The Student Room Group

Cambridge 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wildebeest
I would just like to wish anybody who is waiting for an offer the very best of luck. Waiting for the letter certainly isn't the most relaxing of times, but it doesn't take a lot of searching from my perspective to see how much effort a lot of you have put into your applications - and this is merely an internet forum! Try not to worry, and I hope the result is a nice surprise. :smile:

Thank you :smile:
Reply 161
Original post by Wildebeest
I would just like to wish anybody who is waiting for an offer the very best of luck. Waiting for the letter certainly isn't the most relaxing of times, but it doesn't take a lot of searching from my perspective to see how much effort a lot of you have put into your applications - and this is merely an internet forum! Try not to worry, and I hope the result is a nice surprise. :smile:

Thankyou Wildebeest. It's true, we are all feeling the strain.
I'm slightly confused as to why some people are claiming to have offers already. When I had my interview at Queens' the admissions tutor made quite a point of telling us that ALL colleges for ALL subjects make their decisions and post the letters on the 5th January.

He specifically stated that if anyone is claiming to have an offer before 5th January, they haven't (he mentioned that if anyone on facebook or the student room claimed to have an offer before 5th january, they wouldn't have one.
Reply 163
Original post by Blackdragon
I'm slightly confused as to why some people are claiming to have offers already. When I had my interview at Queens' the admissions tutor made quite a point of telling us that ALL colleges for ALL subjects make their decisions and post the letters on the 5th January.

He specifically stated that if anyone is claiming to have an offer before 5th January, they haven't (he mentioned that if anyone on facebook or the student room claimed to have an offer before 5th january, they wouldn't have one.

It's different for postgrads. As has been pointed out before.
Reply 164
Interestingly though, there are a couple of people who are posting their offers already, but at the same time their A level conditions - suggesting that they are neither postgrad nor international (the only people I can think of who might know already - though international students are supposed to be told at the same time as the others).

This seems to be contrary to the university-wide policy of sending decisions on the 5th.

Meh, we'll find out when we find out. Which I hope isn't delayed by weather or post-malfunctions!
Original post by Ollie901
My birthday is on the 6th too :biggrin:

Lets just hope it'll be a good one :colondollar:

my birthday is on the same day too :smile: lets hope we get the best present ever ...
Reply 166
Original post by Blackdragon

The admissions tutor definitely did not say that - no way would he/she give examples of facebook or studentroom as sources of conceited offers (this is highly unprofessional for any institution, let alone Cambridge). I'm glad you are trying to dispel rumours, but you do not need to exaggerate so much such that your words border on lying.
Original post by eltimo12
The admissions tutor definitely did not say that - no way would he/she give examples of facebook or studentroom as sources of conceited offers (this is highly unprofessional for any institution, let alone Cambridge). I'm glad you are trying to dispel rumours, but you do not need to exaggerate so much such that your words border on lying.

Sorry eltimo, and I'm glad you're doing the trying to dispel rumours too, but you're wrong. There are guidelines on what the interviewers are allowed to say and not say, but no one actually picks them up on it if they do things wrong; they have little peer-review style inspections of each others' interview techniques once in a while but apart from that, who would punish them?! One that I'm told by my DoS isn't allowed to be asked is "why did you choose Cambridge instead of Oxford?" but in the same sentence she confirmed she'd asked that in the past to some applicants whom she thought, from their personal statements, seemed more aligned to the Oxford degree. Some interviewers are MA/PhD students who can be as young as 23/24/25 and very much in tune with undergrad internet subculture, and as such would very possibly give this sort of answer if asked, especially if they're aware of the issue.

I wouldn't talk as though you have authority on the matter unless you've got some real experience of it. Cambridge isn't the pinnacle of professionalism that you expect it to be; at the end of the day, the people teaching you are human. They double-book themselves, photocopy your worksheets incorrectly, send the same email twice (sometimes three times) by mistake, and sometimes just, out of sheer disorganisation, don't turn up to the lecture they're taking. Sorry to be arsy, but if I were you I wouldn't start claiming things "definitely" wouldn't happen unless you're vice-chancellor yourself. A lot of the myths about interviews are false, but I have heard it from the horse's mouth that every now and then they enjoy throwing candidates stupidly odd questions just to see if they can return the curveball, and to brighten up their day; they do have to give 50-60 of these things, after all. Pretty much anything can happen in interviews.
Reply 168

Actually, having attended my interview at Queens' too I can confirm this is exactly what the admissions tutor, Andrew Thompson, said. If you can't confirm the opposite then please don't accuse someone of lying. It seems it doesn't apply to postgrads, but I'll more readily agree with the admissions tutor than I will you, and if an undergrad tells me they have an offer I'm going to be inclined to disbelieve them. Though with three days left until we get our replies it isn't going to matter much. I should clarify, it was in the group-meeting in the morning and said to allay applicants' fears, not during any interview itself.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 169

Original post by no chance
Actually, having attended my interview at Queens' too I can confirm this is exactly what the admissions tutor, Andrew Thompson, said. If you can't confirm the opposite then please don't accuse someone of lying. It seems it doesn't apply to postgrads, but I'll more readily agree with the admissions tutor than I will you, and if an undergrad tells me they have an offer I'm going to be inclined to disbelieve them. Though with three days left until we get our replies it isn't going to matter much. I should clarify, it was in the group-meeting in the morning and said to allay applicants' fears, not during any interview itself.

Actually, my general interviewer said at the end of my interview 'Oh, you shouldn't believe all the things you see on The Student Room.' This statement being a response to me expressing how scary I thought they interview would be. Moreover, in their guidebooks they're directed towards the TSR Cambridge section. I think if you don't know what you're talking about, you ought not make comment. That being said, some internationals can do A levels.

Also, I don't think you've used the word conceited correctly. Perhaps this is a small point but it can be very frustrating.

NC: I only quoted you to display my agreement.
Reply 170
Original post by redbeanmochi
You put into words exactly how I'm feeling! By the way, my interview was on the 8th, too. :wink: Well, good luck!

Good luck!!:smile:
Reply 171
I had another dream about letter day. I got the letter and I got an offer and I was deliriously happy. That's a bit different to my last one! :p: I hope this one comes true thought :frown:

Dreams where I've got and offer - 1
Dreams where I've been rejected - 1

I shall keep you updated :cool:
Reply 172
Ah medicine is just so hard to get in for! So nervous :s-smilie:

(although excited too :p:)
Original post by davidmarsh01
I had another dream about letter day. I got the letter and I got an offer and I was deliriously happy. That's a bit different to my last one! :p: I hope this one comes true thought :frown:

Dreams where I've got and offer - 1
Dreams where I've been rejected - 1

I shall keep you updated :cool:

I had a dream about my interview that was strange. I arrived at Queens and began my first interview but suddenly realised I had only shaved one half of my face so was sat with my hand over that half for the whole interview. Was very, very strange :smile: I woke up and felt a compulsion to shave.

I was there on the 15th and he referenced Facebook and 'Other Student Sites' so It is more than possible.
Original post by l4ith
Ah medicine is just so hard to get in for! So nervous :s-smilie:

(although excited too :p:)

Considering your UMS/BMAT scores, you sholdnt have the slightest problem:smile:
What college did you apply for?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 176
Original post by RechtsDerIsar
Considering your UMS/BMAT scores, you sholdnt have the slightest problem:smile:
What college did you apply for?

Thank you :colondollar: I applied to Trinity though, so there is lots of competition with people who have similar grades! Would be a dream to go there though :smile: I saw you were applying to Gonville and Caius? I know a couple applying there :smile: Good luck, I am sure you will do fine!
Original post by l4ith
Thank you :colondollar: I applied to Trinity though, so there is lots of competition with people who have similar grades!

You WILL get in!
Original post by Lyam
Actually, my general interviewer said at the end of my interview 'Oh, you shouldn't believe all the things you see on The Student Room.'
It's slightly worrying that the people who make decisions on our applications could after all be lurking about here! :s-smilie:
Reply 179
Original post by Piecewise
It's slightly worrying that the people who make decisions on our applications could after all be lurking about here! :s-smilie:

I had a dream in which they kept a file of my postings on here. They invited me to a discussion in which they told me I was rejected and gave "evidence" by quoting some of the things I wrote on here. :s-smilie:

I wonder if we should get a new offers thread on the 6th? With all the discussion going on, this one has kinda failed to answer its purpose. :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending