mml! :smile:
Reply 992
Hello,
I received an offer to read natsci biology at king's this is mg second offer. Is anyone else in reciept of n offer and are a year older, and going to king's....or trying to in my case desparately.
Reply 993
any English litters? Or Newnham go-ers?
Reply 994
Anybody got an offer at Corpus Christi? I feel really lonenly atm... nobody appears to have applied there. I got an offer for PPS incidently
I got an offer from Gonville and Caius for medicine :smile: anyone else here with the same?
Reply 996
Original post by amishg
Hello,
I received an offer to read natsci biology at king's this is mg second offer. Is anyone else in reciept of n offer and are a year older, and going to king's....or trying to in my case desparately.

I'm not a year older (perhaps even a year younger, since we in the US finish school a year younger), but I have an offer from King's to read bio nat sci too :smile:. Hope to see you in the fall!
Reply 997
Original post by Jacke02
Anybody got an offer at Corpus Christi? I feel really lonenly atm... nobody appears to have applied there. I got an offer for PPS incidently

hey you are not alone! i got an offer to read physical natural science, and indeed there are so few of us...
Reply 998
Original post by Andre09
hey you are not alone! i got an offer to read physical natural science, and indeed there are so few of us...

ooh awesome. And yeh apparently there are only like 83 undergrads in the first year, which is basically like the size of one year of my sixth form. Hmmm... i hope that's good! Corpus looks lovely...
Reply 999
Original post by coupdefoudre
i'm girton, mml! :smile:

cooool- where are you from? have you yet to sit your exams or have you got past that hurdle already? i'll be so gutted if i miss the grades because after enduring 6 interviews getting in was quite honestly one of the happiest moments of my life thus far :tongue: x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending