Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Supporting a partner at uni Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I don't know how many people on here might be doing this, but how hard is it to financially support a partner who is at uni? My boyfriend has had such trouble getting a job he has decided to go and do another degree one that will hopefully finish with a professional and vocational qualification. The course he is going for is a free NHS course with a grant so their will be no tuition fees to pay but we will still be essentially living on just my salary, because it is a full time course and he wil not be working. Is anyone in this situation or does anyone have any advice?

ReputationRep:
    Does he not get any maintenance loan or the like?

ReputationRep:
    Im not sure if it applies to this but student finance told me if I was over 25 there was a lot more support you can get - maybe the case for this? But yeah supporting someone else will be hard - of course it depends what you are earning etc - once I leave uni I hope to get a job otherwise all my partners wages are going to be paying for my share of all our bills....

Make sure you are claiming everything you are entitled to - check about tax credits, any help with rent (LHA) etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suzie101)
    Im not sure if it applies to this but student finance told me if I was over 25 there was a lot more support you can get - maybe the case for this? But yeah supporting someone else will be hard - of course it depends what you are earning etc - once I leave uni I hope to get a job otherwise all my partners wages are going to be paying for my share of all our bills....

Make sure you are claiming everything you are entitled to - check about tax credits, any help with rent (LHA) etc
    As i said in another thread, he can't get JSA cos of how much i earn, which to be honest isn't a huge amount but is still more than the cut off point. I can't get tax credits cos i am only just 24 it's another year before i can claim. We are looking into housing benefit, but i don't know much about that. He will be getting a learning grant but will not be getting a loan or mature student grant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hippieglitter)
    As i said in another thread, he can't get JSA cos of how much i earn, which to be honest isn't a huge amount but is still more than the cut off point. I can't get tax credits cos i am only just 24 it's another year before i can claim. We are looking into housing benefit, but i don't know much about that. He will be getting a learning grant but will not be getting a loan or mature student grant.
    Unfortunately unless your rent is a lot you probably wont be able to claim anything for that either - Its a ridiculous situation to be in, me and my OH are basically going to be going through the exact same thing. It seems to me if your under 25 your basically screwed by the government.
    Best thing I can advise is do the calculator online - it should be able to tell you if you are entitled to any housing benefit help etc...
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Diol1/Do...gory/DG_172666

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hippieglitter)
    I don't know how many people on here might be doing this, but how hard is it to financially support a partner who is at uni? My boyfriend has had such trouble getting a job he has decided to go and do another degree one that will hopefully finish with a professional and vocational qualification. The course he is going for is a free NHS course with a grant so their will be no tuition fees to pay but we will still be essentially living on just my salary, because it is a full time course and he wil not be working. Is anyone in this situation or does anyone have any advice?
    I support my partner through uni (I'm still at uni myself), but I have a fairly well paid, part time job.

What we do is budget very carefully and use economies of scale on things like rent, food, bills etc. So on that front, it's very doable. But if I were to support her outright, then that would be difficult.

ReputationRep:
    You're a very good woman to help him and support him financially. I like you. I wish you the very best in life and in love.

How many hours will he have spare per week?

ReputationRep:
    Get him to start looking for a part time job! And get him to save up before he goes! A lot of students study full time and work to pay their way through.

ReputationRep:
    If he's doing an NHS course i'd have a look at care work agencies and the like to see if he can pick up some hours doing that. many of the staff i used to work with were nursing and physio students who worked a couple of night shifts each week as they were paid slightly better

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.