Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which YASS Open University Course for Medicine Applicants? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello, i would like to study an OU course that would look good when applying to medical schools.

I am not sure which one of these to do:

1. Human Genetics & Health Issues

2. Molecules, Medecine's & Drugs : A Chemical Story

Which one would be best for a medicine applicant??? Anyone done any of these before, was it beneficial for interview etc?

ReputationRep:
    I am currently doing a 15 point YASS course: "Understanding Cardiovascular Diseases SK121"

It's quite relevant as this is an increasing problem

ReputationRep:
    why would any medical school be interested in you doing either? can you think of a logical reason?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpartanLK)
    Hello, i would like to study an OU course that would look good when applying to medical schools.

I am not sure which one of these to do:

1. Human Genetics & Health Issues

2. Molecules, Medecine's & Drugs : A Chemical Story

Which one would be best for a medicine applicant??? Anyone done any of these before, was it beneficial for interview etc?
    i did molecules medicines and drugs a chemical story

it was piss easy but complimented my second year chemistry quite well in terms of basics as well as some specilist topics like amine reactions etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John Locke)
    why would any medical school be interested in you doing either? can you think of a logical reason?
    It requires a large degree of independent study - all medical schools want to see evidence of this, it's a good example to provide. And it's going beyond the confines of the A2 science curriculum in order to expand your own learning, helps show a willingness to broaden your horizons when it comes to learning.
    They also show you're capable of work which is at a higher level (supposedly) than that of the A-level curriculum.

So it is actually a logical decision, it's something to maybe bring up at interviews, something to mention briefly on personal statement.. etc.

OP: I did the molecules, medicines and drugs one and it wasn't particularly inspiring - I think it's more appropriate for someone wishing to do an MPharm or pharmaceutical degree. It was relatively straight forward though, providing you do chemistry at AS/A2 you should find it fine. (And you do not need the suggested 100 hour's worth of study, whatsoever)

I think the Genetics one would have been much more interesting, I meant to do it but for some reason signed up for the drugs one instead Oh well!

ReputationRep:
    I did Molecules, Medecines & Drugs

Really interesting course, and you get a molymod set!

ReputationRep:
    On your UCAS form were would you state it, because if it is on the personal statement, they get filled up quite quickly and i would honestly simply do one of these courses for medical school to see i have put an extra effort in. I like the cardiovascular diseases one, which costs around £155, a lot of money which may go to waste if all i can do is put it on my personal statement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John Locke)
    I think for independent research and showing initiative on a PS it's a good idea, but I know that UCL don't accept it as an academic qualification.

does think the question is that does it really help or give you such an advantage in application?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by garlicbreadman)
      I am currently doing a 15 point YASS course: "Understanding Cardiovascular Diseases SK121"

It's quite relevant as this is an increasing problem
      This is not currently a YASS module. Was it when you completed it? I have seen it on the OU website but no reference to YASS

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.