The Student Room Group

How unhealthy is Subway?

Just wondering as I started going regularly a few weeks ago, whereas I would only go occassionally before. I usually get a footlong Chicken Tikka on Monday as its sub of the day, and then will have 1 or 2 subs in the rest of the week (usually 1). Salad is usually lettuce, tomatoes and bbq sauce and no cheese. So yeah, will having a footlong sub a couple of times a week have any significant health effects? Also what bread is healthiest?
Reply 1
I've heard a fair bit recently how Subway is actually one of the most unhealthy fast-food places out there. They do taste deli-licious though :smile:
they have the stuff on the nutritional info website.

but i imagine yes its pretty unhealthy having one a couple of times a week. not to mention really very expensive

a foot long chicken tikka sub...

732kcal
21.6g of fat
9.2g of saturated fat
0.73g Sodium

which isn't actually that bad, i take back what i said, but i still wouldn't have them very often as there are much healthier/cheaper ways to go
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
Meatball marinaras in moderation = :drool:... I don't care about 'healthy' when stuff tastes that good.
Reply 4
Depends what you get. The Meatball thing is way more unhealthy than a Big Mac for example, whereas the Subway melt with a lot of salad is much healthier.
Never been, but read that the meatball marinara has as much salt as 10 packets of crisps. 4.7g. pow pow.
Reply 6
You'll find that the subway hater crowd will often use the "Meatball Marinara Game" as their argument. This issue of course being that the meatball marinara is probably the single least healthy thing on the menu, and people will constantly use it (and the double portion "footlong") as the "standard".

You're looking at between 300-500 kcal for a subway sandwich, really; not a devastating prospect by any means. If you're choosing to be healthy by opting out of heavy dressings and cheese, you can easily get a subway for under 300 kcal, which is pretty low calorie lunch by anyone's standards!

Of course, if you choose to get the least healthy sub, ask for lots of the least healthy sauce, double cheese and no salad in a double portion (footlong sandwich) then of COURSE it's going to be comparable to eating a heavy takeaway.

It's like saying "McDonalds has apparently stepped up their game by saying it's got low-cal diet options and reducing saturated fat but why is it still so bad for me? I asked for two big tasty burgers with double sauce and double bacon, and apparently this is bad for me? Blatant false advertising."
Reply 7
I'd give it a 7.
Reply 8
It really isn't as bad as people say! Just have a low-fat sub like turkey and ham or some chicken ones. Honey oat is the healthiest bread I think.
Reply 9
Can't be any less healthy than the crap I usually eat.
Reply 10
Footlong veggie delight all the way ;D.
Original post by vedderfan94
Just wondering as I started going regularly a few weeks ago, whereas I would only go occassionally before. I usually get a footlong Chicken Tikka on Monday as its sub of the day, and then will have 1 or 2 subs in the rest of the week (usually 1). Salad is usually lettuce, tomatoes and bbq sauce and no cheese. So yeah, will having a footlong sub a couple of times a week have any significant health effects? Also what bread is healthiest?

It's as healthy/unhealthy as you make it

Wheat bread's the best (and tastiest) option to go for and the oat one's pretty good too. Just think about what you're putting on there, y'know?

Turkey/Chicken teriyaki vs Italian BMT/Meatball Marinara..

It's a no brainer :smile:
So unhealthy, yet so tasty. I had the most wonderful calorie-laden one today and I did not care - footlong Italian Herbs and Cheese Chicken Teriyaki :biggrin:
How can any of you people eat from there? The smell is terrible.
it's not the most unhealthy you can go for, i mean its a sandwich- probably no worse then grabbing a packet of Chicken and bacon sandwiches from a supermarket (around 600kcal last time i checked) if your active anyway your meant to have around 2500kcal a day so stick to water or diet cola and your pretty safe :smile:
I have heard that some of the stuff isn't the most healthy :frown:
:s-smilie: I thought it was one of the healthier takeaway options. I'm not in there often but I usually get a Chicken Tikka footlong as well. Salad, **** load of onions and chilli sauce. :drool:

But I suppose the chicken tikka and sugary sauce would add up. :frown:
I'm sure it's not as unhealthy as tasty it is. God, love Subway so much.
Original post by vedderfan94

Well you don't get cheese so it's not that bad.

You should try chicken breast with lettuce sweetcorn red onion and sweet onion sauce, ohh so nice!!

Quick Reply

Latest