Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, i would like to study an OU course that would look good when applying to medical schools.

I am not sure which one of these to do:

1. Human Genetics & Health Issues

2. Molecules, Medecine's & Drugs : A Chemical Story

Which one would be best for a medicine applicant??? Anyone done any of these before?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpartanLK)
    Hello, i would like to study an OU course that would look good when applying to medical schools.

Which one would be best for a medicine applicant??? Anyone done any of these before?
    Hi! Ive done the Human Genetics and Health Issues one! hah, just literally got my results. But its really a matter of which one you think will interest you more. And at my school they suggested that if you want to do Medicine, you dont need to do the Molecules, Medicines and Drugs one, you can do whatever interests you.
    As a little bit of help, the genetics one is mainly about, simple genetics (haploid, diploid, mitosis etc), then some pedigree diagrams and probability, application of genetics on diseases like Huntingtons Disease, Downs Syndrome and CF for example, urr, it looks a bit into cancer, a bit more detail about how not all DNA is genes etc, the use the human genome project has had, and social/ethical implications/possible future developments. :grin:
    I enjoyed it, but I wouldnt recommend leaving it to last minute.
    My friends done the medicine one, and its very chemistry based I think. Maybe theres a summary about in on the OU website?

Good Luck with your choice anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpartanLK)

I would say the 'Human genetics and Health Issues' one, but tbh I don't think it matters, because they want to see your range of other interests (something other than medicine to show you have a release to relieve stress), I did 'The Universe & Beyond (because I am partially a bit of a physics geek ).....but still think out of your options choice 1 is the best Just dont feel you need to link everything to medicine.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.