Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    In general, do you get any holidays if you are on a summer internship? If so, roughly how much are you entitled to.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dreamingaboutthestars)
    In general, do you get any holidays if you are on a summer internship? If so, roughly how much are you entitled to.

Thanks.
    You are entitled to one weeks holiday (if it's a ten week internship) but if you are looking to impress you shouldn't take it unless absolutely necessary.

ReputationRep:
    Lol holidays? gtfo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_E_X)
    You are entitled to one weeks holiday (if it's a ten week internship) but if you are looking to impress you shouldn't take it unless absolutely necessary.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_E_X)
    Thanks a lot for your help.

ReputationRep:
    as a girl you're entering a mans world - sounds sexist but its pretty much the hard truth. An elitist industry dominated by alpha males.

ReputationRep:

Thanks.
    Maybe you can go on one with one of the traders

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Galatasaray)
    Maybe you can go on one with one of the traders

This would probably score you a Fulltime offer FTW!

ReputationRep:
    I'm with Galatasaray.

ReputationRep:
    Are you actually taking the piss? Why would you care about holiday? You are there for 10 weeks only, it would be ridiculous.

I know if I was a trader and saw an intern take a holiday in a 10 week internship I would not even think about giving them a job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by derivstrader)
    Are you actually taking the piss? Why would you care about holiday? You are there for 10 weeks only, it would be ridiculous.

I know if I was a trader and saw an intern take a holiday in a 10 week internship I would not even think about giving them a job.
    Me and my friends were just wondering to be honest as in any other job you get time off. Not looking to go into IB - thank god after some comments in here. More public service. I just know if you ask a question in here - you are more likely to get a reply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by derivstrader)

if somebody works for me, and they work hard during the time they are expected to work, that's all I expect.

not taking any holiday might be regarded as a bit desperate.

i know plenty of people who took time off during internships. they're doing ok for themselves these days...

ReputationRep:

Thanks.
    I would advise against taking time off during an internship. I don't think taking time off will maximise your chances of being offered a FT position. Doing more than is required from you and doing it well will improve your chances by a degree that is definitely worth considering.

I think the best thing to do is to play it by ear. Analyse the situation carefully and do what you think is most appropriate.

ReputationRep:
    Word of advice, if you need a holiday don't ever work in IBD, and more importantly, don't even think about asking for time off if working in IBD.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i_hate_teeth)
    I would advise against taking time off during an internship. I don't think taking time off will maximise your chances of being offered a FT position. Doing more than is required from you and doing it well will improve your chances by a degree that is definitely worth considering.
    you don't have to work every day to do 'more than is required of you'.

think about it people: for 41+ weeks of the year, there's no intern on the desk and they just about manage. The work you're doing really isn't that important, and if you think you get hired based on the pure quantity of hours you work you put in, you are mistaken.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chewwy)

think about it people: for 41+ weeks of the year, there's no intern on the desk and they just about manage. The work you're doing really isn't that important, and if you think you get hired based on the pure quantity of hours you work you put in, you are mistaken.
    It's a sign of your commitment and ability to "handle it" (moreso for IBD than S&T)
    You need to take a week off for anything other than a serious personal issue? As you've only been on the job for less than 2 months, that's a good sign that you're likely to burn out completely when you're hit with serious work over a longer time period.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chewwy)

Not to put to fine a point on it, but I was under the impression that the main focus of interning is to receive on the job training, to secure some form of employment, and to network with as many people as possible.

In my opinion, I don't see how taking time off during an internship facilitates any of the aforementioned points.

I'm not sure what would make you think I beleive that people are hired based on 'pure quantitiy of hours you work'. On the contrary, I am a firm beleiver in quality over quantitiy.

edit: I suggest you re-read my orignal post, I think the points I raised went over your head tbh.

ReputationRep:
    You are there for 10 weeks, why on earth do you need time off unless its a family emergency/sick?

Its not about the effect you have on the desk (you are a burden as an intern anyway), its the image you are sending.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.