Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So just to clarify.

If you are Scottish and going to a Scottish university you will pay no fees.
    If you are Polish and going to a Scottish university you will pay no fees.
    If you are French and going to a Scottish university you will pay no fees.
    If you are Bulgarian and going to a Scottish university you will pay no fees.

However, if you are English, Welsh or Northern Irish you will pay upto £6000 per year.
    So if you come from Newcastle, 60 miles away from Edinburgh you will have to pay but if you are from Sofia 1500miles away from Edinburghy you don't.

How the hell is that fair?
    I wouldn't mind if they treated all EU the same as England, but this is utterly disgusting and can't possibly stand up to legal action.

ReputationRep:
    Life's not fair. :nopity:

ReputationRep:
    Once more, for the people who arrived late or who are hard of hearing. If a Scottish student studies in the EU they will be charged no or basically no fees. If they went to England they'd be charged the same as an English student. "How the hell is that fair"? Because it's a two way street. Why should we charge you nothing if you're going to charge us?

ReputationRep:
    Why? English universities charge full price for Scottish students studying in England etc.

ReputationRep:
    Because the Scottish Parliament hate English people

Seriously, I don't know, I really want a good reason from the Scottish ministers for this... it looks like discrimination for the time being.

ReputationRep:
    It's a devolved matter, therefore there doesn't need to be an element of fairness as the Scottish government can set their own rules and regulations, and they don't have to consider what English students are paying. It's basically like saying "They pay far less tuition fees in France, HOW IS THAT FAIR!?!?!", in that it doesn't need to be 'fair' because it's decided by two different governments.

Next.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelephant)
    Once more, for the people who arrived late or who are hard of hearing. If a Scottish student studies in the EU they will be charged no or basically no fees. If they went to England they'd be charged the same as an English student. "How the hell is that fair"? Because it's a two way street. Why should we charge you nothing if you're going to charge us?
    This.

ReputationRep:
    Once more, for the people who arrived late or who are hard of hearing. If a Scottish student studies in the EU they will be charged no or basically no fees. If they went to England they'd be charged the same as an English student. "How the hell is that fair" Because it's a two way street. Why should we charge you nothing if you're going to charge us?

This.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't it an EU rule that a country must charge EU students the same as they would a local student? As I understand it, it's not really anything to do with reciprocality. France might charge students (French, or other EU students) €5000 a year tuition, and if a Scottish student studied there, that's what they'd pay because that's what a local French student would pay. A French student going to a Scottish uni would pay nothing because that's what a local British student would pay (in this case local meaning living in Scotland).

The problem is that these rules only apply between EU countries. They do not apply internally. So there is an EU law that says the UK mustn't discriminate against EU students from other countries, but the UK is free to discriminate against students from other parts of the UK. Seems pretty unfair to me.

So I guess this could be considered a plus point to Scottish independence from an English point of view. If Scotland were independent and part of the EU, they would be forced to give English students an equal price.

ReputationRep:
    Scottish universites need to have some students paying money otherwise they would not be able to afford free fees for their own students. Also, Scottish fees are nowhere near as high as English fees. Our uni charges £1850 a year.

I personally, and I know this opinion is just going to get me neg rep and crap from just about everybody, but I personally think priority should be given to scottish students at scottish universities. If we gave English, Welsh and Irish students free fees there would obviously be a massive influx, but no benefit to scottish students. It would just mean even less chance of our own students getting into university. It was bad enough this year with the number of applications per place. Why make it worse?

Like I said, I know a whole lot of you are going to go bat**** at that, but hey, it's just my opinion, the one I'm allowed to have.

ReputationRep:
    The government are trashing dreams, wrecking lives and then they wonder how to stop poverty or even so how to prevent it when clearly they are the cause. The increase of tuition fees is going to put people off education forever and without education people are not going to be able to work because of their qualifications. They think they know everything.

ReputationRep:
    It isn't fair. It's something you have to deal with as it's not like there is something we can do about it. That's life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicforsanity)
    I personally, and I know this opinion is just going to get me neg rep and crap from just about everybody, but I personally think priority should be given to scottish students at scottish universities. If we gave English, Welsh and Irish students free fees there would obviously be a massive influx, but no benefit to scottish students. It would just mean even less chance of our own students getting into university. It was bad enough this year with the number of applications per place. Why make it worse?
    I think that's fair enough. But by the same reasoning I don't think it's fair that people from outside the UK should get a better deal than people from the UK. Ideally Scottish students would get it cheapest, then people from the rest of the UK, and EU students paying at least the same as that.

Thats an unfair reply.

In England all students pay. Regardless of where they are from.

In Scotland you only pay if English/Welsh. Anywhere else you don't.

So how can you equate the two.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    I think that's fair enough. But by the same reasoning I don't think it's fair that people from outside the UK should get a better deal than people from the UK. Ideally Scottish students would get it cheapest, then people from the rest of the UK, and EU students paying at least the same as that.
    Same, I think that's the way it should be done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    So just to clarify.

However, if you are English, Welsh or Northern Irish you will pay upto £6000 per year.
    So if you come from Newcastle, 60 miles away from Edinburgh you will have to pay but if you are from Sofia 1500miles away from Edinburghy you don't.

I wouldn't mind if they treated all EU the same as England, but this is utterly disgusting and can't possibly stand up to legal action.
    Yes it can. They, unlike you, know the exact regulations that allow it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    Isn't it an EU rule that a country must charge EU students the same as they would a local student? As I understand it, it's not really anything to do with reciprocality. France might charge students (French, or other EU students) €5000 a year tuition, and if a Scottish student studied there, that's what they'd pay because that's what a local French student would pay. A French student going to a Scottish uni would pay nothing because that's what a local British student would pay (in this case local meaning living in Scotland).

The problem is that these rules only apply between EU countries. They do not apply internally. So there is an EU law that says the UK mustn't discriminate against EU students from other countries, but the UK is free to discriminate against students from other parts of the UK. Seems pretty unfair to me.

So I guess this could be considered a plus point to Scottish independence from an English point of view. If Scotland were independent and part of the EU, they would be forced to give English students an equal price.
    They actually charge a few hundred quid!

(Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    Yes it can. They, unlike you, know the exact regulations that allow it.
    Do enlighten me
    What regulation allows a business within the EU to charge fees dependent on ones country of origin within the EU..?

(Original post by Psyk)
    If this is the case you can take this a step further though to show how ridiculous it is.

Its the same as saying London Congestion charge is £10 for those not living within it...and £15 if you're from Manchester.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    So just to clarify.

That's one way of looking at it. Here is another way of looking at it:

If you are Scottish and going to an English university you will pay £6000.
    If you are English and going to a Scottish university you will pay £6000.
    If you are Scottish and going to a French university you will pay no fees.

If English institutions charge £6000 for Scottish students to go to English universities, then Scottish institutions will charge £6000 for English students to go to Scottish universities.

You don't honestly expect Scotland to let you come to their universities for free when the universities in your country charge Scottish students £6000 to go to the universities in theirs, do you? Because if you do then that would be "utterly disgusting and couldn't possibly stand up to legal action", as you seem to believe to be a suitable response in your OP.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.