Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking Durham but all this stuff about queens campus in stocklton being bad and not being part of actual durham apparantly has really put me off.

What do you guys think, i am reallllyyyyy stuck =[

ReputationRep:
    I am at sheff uni, it is amazing! my friend does biomed and she is loving it! sheff is reallllyyy awesome.

ReputationRep:
    Seeing as nobody has posted from Durham.... I am at Queens doing Biomed. Firstly if your worried its not Durham University as far as standards go, I can assure you just like I was assured a few weeks back the biomed degree is actually more rigorous (more lab time and equal lecture time) than the biosciences at main campus. It is also more competitive due to the fact that quite a lot of people who wanted to get into medicine with AAA-A*A*A* get given places, even tho the grades are advertised ABB, they must really like you to give such an offer. We also recieved a talk about the standards of the uni and how we are now having to compete with oxfords new biomed degree (once physiology).

Secondly, Queens campus is actually really modern and with the new boat house and massive new gym, is really nice. The colleges, stevo and snow are both within 1-8 minutes away from lectures which is handy (lecturers commute from durham unless they are based in the research institute), and the ground is flat with no cobbles . Also because the campus is small with only 2 colleges on it atm, you know a lot of the community. This is something you greatly lack at main campus as at main campus you apparently only know flatmates and some people in your lectures.

The town of STOCKTOONNNNN (DUHHH DUHHH DUHHHHHHHHHHH) is actually quite nice on weekdays and the weekend for shopping (not that you will have any time to go out to the town with all the work you get ). As for nights out, extra effort goes into planning nights to newcastle, leeeds by the colleges and then we have our own night out in middlesborough in cornerhouse on thursday. Basically Monday nights che bar , wednesday occasionally leeds ore newcastle, thursday nights corner house and saturday night up to durham for studio (clubbing) in durham student union on the free bus. Main campus have also got Klute, which is **** but every1 seems to love it there :/. The free bus also gets you to main campus in 40 mins for free if you wish to do societies based at main campus.

Sheffield is a good department, but Durham is very good too with I think, a little bit more weight behind it . The Queens campus is Durhams new development site. There is no more room at Durham for development of the uni, and there are rumours of a 3rd college soon to be built on the campus with all the land they just baught, and some departments moving down from main campus to queens. If you have any more questions just feel free to ask
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I suppose I may as well say I will be biased..
    But I have several friends at sheffield uni and they all love it there.. and I spent a week there in october (on gap year atm) and seen then uni, accom and union and it is the best so far without a doubt :yep:
    And as another side note I have an unconditional for biomed at sheffield next year so if all else goes badly you could be on the same course as me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beansonfish)
    how hard is biology at durham do you know??? like does EVERYONE say its hard even in first year??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesman13)
    how hard is biology at durham do you know??? like does EVERYONE say its hard even in first year??
    Durham biology degree im not sure. It will be hard as its a durham degree they will push you. I know biomed is hard in first year then much much harder in second with more intensive hours than the biology degree. You may need to go to the 'ask a current student' thread in the Durham uni section if you want to knwo about the biology degree.

If your good with the modules covered in the degree, get the grades offered and they accept you then im sure you should be fine, just need to work hard at it. Personally I don't enjoy ecology/ environment and plant biology, which makes it harder for me to learn and concentrate on.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.